An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member in New Zealand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Three Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: New member in New Zealand Reply with quote

Hello everybody.

I'm Tony (I'll soon update my details). I came to three wheels based on motorcycles owing to my (lovely) wife's directive. If I was to return to motorcycling I had to have a bigger footprint on the ground. There are too many bikers who get injured or killed here in NZ by being run over.
What started as a necessity (to get back on the road) has become a passion. Too few understand them and that makes them very interesting to me.

My first ride was a HD Freewheeler trike (now with 33,000 kms up). I soon added a HD Servicar (purchased out of California), then I needed a back up to the Freewheeler and decided on a water cooled T120 Bonneville that I added a Velorex to (and 7,000 kms). I soon decided that the Servi was a little slow and only ok for around town, so I have added a 1981 T140E Bonneville to which I am now fitting a Wilsonian GP Manx that I managed to acquire along the way.

Back to the Velorex - the tub is standard; the frame, I thought needed attention for a medium sized bike. I triangulated stiffeners in the frame, strengthened the shock tower, remade the swing arm (slightly longer, heaver fabrication, 20mm axle), Ohlins shock, Honda 16 inch cast wheel. The T120 has a Bill Hansen (of Custom Triple Trees) relaxed 5 degree tree, Andreanni fully adjustable front inserts, Ohlin rears. i did have a steering damper with the original tree, but head shake is all buy gone now, so no damper currently.

I fell onto this forum by an accident of a web search. It's the only one I have ventured into. Those reasons are many fold, but currently the primary subject I want to get involved with is building and fitting an anti roll bar to the T120 and tug. I was slowed up by not wanting to kick the exhaust only out the right side (for a lhs fitted tug), but I'm over that. The space is needed as the lhs muffler prohibits fitting the ARB to either the lower shock mount or axle center. I'll soon shift to the tech aspects of this forum once I'm underway. Finishing the T140 is the first job, however.

I also have a HD 26J and an Indian 741 (still military) and I'm sadly out of workshop space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: