An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FZ1 outfit in Oz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thespis

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: FZ1 outfit in Oz Reply with quote

I've finally started on my new sidecar project. 2005 FZ1 and an '81 DJP. (I've owned this chair for years and had it on three bikes so far. I bought the bike new in '05)

I haven't any photos of the body yet, but this is the bike and the chassis.

I'll be building a sub-frame to attach the chair and will post updates as it happens. Cool
'09 1050 Speed Triple
'82 XLH.....currently being rebuilt
'76/'66 T140V rigid chopper (needs rebuild)
http://www.ironpony.com.au
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There Thespis,

The Fazer 1000 is most probably the worlds best ever all-rounder bike .. it will do whatever you want from it .. including hauling a sidecar Big Grin

I had three of them (all solo) new in 2001 & 2003 and then the third one in December of 2005 ... they are no longer made and I got the very last one imported into the UK .. and it was Grey like yours

The main thing to watch is the ExUp Valve i the exhaust system, if it is not maintained (20 minute job to strip and service every 6 months !!) it will jam solid up and the bike will not run correctly! Servicing this Valve is (unbelievably) Not covered in the Workshop Manual, so it's a DIY job.

Looking at the Bike in your photo ..
Are you sure it's a 2005 model .. in the UK that year would have had a Black Frame ... Not the earlier Grey from 2001 & 2002.

The underside of the bike and Exup Valve area seems to be in a sad and sorry state (lots of rust ?) and therefor the Valve will be in need of some very urgent attention !!

Start spraying some real Penetration Oil onto it Now and keep spraying every 12 hours for a couple of weeks. The Standard Cover Bolts are made from Chewing Gum! SERIOUS Risk of Shearing Off !! & Argue

I would also strongly recommend that you join the on-line Fazer Owners Group .. where you will find ALL the Info you could ever need about this bike!

www.FZS1000.co.uk

The Worlds leading expert on 'all things Fazer' is my best mate and he lives 135 miles down the coast from me here in Spain.

By the way .. This bike is called an FZS 1000 in the UK and we then call it the 'Gen 1' to distinguish it from the completely different (fuel injection)Fazer 1000 of 2006 onwards!

If I can be of any help (re: Anything to do with The Bike) just shout Cool

Stay Safe Wink Trev (The Polar Bear in Spain)
thespis

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Polar Bear,

110% agreed on the FZ1 being the best all rounder .... EVER!

I know about Exups....I'm a motorcycle mechanic by trade, and worked for Yamaha dealers for many years. In fact, I rebuilt the Exup in an old FZR1000 only last week. That bike wouldn't rev past 4K because of Exup issues.

The bike is definitely an '05 .... FZS1000T. This, or Yamaha blue, were the colours we received in that year. I purchased the bike, new, through the dealer I was service manager for at the time. The bike has only ever been ridden by me or my 25yo son. I'm the only person to ever put a spanner to it.... from uncrating to now. BTW, in the colonies we don't call the color Grey, but Silver.

The 'rust' is more of an optical illusion....mixed with a nice coating of red iron ore dust/mud when that photo was taken. I was living in Port Hedland, an Iron Ore port/mining town, at the time. Trust me, it's all good down there. The header pipes discolour quickly if not polished, and I ride rather than polish. The cast section where the Exup is fitted always ends up that colour here, unless you regularly remove it and repaint.

This bike has done 50K kilometres. It's been serviced by the book with the exception of oil. I'm anal about oil. 10K for oil and 20k for filters doesn't work for me, so I change oil and filter every 5k. It's only had Motul synthetic since 5K. I also have only ever used 98 octane Premium fuel from selected outlets since new. I'm somewhat anal about fuel as well. Twisted Evil

Many people I know disagree with my choices on synthetics and 98 octane, but I really don't care....it works for me....I also use these products in my '09 Speed Triple and will only use the best in the Harley and the T140 when they hit the road....one day Wink

I've been a member of an FZ1 forum (they are called FZS1000 in Oz too, and were never called Fazers here....we just call them FZ1s) since I bought the bike, though never really active. I've not been impressed with forums in general. The one I've been on isn't the one you mention, so I'll slip over and have a look Cool
'09 1050 Speed Triple
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giddy Up Thespis Surprised)

So .. what's the state of play down your end Sport ...

I've been hanging on here for weeks .. can you drop us a few words in a Progress Report and some Photos ... PLEASE Surprised)

On-line here will be really nice for us all .. or direct to me if you're feeling a little shy ;o)

Stay Safe Trev The Polar Bear
thespis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polar Bear wrote:
Giddy Up Thespis Surprised)

So .. what's the state of play down your end Sport ...

I've been hanging on here for weeks .. can you drop us a few words in a Progress Report and some Photos ... PLEASE Surprised)

On-line here will be really nice for us all .. or direct to me if you're feeling a little shy ;o)

Stay Safe Trev The Polar Bear

Hey Trev,

not a lot unfortunately. Work and family commitments have seen to that.

I have had a new screen made for the chair; and a new weather cover, recovered seat and new carpets are being made at the moment. I've also collected all the material I need to make the subframe and mounts. All I need is time now! Photos soon, I hope Wink
'09 1050 Speed Triple
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: