An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longer Handlebars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legalr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Longer Handlebars Reply with quote

Early this winter I changed the handlebars on my bike from short clip-on bars to longer ones so that I could increase the lever for easier steering. My project took several weeks to assemble all the component parts so I haven't had a chance to test them out on the road yet as winter set in before I completed the change. My original bars from tip to tip were 27.5 inches. My new ones are 32.5 inches. Riding is still several weeks away for me.

Has anyone else tried longer handlebars for lighter steering effort?

http://www.msnusers.com/MotorcyclesSidecars/shoebox.msnw

http://www.msnusers.com/MotorcyclesSidecars/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
BMW R1150R/EZS Summit
2004 BMW K1200GT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
patric

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry , I changed the bars on my old rig ( 1986 BMW K100/ EML GT2 ) from K100RS bars to R1100GS bars /with setbacks .
I didn't do it for the leverage , but so I could get to a more upright position . I had my back operated on , and needed to get more upright .
It did make for a lot more leverage , but it took some time to get use to it . I would turn way more that I wanted too (over steer ) . I had a hard time making small steering inputs , I was smoother with the short bars , but after a time I got so it wasn't so jerky with the GS bars . .
I've put 300,000 miles on BMW motorcycles . From the Atlantic to the Pacific , The Golf of Mexico to Alaska . Everybody say's motorcycles are dangerous . I got hit by a truck while walking . Motorcycles are safe , it's that walking you have to watch out for Rolling Eyes .
Hope this helps ...Patric ... Cool
1987 Helix
legalr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Longer Handlebars Reply with quote

Quote:
It did make for a lot more leverage , but it took some time to get use to it . I would turn way more that I wanted too (over steer ) . I had a hard time making small steering inputs , I was smoother with the short bars , but after a time I got so it wasn't so jerky with the GS bars . .

Thanks, Pat, for your reply. I like the more leverage part but I can see where you are coming from though I'm anxious to be able to see how my new bars will affect the steering dynamics of my K1200RS/RX-5. Of course, I could always change back, but I feel confident that I'll like the change and adapt rather quickly to it too. Guess I'm the eternal optimist. Question
BMW R1150R/EZS Summit
2004 BMW K1200GT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
docmike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

I put a set off Helibars on the K11RS / EML a few years ago, mainly to get a more upright seating position. They are several inches wider than stock. It felt like power steering. Not to mention cut down the Motrin requirements on long rides.
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
legalr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Longer Handlebars Reply with quote

Quote:
I put a set off Helibars on the K11RS / EML a few years ago, mainly to get a more upright seating position. They are several inches wider than stock. It felt like power steering. Not to mention cut down the Motrin requirements on long rides.

Mike,
It's sounding better all the time. Makes me wonder why I didn't think about longer bars sooner? Big Grin
BMW R1150R/EZS Summit
2004 BMW K1200GT
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well being the backwards person that I am I had went to longer bars on all the rigs we have ever had except for the present one where I actually have gone to shorter bars.

Longer bars certainly did make the steering effort less. Yep, it is true that you turn the bars futher but it is not hard to get used to.
Claude Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
legalr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Longer Handlebars Reply with quote

Quote:
went to longer bars on all the rigs we have ever had except for the present one where I actually have gone to shorter bars.

I'm curious, Claude, why you opted for shorter bars on your present rig? Was it for clearance between the bike and the sidecar? Or something else?
Question
BMW R1150R/EZS Summit
2004 BMW K1200GT
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Longer Handlebars Reply with quote

legalr wrote:
Quote:
went to longer bars on all the rigs we have ever had except for the present one where I actually have gone to shorter bars.

I'm curious, Claude, why you opted for shorter bars on your present rig? Was it for clearance between the bike and the sidecar? Or something else?
Question

Believe it or not the doctor told me that the leaning forward position would be better on my back. I had a crash a couple of years ago on a solo bike and broke my elbow, had a bone sticking out of my wrist, broke some ribs and two vertebre (other than that it was no big deal..lol). Anyhow...Leaning forward would take the jolting off of the back better than sitting upright he said....so I tried it and it sure seemed to work.
The bars on the rig are not real real narrow bu tcompared to the motocross and flat track bars I used to run on a sidecar outfit they are quite different. Thye are aftermarket bars for a sportbike..don't know the actual width.
Claude
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ralph

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe Claude we ran flatrack bars on our sidecars to. Cool
legalr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Longer Handlebars Reply with quote

Claude says:
Quote:
Believe it or not the doctor told me that the leaning forward position would be better on my back.

When we get to Maggie Valley you can try my rig and see how my new bars feel for comparison purposes.
BMW R1150R/EZS Summit
2004 BMW K1200GT
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Longer Handlebars Reply with quote

legalr wrote:
Claude says:
Quote:
Believe it or not the doctor told me that the leaning forward position would be better on my back.

When we get to Maggie Valley you can try my rig and see how my new bars feel for comparison purposes.

Okay, will do...we're still on for Country Cupboard though right?
Claude
legalr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Longer Handlebars Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, we are. I've got my reservations all made. And after I read the post I realized how it read but you don't have to wait till we reach Maggie Valley, you can try my rig when we meet at the Country Cupboard or on the way down the BRP.
BMW R1150R/EZS Summit
2004 BMW K1200GT
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer Handlebars Reply with quote

legalr wrote:
Quote:

Yes, we are. I've got my reservations all made. And after I read the post I realized how it read but you don't have to wait till we reach Maggie Valley, you can try my rig when we meet at the Country Cupboard or on the way down the BRP.

Sounds good Larry. We can switch machines for a while. Let me get this thing done and , hopefully, roadworthy first...LOL

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
legalr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude wrote
Quote:
Sounds good Larry. We can switch machines for a while. Let me get this thing done and , hopefully, roadworthy first...LOL

What do you have to do before you consider it "done"? Question
BMW R1150R/EZS Summit
2004 BMW K1200GT
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done? It'll never be done Very Happy ...but to get it roadworthy quite a bit yet. Pretty sure we'll have it done in time to play with it here , work some bugs out and make it to Maggie Valley.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: