An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does this arrangement work? (weight distribution)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: How does this arrangement work? (weight distribution) Reply with quote

We were discussing A-arm suspension for the sidecar in a different thread, and then I came across this while cruising around the forum this afternoon:

This rig looks like it uses such a suspension, but my question is, with that raised crossbar (presumably to provide more support for the suspension, and also to stiffen the whole rig), how is the passenger arranged? Does the passenger sit forward of the crossbar like I suspect? Or above?

This raises the question for me, how important is passenger weight distribution in a HPS? Does it matter a whole lot if the passenger's weight is forward or aft of the sidecar axle? I think you would want to have the weight inline with the sidecar's axle, but maybe it doesn't matter so long as that weight is primarily within the tipover lines.

Thoughts? Recommended reading?
JayBoy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the rider's arse is behind and below that cross member structure.
IanJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is the passenger's seat more or less permanently reclined in that setup?
JayBoy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really reclining, although the SideBike Commanche puts the rider in somewhat of a reclining postion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: