An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHS question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: CHS question Reply with quote

ok, does it matter if the steering pivot is offset or does it have to be exactly centre of width of wheel?
zentime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CHS question Reply with quote

Gazza wrote:
ok, does it matter if the steering pivot is offset or does it have to be exactly centre of width of wheel?

From my experience, it works better if the steering is exactly on center. That said, it's less complicated to build with pivots offset. There are many rigs built with offset pivots that are very popular. Sidebike and RDS are two I can think of.

will August ever come............
arbalest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: CHS question Reply with quote

Gazza,

If you do not have the resources to design nad build your own CHS spindle, You can use the spindle, control arms and ball joints from an early Mazda Miata. The Miata uses zero scrub radius geometry, so is useable in this application. You must use the stock wheel and tire size, though. You simply use the driver's side front suspension hardware (assuming your Miata is RHD). Do a search of this site and follow Cudgel's build. He uses Miata bits for the front and chair suspension. His rig is a right hand chair, so you would build in mirror image.

Mike Lydon
Gazza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CHS question Reply with quote

arbalest wrote:
Gazza,

If you do not have the resources to design nad build your own CHS spindle, You can use the spindle, control arms and ball joints from an early Mazda Miata. The Miata uses zero scrub radius geometry, so is useable in this application. You must use the stock wheel and tire size, though. You simply use the driver's side front suspension hardware (assuming your Miata is RHD). Do a search of this site and follow Cudgel's build. He uses Miata bits for the front and chair suspension. His rig is a right hand chair, so you would build in mirror image.

Mike Lydon

cheers will have a look for this, only asking as, the centre of wheel width is also centre of brake disc, not leaving much space for making something strong, if i make pivot to one side i can make something simpler and stronger, Question
arbalest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: CHS question Reply with quote

Gazza,

The brake disc is not at the center of the wheel. In a true center hub system like Zentime has, the upper and lower ball joint lie in the vertical plane, AND in the center of the wheel, but with a caster angle that results in a trail in the three inch range. In a system with a kingpin inclination angle like the Miata or the RDS systems, an imaginary line through the upper and lower ball joints intersects the vertical plane (parallel to the direction of travel) through the center of the wheel AT THE GROUND. This results in zero scrub radius geometry, which is required when there is only one wheel steering.
Gazza

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry arbalest, i have confused you, when i made the comment ''centre of wheel is also centre of disc'' i was refering to my wheel and disc,
i have found the thread you were refering

http://hpsidecars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
i think i can fabricate a hub with zero scrub geometry, thanks for your replies, i can now see a way of making a strong hub and getting good results Big Grin
arbalest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: CHS question Reply with quote

Gazza,

Could you share your hub design with the forum, once it is finished?

Mike Lydon
Gazza

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CHS question Reply with quote

arbalest wrote:
Gazza,

Could you share your hub design with the forum, once it is finished?

Mike Lydon

only if it doesn't turn out crap Big Grin
Gazza

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a budget build, basic tools in a shed sort of thing, using some car components, probably over engineered and to heavy, but i have an idea and i have only one way of seeing if it will work, i could do a build thread if there is interest
docmike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i could do a build thread if there is interest

I'm interested
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
arbalest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: CHS question Reply with quote

Gazza,

By all means, please let us follow along on your build.

Mike
Gazza

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, will take some pics and post them this week
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: