An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hallo from a Minnesotan sidecarist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierbassi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Hallo from a Minnesotan sidecarist Reply with quote

I live in Minneapolis, MN and I became a sidecar enthusiast in 1990 when I purchased an EML Tour/T for my 1983 Honda GL1100. I enjoyed so much my rig that, in 2001, I decided to convert my first 1989 Yamaha V-Max to sidecar use. This new rig has a traditional and conservative look with a Peter Stern's V-Max conversion kit (traditional Earl type forks and 15" wheels) and a small but cute Bobby/LE sidecar from Schone Linie also purchased from Peter Stern. My current sidecar project is converting my second 2001 V-Max to pull a International sidecar (an American copy of the Swallow Flight sidecar but without the "fin" in the back). I will keep you posted when this project will complete....!

I would like to own a Comanche sidecar but cannot afford another rig in my already jammed garage so, if I find a Comanche, it would have to be attached to one of my current V-Maxes.

I met many HPS owners both at the 2000/2001 USCA rally in Lexington, Kentucky, and 2007 USCA rally in Bone, North Carolina. GREAT rigs, GREAT guys but.....my sidecar riding skills are very mediocre and after so many years with my V-Max rig, I have to be very cautious when opening......its throttle.

Take care,
Piero Bassi
Minneapolis, Minnesota Very Happy
docmike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piero,

Welcome, its about time you made it over here.

Mike
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Gazza

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate, welcome, any pics of Vmax rig?
Pierbassi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are:

Pierbassi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I still remember the ride you gave me in your EML Speed 2000 in Lexington, Kentucky. You scared the hell out of me. I may not be a good sidecar rider but I am definitely a much worse sidecar PASSENGER!!!

Ciao
Piero
Gazza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice rig, what rear wheel/tyre are you using, and is the swinging arm standard?
sorry to be nosey Big Grin
docmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still remember the ride you gave me in your EML Speed 2000 in Lexington, Kentucky. You scared the hell out of me. I may not be a good sidecar rider but I am definitely a much worse sidecar PASSENGER!!!

I think I had only owned the rig for a couple months at the time Laughing Laughing Laughing
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to meet you Pierbassi, you fit ski's to the outfit !
I hear it's snow abit in your parts.

Nice looking outfit, oh and welcome to the site.

Keith
Pierbassi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazza,

Rear wheel is a 15" EZS aluminum wheel with 185X65R15 tire while the front and sidecar wheels are 15" EZS aluminum wheels with 175X55R15 tires. Everything else (except the L.L. forks and shocks) is stock. The rear wheel is machined in a way to fit the stock swing arm. However, if I need to remove the rear wheel, I will have to disinflate the tire to make it go through the opening of the stock swing arm. A technical inconvenient of this rig is that the swing arm of the L.L. front end produces, at speed, a very sensitive steering, at times not very easy....to control. I may have to increase the "trail" of the bike front end.

Take care
Piero
Gazza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that, nice to see another Vmax rig, really need to get mine off stock wheels, hope you sort your front end prob, atleast your sidecar bolted to the solid side of bike frame, i had to work around the removable section (where it unbolts to remove tank) cheers again
Pierbassi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! The frame is strong as it uses a Stern's subframe very specific to the V-Max with the sidecar bottom mounts welded on it. Besides, I was adviced to connect the sidecar with three top struts instead of two. This helps a lot the stock V-Max frame.

Piero
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: