An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arbalest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

I noticed in the photos posted of your Blackbird steering changes, that it appears you are using an automotive brake disc with the stock Blackbird brake calipers. The automotive disc is quite a bit thicker than the Blackbird motorcycle discs. What did you do to fit the Blackbird calipers to the automotive brake disc?

Thanks,

Mike Lydon
zentime

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

arbalest wrote:
I noticed in the photos posted of your Blackbird steering changes, that it appears you are using an automotive brake disc with the stock Blackbird brake calipers. The automotive disc is quite a bit thicker than the Blackbird motorcycle discs. What did you do to fit the Blackbird calipers to the automotive brake disc?

Thanks,

Mike Lydon

What we do is make a spacer that goes between the caliper halves. You'll need to make sure it's flat and parallel. Duplicate the o-ring sealing configuration both sides and clearance holes for the longer bolts you'll need.

How's the project coming? Any pictures yet?

Bill

will August ever come............
arbalest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

Bill, not ready for photos just yet. Have procured the 16 x 6 wheels, trying to find a rear brake disc with a 5 x 100 bolt pattern with a shallower dish than the stock GM disc. I may have to get a flat disc and have a hub made. I am considering using precision heim joints in place of ball joints as they take up less space, although space will not be an issue if I can get a shallower dished brake disc. I promise I will have photos soon. Thanks for the caliper info.

Mike
zentime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're going to keep the pressure up for some pictures! Big Grin

Here's a nice add for rod ends.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+401087+115+4294757401

bill

arbalest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

Bill, are these rod ends suitable for suspension loads? They seem very inexpensive. The rod I was looking at retailed for around $50 each.

Mike
zentime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: brakes Reply with quote

arbalest wrote:
Bill, are these rod ends suitable for suspension loads? They seem very inexpensive. The rod I was looking at retailed for around $50 each.

Mike

I was only referring to the rod end seals they sell not any of the rod ends. I've used their seals or shocks before and they work great. I don't really know which rod ends would be suitable. We've never used them that way, so I don't have the experience to say. I know they use them in race cars all the time so I would just call them and ask for their recommendations. They should know. Hope that helps.

Bill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: