An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hooky's hack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Pictures / Photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Hooky's hack Reply with quote

[img][/img][/img[IMG]

A photo of the current outfit. Hopefully one day the sidecar will be part of the ZRX with a center hub steer. "ONE DAY" Rolling Eyes . [img][/img]
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooky
If you don't dream then you must be dead.

Thing is dreams do come true sometimes, so keep dreaming.

Nice outfit, can you get CHS over there ?
We seem to have a lack of people making them here.

Keith
Hooky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,
thanks for the reply,originally I was going to use a leading link and liked the look of the EZS and the Merlin frontends.EZS replied to my email for price but with the Australian $ the way it is it was not a viable option.Then I noticed some CHS frontends on the internet, the more I looked at the pictures of them the more I decided this is what I want on the frontend of my ZRX.Being a left mounted sidecar did not help with trying to find some one to manufacture it, then I found a guy who's been a great help,Bill. M. After a few emails I recieved a package from the States and those contents are a very good start to my CHS fabrication.
With your outfit did you buy it as it is or did you have the bike and take it to Merlin?, we dont have many options for sidecar manufactures over here.
Thanks Keith
Hooky.
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many options on sidecar choice Laughing Laughing Laughing
Here in England we have three options, two think they are still building for the 1950's, Merlins seemed to be the only one who designedfor the 21st centuary.
The Dutch, Germans, French & Swiss make some out of this world sidecars but alas all on the wrong side for me.
My wife is wheelchair bound due to MS so the sidecar was built for her, the bike was bought new and transported straight to Merlins.
The first time I rode it was as a sidecar.

CHS I would love to put one on mine, like you no one does them over here, it seems the Americans have the monopoly on producing them.

I'll check I think our story is in general thread, if not I'll put it up and you can have a laugh.

Keith
thespis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooky wrote:
Hi Keith,
thanks for the reply,originally I was going to use a leading link and liked the look of the EZS and the Merlin frontends.EZS replied to my email for price but with the Australian $ the way it is it was not a viable option.Then I noticed some CHS frontends on the internet, the more I looked at the pictures of them the more I decided this is what I want on the frontend of my ZRX.Being a left mounted sidecar did not help with trying to find some one to manufacture it, then I found a guy who's been a great help,Bill. M. After a few emails I recieved a package from the States and those contents are a very good start to my CHS fabrication.
With your outfit did you buy it as it is or did you have the bike and take it to Merlin?, we dont have many options for sidecar manufactures over here.
Thanks Keith
Hooky.

Hi Hooky,

Interesting...my first sidecar (the little Squire hanging off the R100 in my profile pic) was initially mounted onto a GSX1100ET, very similar to yours...even the same colour!! Unfortunately the chair was a little light for such a heavy bike and we had much trouble making it handle. After lots of trial and error I gave up and sold the Suzi, but kept the chair. I then bought the R100 and after a year or so solo riding, I tried the sidecar again..... It worked much better on the Beemer (granted, I had done bulk research and learned a lot more about sidecars in the intervening months Wink), a most lovely outfit it was, even with the tele forks. I ran that outfit for almost five years.

I'd be very interested in some more details on your package from the US....if you don't mind sharing such info! Question
The front end is one of the things I'd want to tackle on my FZ1..(and I have other plans for the superceded tele forks Cool ) and any leads on alternatives would be hugely welcome! Wheels are the other issue...if only 17" car tyres were made narrow enough for my rims Wink

cheers
'09 1050 Speed Triple
'82 XLH.....currently being rebuilt
'76/'66 T140V rigid chopper (needs rebuild)
http://www.ironpony.com.au
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hooky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thespis,
our GSX handles quite well considering it still has the original front end but top gears just about had enough of pulling the chair around(bit noisey).As to the parts from the States I had Yankee Eng. make me a hub assembly and supply me a wheel basicly, Aussie $ made it an expensive exercise.You should have a good look on this site and some of its links, there quite a few different designs, even some nice looking leading links(EZS&Merlin).Regards to your 17" tyre problem from what I have read on the forum it's not safe to run a car tyre on the bike rim (different bead). Anyway good luck with which ever way you go. Confused
(any pics of the GSX?)

Hooky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Pictures / Photos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: