An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it just me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Is it just me Reply with quote

Given the Victory is full of radical tachnology for 2009, whilst the Vincent boasted the same standard of technology in 1955.
Have the designs of touring bikes changed that much ?

Keith
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not design, but size has changed.
Big Grin
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mmmm !
The Vincent was a 1,000cc in 1955, so imagine if they had stayed in busness what cc they would have gotton up too !
I mean it as no criticism of Victory themselves, just that good designs maybe improved apon but basically stay the same.

Keith
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmcsheehy wrote:
Maybe not design, but size has changed.
Big Grin

No kidding... the Victory weighs 850 pounds dry! And that's BEFORE you bolt on a sidecar. Basically double the weight of the Vincent.

So the 50-year-old bike is lighter, faster, and prettier... this is progress Question
zentime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me Reply with quote

sidecarkeith wrote:
Given the Victory is full of radical tachnology for 2009, whilst the Vincent boasted the same standard of technology in 1955.
Have the designs of touring bikes changed that much ?

Keith

One has to wonder if there are all that many new ideas in motorcycle cycle designs. Dam brits have already thought of most everything Laughing

I've had my share of bikes with all the inner workings covered up but I have to admit I like to the look at the inner workings of things. I think I'm going to go buy a clear case for my computer, phone and anything else I can find Big Grin

will August ever come............
docmike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I'm going to go buy a clear case for my computer, phone and anything else I can find

Or you could always steampunk it

http://steampunkworkshop.com/victorian-all-one-pc

or there's always a steampunk bike

http://steampunkworkshop.com/steampunk-motorbike.shtml
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Me on My Vincent Black Knight Rig in 1962 Reply with quote

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd27/purplebearphotos/?action=view&current=VincentCombo1962or3.jpg
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polar Bear,
Hows that sidecar build of yours coming along ?
I was expecting pictures of your new rig by now !

Keith
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Keith,

Well mate .. in a word .. the answer to your question is .. SLOW !!

I was up in Holland over a month back .. checking on progress and sorting out the paintwork 'design' .. as you do.

The last report from there (ten days ago) was that ''The Chair has been painted White and the Red design is being done now''.

Have to say I was Very Impressed with the EZS Workshop set up and the Fabrication Engineering stuff all looks really good!

No point in me Rattling any Cages now .. but I hope to get the 'Come and get it' call any day soon? Watch this space.

By the way ... I'll be riding it home to Spain via Scotland and having several 'stop-overs' as I come south through England .. before getting the Santander ferry from Plymouth.

It might all be as much as a two week job? I'm in no rush .. I'll be having a holiday in the UK ... lots of nice cold and wet Sad

Hope all is good 'up your end' ...

Stay Safe Cool Trev The Polar Bear
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as your still happy, then there's no problem.
You seem happy with the progress and workmanship, so you just got to wait. Laughing

Keith
Hooky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Polar Bear
I'm Steve, noticed your about to pick up a new outfit, looking forward to seeing a picture of it. EZS have a good range of sidecars which one have you chosen?. Just had a look at a map, looks like you'll get to know your new rig pretty well by the time you arrive home. Have a good trip.

Steve.
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There 'Hooky' or do I call you Steve ? Very Happy

I've gone for the EZS 'Rally' model mate .. but Rolling Eyes

As always I'm never very happy with anything 'normal' so I had to specify just a few little extras like .. as you do.

I'm having the Bike sorted with the EZS Leading Links, etc .. and the Sidecar Body and Chassis 'doctored' a bit to take a 15" wheel.

This will give me all three wheels the same size and all fitted with the same size (195/45) Toyo tyres.

Also having an extra light built into the nose cone of the chair.

The fabrication work is all done and the sidecar is currently being given a matching paint job (Honda White) and a special 'one off' Design in the Honda Red.

I think it should look good, be a right bugger to keep clean and probabley be a Real Pig to ride .. but it's all good fun.

Yes .. my ride home looks a fair few miles on any map .. but without wanting to sound flash or big headed in any way .. it's nothing very new for me .. 500 mile days have always been kind of routine .. I'm a ex long haul Trucker .. as well as other things .. so I guess that helps. On this run I'll be on my own (no Navigator Rolling Eyes ) so I'll be able to 'Clog On' a bit if I feel like it.

Now .. If I have the right Hooky .. you might be down in OZ ? I've been there and done that .. Annie my better half and I did a five week run down there on a Really sad Old Dog of a Hardly Dangerous solo .. we rode the best part of 3.000 miles up and then back down down on the Great Pacific Highway .. with a few little 'off road' type diversions out into The Bush .. I could write a book .. but that would take me a truck load of 'Stubbies' I recon Sport.

Photos of the new of the new 'Rig' as soon as I can guys ..

Look out for them Bloody Big Reds Sport .. hit one of them buggers and it could kill ya .. and the bloody Sheila! Sad

Stay Safe Guys Cool Trev The Polar Bear
Hooky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Polar Bear,
Hooky is fine, the Rally is a nice choice, be interesting to see it with with your changes to it, should be good. Can I ask how the name Polar Bear came about, you can imagine the picture in my mind as I type this.

Hooky
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There Hooky,

My Polar Bear name is a true story from way back in my Navy Diver days ..
I have it here in my box of stories .. I've written a few True Tales over the years .. even had a few published.

The ''Why Polar Bear'' job takes about 6.000 words I think .. might be best if you send me a Direct Email address and I'll post it to you .. along with a few photos Razz

Last thing we want to do is clog the works up on here! Laughing

Stay Safe Sport Very Happy Trev (The Polar Bear) Spain
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can take it so why not share it with us all. Big Grin
Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: