An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

transmission help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alcatrazhack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: transmission help Reply with quote

I am in the process of upgrading my bike. The one area I am not sure what to do right now is transmission. Mine is an EX500. Sprocket (including ratios) and a partial brakings systems were already changed to racing components.

Anyone who has similar machinery can tell me what sort of ratio I should use? For the record here is some stats:

Factory settings:
# gear ratios (transmission) (1) 36/14, 2.571 (2) 32/18, 1.78 (3) 29/21, 1.38 (4) 27/24, 1.12 (5) 25/26, 0.96 (6) 23/27, 0.85
# gear ratios (overall) (1) 17.87 (2) 12.37 (3) 9.60 (4) 7.83 (5) 6.88 (6) 5.92
maximum speed in gears @ engine redline (1) 44 (2) 63 (3) 82 (4) 101 (5) 118 (6) 133

Due to the change of sprockets into racing sprockets, the last stat is no longer relevant. at (1) it is well over 60, at (2) it is 85 right now.

Bike is slightly around 370 lbs now because of the change of some components, instead of the standard 373. Velorex 562 is slightly heavier than the standard because Doug B. and I decided to put fat tire on it, and get rid of the regular rim. At my home my gf's dad fabricated our own suspension modification for the velorex..(benefits of being in a racing family) but it probably does not make much difference in terms of transmission.

This is not a priority. Right now I am trying to take care of installing some touring accessories first. My rig will become my primary vehicle from now on, as I basically hand over my van to my gf.

I am not sure which type of ratio I should prefer right now. Better accelaration in a short distance (ie, drag race), or the other way?
Garelli Monza GT
Kenna Sidecar (Project)

Have Pole, Will Crash
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: