An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Newbie Hackster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimothyPilgrim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: A Newbie Hackster Reply with quote

Hello guys, my name is Tim, this is my first post.

I've been interested in sidecars for a while, originally coming from cruiserdom but now mounted atop a CBR1100XX. I just purchased a nice sidecar off of a nearby rider who sold it on eBay. It's a Hitchhiker model with a colour very near that, almost perfect, to my Candy Pheonix Blue bike. It was unfortunately painted with silver flames to match the PO's old Harley, but I'll probably just leave them there until after it's mounted to my bike.

So the next step is installation. I've found a sidecar dealer/installer a couple hours from my house, but he won't be able to work on it until March, will require 3 weeks turnaround, and the cost, while high at ~$800, is in line with what I've seen other dealers charge. The XX doesn't have a tube frame, so a subframe will need to be fabricated for attachment. Currently they both sit, next to my wife's Bandit 1200, in my garage for the winter months.

So, here I wait.

Tim
TimothyPilgrim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike:

The Sidecar:

Tim
zentime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim and welcome aboard. If you haven't already, you might check out these links for hints as to what's involved. Smile

Roger's

http://public.fotki.com/sidebike/honda_cbrxx_with_sidecar/

Bill M's

http://hometown.aol.com/sidebike99/forsale1.htm

mine

http://members.aol.com/blackbirdezs/Index.html
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A Newbie Hackster Reply with quote

TimothyPilgrim wrote:
Hello guys, my name is Tim, this is my first post.

I've been interested in sidecars for a while, originally coming from cruiserdom but now mounted atop a CBR1100XX. I just purchased a nice sidecar off of a nearby rider who sold it on eBay. It's a Hitchhiker model with a colour very near that, almost perfect, to my Candy Pheonix Blue bike. It was unfortunately painted with silver flames to match the PO's old Harley, but I'll probably just leave them there until after it's mounted to my bike.

So the next step is installation. I've found a sidecar dealer/installer a couple hours from my house, but he won't be able to work on it until March, will require 3 weeks turnaround, and the cost, while high at ~$800, is in line with what I've seen other dealers charge. The XX doesn't have a tube frame, so a subframe will need to be fabricated for attachment. Currently they both sit, next to my wife's Bandit 1200, in my garage for the winter months.

So, here I wait.

Tim

Hi Tim:

Welcome to the forum, from the other side of the GTA.

Beyond attaching the sidecar to the CBR-XX with a subframe, have you any other planned changes to make the outfit act as a unit?

Looks like an interesting project in the making.

And my photo site link, which you may or may not find handy for ideas in putting your setup together.

http://www.chairintheair.ca/gallery/v/website/
TimothyPilgrim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great links guys. Thanks.

Bill, I'd still like to have my 2-wheeler available for solo riding, so I don't intend to convert the front end. What's it called, a leading link suspension? Or is it a reverse trailing link suspension?

I also don't know about what I can do myself. If I were planning to mount it on the wife's bike, a Bandit 1200, I'd do it myself because it's got a tubular frame. But the XX does not, hence the need for expertise. Budget is tight now though as I've got my firstborn arriving in a month or so.

Tim

Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimothyPilgrim wrote:

Bill, I'd still like to have my 2-wheeler available for solo riding, so I don't intend to convert the front end. What's it called, a leading link suspension? Or is it a reverse trailing link suspension?

I also don't know about what I can do myself. If I were planning to mount it on the wife's bike, a Bandit 1200, I'd do it myself because it's got a tubular frame. But the XX does not, hence the need for expertise. Budget is tight now though as I've got my firstborn arriving in a month or so.

Tim

Hi Tim:

I don't want to dissuade you from a plan, or experiencing setting up a rig of your own, according to your own mechanical/fabrication aptitude.. but i guess i need to interject a little reality into the process of planning, whether you want it or not Smile

First off.. frankly, the CBR-XX is going to need work to make it an outfit with that sidecar, work that will disqualify it from being an easy-on / easy-off solo motorcycle.

A properly fabricated sub-frame is likely going to require mods to your bodywork, and it may also cause some clearance issues in cornering. A sub-frame by it's nature, is not an easy-on / easy-off affair, generally speaking.

You are going to need to look at spring rates of your suspension, even keeping the stock solo suspension. You'll need to stiffen up all three points of the triangle. In pulling the sidecar off for solo use, you'll likely then find the CBR-XX is an extremely harsh ride .. comparatively speaking, it'll now be shaker bicycle in terms of suspension compliance, or lack thereof.

The first year i took my rig to Deals Gap (04), i had just mounted my sidecar on and gone through round 1 of mods - rear car tire, and swaybar. Front suspension was stock telescopics - It was dangerous, and did NOT want to corner. I almost did an endo off into a Blue Ridge Mountain abyss, because it would not turn when it needed to, no matter the desperate muscling i gave it at that moment of near disaster. Your's will have that similar trait of handling like a fully loaded Mack truck with a shot power steering box, without suspension mods..

I don't want to dissuade you from the sidecar experience, but it might be more economical for you to buy, modify AND insure a more appropriate motorcycle and set it up as a dedicated rig for the upcoming 'family rides', while leaving the CBR-XX unmolested for 'getaway from the family' rides Big Grin if you aren't prepared from the outset to put a bit of money into a rig that will be both safe and enjoyable, by general sidecar duty standards, or the higher performance variety.

I'm thinking that chair would go very well with an 1100 V-Star or similar.. in terms of compatability and the lesser overall need for changes to a more appropriate bike...

Simply my opinion, such as it is. Take with a grain of salt Smile
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a secondary thought..

It might actually be easier to approach the project from this angle, if you've got a competent fabricator on your side..

http://www.armec.com/kmr1.html

This way, you can leave the suspension largely alone, retain all of your stock front end bits, and have the potential of easy-on/easy-off a lot easier than a rigid rig Smile
zentime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
TimothyPilgrim wrote:

Tim

Hi Tim:

I don't want to dissuade you from a plan, or experiencing setting up a rig of your own, according to your own mechanical/fabrication aptitude.. but i guess i need to interject a little reality into the process of planning, whether you want it or not Smile

First off.. frankly, the CBR-XX is going to need work to make it an outfit with that sidecar, work that will disqualify it from being an easy-on / easy-off solo motorcycle.

A properly fabricated sub-frame is likely going to require mods to your bodywork, and it may also cause some clearance issues in cornering. A sub-frame by it's nature, is not an easy-on / easy-off affair, generally speaking.

You are going to need to look at spring rates of your suspension, even keeping the stock solo suspension. You'll need to stiffen up all three points of the triangle. In pulling the sidecar off for solo use, you'll likely then find the CBR-XX is an extremely harsh ride .. comparatively speaking, it'll now be shaker bicycle in terms of suspension compliance, or lack thereof.

The first year i took my rig to Deals Gap (04), i had just mounted my sidecar on and gone through round 1 of mods - rear car tire, and swaybar. Front suspension was stock telescopics - It was dangerous, and did NOT want to corner. I almost did an endo off into a Blue Ridge Mountain abyss, because it would not turn when it needed to, no matter the desperate muscling i gave it at that moment of near disaster. Your's will have that similar trait of handling like a fully loaded Mack truck with a shot power steering box, without suspension mods..

I don't want to dissuade you from the sidecar experience, but it might be more economical for you to buy, modify AND insure a more appropriate motorcycle and set it up as a dedicated rig for the upcoming 'family rides', while leaving the CBR-XX unmolested for 'getaway from the family' rides Big Grin if you aren't prepared from the outset to put a bit of money into a rig that will be both safe and enjoyable, by general sidecar duty standards, or the higher performance variety.

I'm thinking that chair would go very well with an 1100 V-Star or similar.. in terms of compatability and the lesser overall need for changes to a more appropriate bike...

Simply my opinion, such as it is. Take with a grain of salt Smile

Well put Bill. That needed to be said. I'm sure it's what a lot of us were thinking. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure Tim but Bill, having done the incremental approach is speaking from experience. There are a ton of cheap good used bikes out there you could put a sidecar on. Get an EasySteer kit or have the top tree modified on whatever bike you can find. Nothing worse than a sidecar that doesn't work well. You could probably put together some sort of conventional rig on a bike with a frame that worked pretty well for you at this stage. And probably cheaper and safer. One of our members here, Norm P has done some pretty interesting things. Maybe he'll chime in with some suggestions.

bill
TimothyPilgrim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice guys and that's why I'm here, to gain knowledge from those wiser than I. I still want/need the sidecar rig since I'm adding a 3rd member to the family. My wife and I both want our child to grow up with bikes, and this is a good way to do it we feel. Of course, I don't want to compromise safety either, so if I have to go the hardcore route, so be it. Twisted Evil

And it may end up that we put the sidecar on the Bandit, in fact that's a very realistic possibility. My wife is a more laid back rider and values the travel experience moreso than highspeed leaning. That the colours don't match is a non-issue, we're quite skilled in repainting motorcycles.

The leaning hacks are a new concept to me and that Armec looks sweet. Hmmm.

Tim

Flint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim

If you think on a leaner Concept, dont forget the other one who is building such things. I was owner of a Kalich Swing and i think its a very good possibility.
Look at this one, maybe the colour is not really good, but it is a bandit 1200 and the combination is ok.

this one and more on http://www.kalich.de/html/schwenker.html

and this one was mine, i was so happy with it Big Grin

if you need some infos about this one, tell me, i try to answer you.
good luck by surching the wright one Exclamation

some tecnical infos on my site (only in german) http://www.flint.at/html/schwenker.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: