An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from Oklahoma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WLO48

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Hello from Oklahoma Reply with quote

Hello All,

My Name is Larry O'Daniel. I started riding cycles when I was 12, 1960.
It was really a Cushman scooter, it had 8 HP, 2 speed transmission, and my dad was afraid of the front brake so he made me take it off. AND many many times I wished I had that front brake to help stop. I delivered newspapers on the Cushman and had trouble carrying all the papers so I built a sidecar. It had 1" steel tubing frame, a 24" square metal box on it with a boat trailer tire. It had no suspension, didn't really know what that was back then, and no one knew anything about aligning it so it would go straight. I quickly learned about how to set up a sidecar. And before it was all over I had built 4 for people around the area.

After many cycles and adventures in fun far away places such as Vietnam I settled down to a Goldwing with a Vetter Terraplane sidecar. And again, no one knew much about sidecars so I learned on my own. I learned about trail, lean, toe-in, and sidecar brakes. My two youngest boys grew up in that sidecar. I learned very quickly that "flying" a sidecar knocked out rear wheel bearings on my Goldwing and sure created a unique wear pattern on the sidewall. My balance point was when my left side running board just started to scrape the pavement, and if I folded it up before I lifted the car I could go ahead and shift/drive the cycle about 50 mph without too much trouble. And as always with anything we like I have regretted the day I ever sold it.

Fast forward to now and after 4 more different sidecars, I presently drive a 1991 Harley Davidson Softail Springer with a Motorvation Spyrder sidecar. I am an activated Army reserve Military Police Major stationed at Ft. Sill. Due to a "OOPS" by the doctors here I lost my entire right leg and have to drive with the sidecar. I found out that I couldn't pickup the Harley if it fell over at the stop signs so I put the sidecar on. My crutches fit on brackets I have mounted on the struts connecting the car to the bike.

I have driven this setup 23,000 + miles in 2 years now. My only complaint is that I didn't order the disc brake setup at the time I ordered the car from Motorvation. I miss the sidecar brake. My setup on the car must be pretty close, I just replaced the sidecar tire after 23,000 miles and then it was only because it was not balanced correctly and developed the "out-of-balance" wear pattern that "roars" down the highway. I spun balance this tire so it should last longer. It is a new Harley take-off, a Dunlop, so it should wear pretty good.

I am presently running a Harley Dunlop on the rear of the Harley and only expect about 8,000 to 9,000 miles out of it. I would love to find a car tire that would fit my stock Harley spoke 16" wheel. I am sure I can get better mileage out of a car tire than a cycle tire. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

This is NOT that short, but this is the short introduction of me. Hope you all find it interesting.

Almost forgort, I have a degree in Industrial Education Automotive with many minors underneath that, such as Welding, Electrical drafting/design, Building Construction, Business Management, and Architecture design.

Ride safe,

Larry
docmike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

Welcome

I spent a week or so at Ft. Sill a couple years ago, helping with instrumentation at Fire Support. Lots of big guns out there. (And a huge Christmas light display down the median of one of the highways, very impressive.)

Be careful with the 16 inch car tire. There is a slight difference in diameter between car and motorcycle tires, you'll need to one way or another mount a care rim on the bike. I'm not that familair with Harleys so I'm probably not much help.

Claude (swaybar2002)http://hpsidecars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=402
makes adapters for BMW and I've seen adds for Gold Wing adapters, so somebody should do HD's. It will be worth it if you can find the right adapter / wheel

(I heard Claude's computer is dead so you may have to call him if you want to find out more.)

Mike
[/url]
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
WLO48

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I had heard that the diameter was different, but have not checked it. Having owned a tire store for several years I watch tires and how they are changed. One thing has played "around" in my head concerning the car tire and cycle tire, the thickness of the tire lip where it seats on the rim. A cycle tire is thin at the bead where a car tire is thick in comparison. This difference would cause trouble with a cycle tube. The car tire would hang over the rim bead and possibly cut the tube.

Anyway, just "thinking out loud" and "studying" my own words of "mounting a car tire on a cycle rim".

I just got a new "Bike Works" magazine and inside there is a cycle with a double thin white wall stripe and a square shoulder tread area. The article said it was a "Coker" tire. Anyone driven one of these? How is the tread life?

Again, Thanks for the info.

Larry
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your Harley has spoked wheels, you might investigate lacing up a Harley hub to an automobile spoked rim. (Yes, spoked rims for cars are still available). Someone like Buchanan's could probably help you out.

One downside: you could then run a car tyre, but it would need to run a tube because of the spokes. You might also run into clearance problems between the tyre and the swingarm.

The "Coker" tyre is probably a reproduction of the old Harley sidecar tyre. It has a flat profile - but is very, very skinny compared to any modern car tyre. It also is incredibly hard rubber (i.e. not much traction available).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: