An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CH vs LL front end

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Atkins

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: CH vs LL front end Reply with quote

I have a K1200GT w/Hannigan LT, not a "HP" rig, but plenty fun and plenty fast enough for me. The problem is that the steering sucks, even with the steeright that Hannigan installed.

What are the advantages of center hub over leading link ??

Jim, in Newark DE
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center hub segregates the steering from the suspension which takes stresses away from the steering head, it allows easy caster changes if setup for it and allows a wide tire to run sufficient caster with less camber change when turning if designed for that. It is a also super rigid assembly.
Jim, I thought that rig was for your wife. Did you steal it from her already? Is she still smiling ? LOL
Claude

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ralph

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day & Dark Big Grin
docmike

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they said,

There's considerably less steering effort with the CHS over the LL. Some of it may be mechanical advantage, I lost some steering lock in the conversion. (Hopefully a few changes sometime in the future will get some of it back.)

CHS allows you to use plain old car wheels, or not so plain, your choice and wallet.

CHS only needs one shock.

I'm not using a steering damper with the CHS, is was definitely required with the LL (your results may vary)

CHS looks really cool

Mike
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
legalr

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CH vs LL front end Reply with quote

Jim Atkins wrote:
I have a K1200GT w/Hannigan LT, not a "HP" rig, but plenty fun and plenty fast enough for me. The problem is that the steering sucks, even with the steeright that Hannigan installed.

What are the advantages of center hub over leading link ??

Jim, in Newark DE

Hi Jim,
I've been there and done that. I have a very well made EZS LLF rig and was able to replace the LLF with center hub steering (CHS) made by Bill Ballou and Bill McSheehy. The difference in steering/handling was unbelievable. Like being in another world! Based upon my experience, there is no comparison between LLF and CHS for ease of steering and perfect handling--CHS wins hands down. One advantage I now have is that my CHS has adjustable trail so that I can try different trail settings by simply loosening and re-tightening four bolts until I have the perfect trail setting for my style of riding. I could not do that with my LLF. I don't even need to jack up the front wheel on the bike to make the trail adjustment. Until you have actually driven a CHS and compare it to an LLF, you won't believe how much better the CHS is. I'm a true believer now! Do yourself a favor and go for the CHS.

Larry Miller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jim Atkins

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Yeah, Claude, it's her's, hee, hee, hee Reply with quote

The steering requires so much effort (unless you are going straight ! !) that she doesn't drive it, hasn't said anything about it and actually enjoys being the passenger, especially in the comfort the chair provides !! and now that I've put in an intercom so we don't have to yell it's even better.

Sorry I havn't gotten back to you about the CJ wheel, I've been looking for the timkin bearing size so that you could tell me if it matches up with what CJ has to offer of if it's a simply swapof bearings.

I'm thinking that CH is the eventual way to go and I guess I can justify the cost by the tuition saving of my daughter not going to Notre Dame !!

I'm really disappointed in how much effort that steering requires and hate to even consider what it would be like without the steerrite conversion- if I did get the conversion that I paid for.... how do I check that out??

Jim
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you really need to shut up about the superiority of the CHS to LL front ends.. I'm getting envious, and it's now too late for me to 're-project' the rig, since i'm now house-poor for the next 25 years to life! Big Grin

Seriously, if (and thats a big 'if') i ever do another rig, it'll be CHS. CHS would have been nice for this one, but it likely would have been more of a hassle than it was worth considering the piecemeal (ie non-integrated) fabrication of my setup. It needed to be done from the start with CHS, rather than during/after the fact of the 3 year project.
Tourdog 7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Although I am new at sc my K1200LT with the KLT sc plus the "SteerLite" bracket is 1 or 2 fingers regardless of speed. 4 mph or 74 it is a delightful light steer. It goes where ever you point it regardless of speed. You should see a definite increase forward position of your front wheel visually. My K12LT has nearly 2" of wheelbase increase as a result........... cleaning the faring aft of the front fender used to be tight for your hand, now it has plenty of room........... ie that wheel is that much forward of where it was as a 2 wheeler. You should see something similar I would think if yours is the Telelever front end. Original "trail" about 4", now is about 2". It is quick! And, it is a total delight!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT sc
K1100LT w/ ecc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: