An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing a Favor for a Friend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dar

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Doing a Favor for a Friend Reply with quote

So, there I was, sitting quietly at home last week, when I received this email
Quote:
Hi Dave,
I may need a little favor from you if possible. I'm buying a weight box for my tractor from a guy that is about 10 miles from you. He can drop it of at your place and I could make arrangements to get it later. Please give me a call when you have a chance.
Thanks,
Bill (Ballou)

Well, Bill's a nice guy, and I guess I must be too, since Bill knows me (that's another story from Maggie Valley a couple of years back -ask Ralph about it), so, what the hey, of course I'd be happy to do him a favor.

So I give him a call, tell him I'd be happy to hold this piece of machinery for him to come and pick up.
"Well, I'm awfully busy this month. real busy at work, gotta go to a birthday party up in northern Maine next week, gotta do this, gotta do that... and then next month I'm pretty busy too... Well maybe I can have somebody's son stop and pick it up sometime next month, he's going to a wedding in Ithaca (NY) and it shouldn't be too far out of his way to stop by and get it."

"OK," I say, "have the guy you bought it from drop it off at my place and I'll hold on to it til you figure out the rest of the details."

Next day, the guy drops off a wooden crate about a yard square, 2 feet high, 150 lbs. I stand there looking at it... now what? My garage is packed full of my own stuff, a disassembled bike in the middle of the floor that I'm waiting to get a wheel back from the shop for so I can at least move it out of the middle of the floor, etc, etc. Well Bill's box is gonna have to sit outside on the lawn somewhere. And the lawn is ready for it's first mowing of the season this weekend.

Idea Idea Question Question Measure the opening in the top of my sidecar - Hey this crate will fit in the sidecar Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation all I have to do is take off the windshield and remove the seat so it can sit flat on the floor and here it is:

Another phonecall to Bill, "Hey, you gonna be home Sunday afternoon?"
"Um... yeah...why?"
"Cause I've got your box loaded in my sidecar and figured I could deliver it to you myself."
"You're crazy. You don't have to do that. I can come and get it."
"Well, you're not the first one to tell me I'm crazy, except Ralph is a little more polite, he says 'something not quite right with you' . Anyway, it's an excuse to go for a ride."

So, Sunday morning, hop on the rig and take off across Vermont and New Hampshire then down into eastern Massachusetts and to Bill's house.

Still waiting for spring to start up in the mountains, but it was a beautiful day for a ride.

Made it to Bills house, and discovered that he had called in reinforcements to help unload the crate.

And Margie served me lunch, too. Thanks Margie!

And then I had a nice ride back home. A beautiful spring day!

Postscript

Tuesday I stopped in the bike shop to ask about that wheel and the rest of the pieces that they have been "working on" for at least a month. One of the salesmen tells me that he saw the strangest thing Sunday. Some guy riding a Suzuki with a silver sidecar that looks a lot like mine with a big wooden crate sitting in the sidecar.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
Ralph

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I have said before Big Grin
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Rising to the challenge :o) Reply with quote

Rising to the challenge indeed Big Grin

Well Done Dar .. and a nice little story with pictures too Wink

Typiical old style sidecar guy stuff .. define the objective and then sort it Razz

Stay Safe Buddy Wink Trev The Polar Bear in Spain
David

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Dave !! Big Grin
zentime

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't thank you enough for that my friend! Big Grin Big Grin
David forgot to mention it was 180 miles each way. Exclamation And all that for a sandwich. Laughing Laughing

will August ever come............
Blast54

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story with the pics!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: