An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tubing, for sidecar nose "nerf bar" - specs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Tubing, for sidecar nose "nerf bar" - specs? Reply with quote

Kinda hoping someone has done something similar - I'm looking at putting together what i'd term a nose "nerf bar", basically a non-weight bearing, non-push intended, 1.5" diameter front bar, to give me an excellent mount location for a set of lights, out of harms way of road debris/rocks. I've lost the running light location i had on the old sidecar step, and it was a lousy location for one anyway.

As the weight of my rig is rapidly approaching Sherman Tank tonnage, I don't want to overbuild yet again, when less overall weight will do. I'm contemplating 1.5" diameter, because of overall scale and rigidity, with .095 (3/32") wall thickness. This small nerf bar would be 4-point mounted through the front floor of the body, to an aluminium backing plate on the inside. I figure i'll need 70" total of this pipe, in 4 bends .. appx 7 lbs total, without lights.

Comments, suggestions if any please, am I over/under building or need to build differently?
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll work but will be overbuilt if it is just to carry lights. You could go to a smaller diameter or a much thinner wall tubing and stil be good.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
IanJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else you could try, which would be much lighter, would be to fab sheetmetal mounts which just bolt into the nose of the sidecar. I don't know which sidecar you have, but that might be a workable solution, and would be a lot lighter than any kind of nerf bar arrangement.
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
You could also go with aluminum tubing. Check with Dillsburg Aeroplane works online. 6061 Aluminum and 1028 DOM Tubing are about the same price in many sizes. A simple lightweight pinchblock around the tube and back to a small bolt on plate at the body would take any unwanted vibrations out of it.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: