An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARMEC - centerhub?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimKillmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: ARMEC - centerhub? Reply with quote

There was some discussion at Maggie Valley on just what kind of steering my ARMEC Tremola II rig was using. Most thought that it was not true centerhub steering. But it was hard to see anything because of the air scoop for the brakes which covered the apparatus.

Well, today, while do some other maintenance, I took off the air scoop to have a look-see. Turns out that it and the top/forward part of the front fender are molded as one piece. It looks like center hub steering to me.

Here are some pics:

You've all probably seen ARMEC's description here:
http://www.armec.com/best.html
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-- WOW--What a Ride!
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TimKillmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only differences I see is that on some of the other steering assemblies, the steering brackets turn the wheel from the side, whereas the ARMEC unit steers from above. I wonder if the side-steering units use less effort, oris it a wash?

Also, the ARMEC unit utilizes the shock behind the forks where the other units use the one on the side.

Those are the only two differences that I can see.

Tim
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-- WOW--What a Ride!

Last edited by TimKillmeyer on Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
docmike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes a little more sense now.
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if it should be called "The ARMEC center hub steering". It is different. It appears to be true center hub steering from the ARMEC diagram (i.e. no steering axis (kingpin) inclination is utilized to negate scrub radius). It does not segregate the steering totally from the suspension though..right?

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: