An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HPS Suspension Swaybar (Anti-swaybar)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: HPS Suspension Swaybar (Anti-swaybar) Reply with quote

So, I got my rig handling pretty good and then it slowly started getting worse. The end of the season had come upon us and I had been expecting the sway bar as the culprit. This winter I took the whole thing apart and found that the sway bar bushings had dried out and were binding the sway bar. The bushings were too tight, I belt sanded the back of the bushings so they wouldn’t pinch the bar as tight. I had more pull to the left, so I decrease the toe in. The front spoiler on the sidecar dragged the ground a little so I raised the front of the sidecar too. Now I am waiting for spring to basically start over fine tuning the suspension.

What other things have people been doing to their rigs in the off season, assuming you have an off season? New England Shuffle (not for Ralph)

To be continued….
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you suing for swaybar bushings? How many are using urethane, rubber, brass, etc? I am using brass bushings right now but am considering changing to something else. What are you all's thoughts on bearing types ?
Oh as far as the statement:
"I had more pull to the left, so I decrease the toe in. "
Sounds like a topic for a new thread to me ... hold tight..LOL.hope we get some more participation Smile

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Claude,
I am using urethane bushings for the piviots and rod ends for the links.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first swaybar I did used pillow block bearings...it was pretty bulky to say the least but they were on hand.
The present rig has brass bushings. This may all get changed later on this year to a more 'free' system.
Claude
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
docmike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Peformance Suspension urethane bushings and rod ends, same as Bill, the Anti Zen Smile

Not too much off season projects on the HPS this year, too much other stuff going on. I have a Penske shock on order for the rear of the bike and plan to hard wire the intercom in so there's no longer any cables danglingbetween the bike and sidecar, and hopefully will send the old seat off and have it redone.
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a Penske shock on order for the rear of the bike

Hey Mike,
What model shock did you order? Any special valving or spring rates?
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projects?..wow.
1)Finish (or at least get it road worthy) the K Bike project before Maggie Valley Razz
2)Mount the Motorvation to the (oldstyle)Yamaha Venture (won't have the venture until March)
3)Redo the Motorvation body to a flip up design.
4)I have two sidecars to build from scratch.(frames and mounts only)
5)One Friendship I to modify and mount to an Older Goldwing
6) Go fishing
7) Get ready for the RON-DEE-VOO

After number one is basically under control I might skip to number six.
Claude Wink
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first rendition of a swaybar setup uses pillow block bearing units, which i hope will work satisfactorily - but i will need to be very mindful of the road surface/potholes, as the setup is less than ideal due to ground clearance (yes, i could have tunnelled into the sidecar frame/body to preserve ground clearance, but thats a boatload of work more than i was prepared to take on).

Projects.. hmm, where to start, where to finish? Question

1. Swaybar - done

2. Reworked and modified sidecar seperate braking system - done

3. highway boards - nearly done (does this totally disqualify me from a MPS/HPS classification, automatically? lol)

4. Auxilliary gas tank setup - raw materials/components bought, fabrication started, awaiting design inspiration/perspiration before i complete.

5. Leading link front end - most raw materials/components bought, require front wheel delivery to start fabrication. currently designing and drawing up components to be machined in next couple weeks.

6. 'Deck' the span between the sidecar frame and the motorcycle subframe with an aluminum floor, asthetic modification - pending

7. Get ahold of CBR-XX rear brake assembly and adapt spare swingarm for it - (pending - Thanks Bill M., like i need another project, Laughing )
docmike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey Mike,
What model shock did you order? Any special valving or spring rates?

I'm getting the model 8981, sort of their basic shock, remote reservoir adjustable rebound and dampening, nothing special on the valving.

The old shock was the original BMW with a differnet spring that came with the EML, I had no idea what the spring rate was, and had never had it off the lightest preload setting.

I sent the old shock to Penske they measured the shock (they had never built a shock for a K11RS and didn't have the specs) and measured the spring rate. The old shock was 490 lb rate, the new will drop down to 450. If I don't like the rate they will change springs, no charge, unless I damage it.
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: