An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Bike Tire Recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sidecar Girl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Rear Bike Tire Recommendation Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a better tire than a "Yokohama S. Drive High Performance Tire - 195/55R15 85V" for the rear of my 2010 Kawasaki Concours with a Hannigan High Performance sidecar? Getting ready to replace my current tire after only 13,000...thanks for the help. Question
zentime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bike Tire Recommendation Reply with quote

Sidecar Girl wrote:
Can anyone recommend a better tire than a "Yokohama S. Drive High Performance Tire - 195/55R15 85V" for the rear of my 2010 Kawasaki Concours with a Hannigan High Performance sidecar? Getting ready to replace my current tire after only 13,000...thanks for the help. Question

Like always, no simple answer. I went to the Tirerack support pages for this information.

the full version here

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

this is the tread wear and traction sections

Treadwear Grades
UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.
The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

Traction Grades
UTQG Traction Grades are based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across the specified test surfaces. The UTQG traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance.
The Traction Grade is determined by installing properly inflated test tires on the instrumented axle of a "skid trailer." The skid trailer is pulled behind a truck at a constant 40 mph over wet asphalt and wet concrete test surfaces. Its brakes are momentarily locked and the axle sensors measure the tire's coefficient of friction (braking g forces) as it slides. Since this test evaluates a sliding tire at a constant 40 mph, it places more emphasis on the tire's tread compound and less emphasis on its tread design.
In 1997, the UTQG Traction Grades were revised to provide a new category of AA for the highest performing tires in addition to the earlier A, B and C grades. Previously the A grade had been the highest available and was awarded to tires that offered wet coefficients of traction above 0.47 g on asphalt and 0.35 g on concrete. Today the grades and their traction coefficients are as follows:

I guess it boils down to a trade off between tire wear and traction.

According to the tire rack website, these are the numbers for the S-Drive UTQG: 300 AA A

Tire rack has a bunch of choices for the 195/55 R15 with different tire wear and traction ratings.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=&width=195/&ratio=55&diameter=15&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

So a tire with a UTOG rating of 600 will last longer than one with a 300 rating but will likely have less grip. Hard to say without trying a particular tire what that means in the real world.
I've only used the S-Drives for awhile now so don't have a comparison.
Hope that helps.
Bill

will August ever come............
Ralph

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like always, no simple answer.

he he he well imagine that. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sidecar Girl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Bill for your explanation of tire ratings!

I had no idea such ratings existed and didn't think to research it. I figured I'd receive feedback from other sidecar enthusiasts, but that didn't work out too well until your reply. Naturally I read the full blown version from your link... very educational.

It gives me confidence to know that we're running the same tire so I ordered it again, my 3rd one. Thanks also for directing me to the Tire Tech site where I could have saved $4 over Amazon.

I enjoy the performance of my previous S. Drives, especially when riding in the rain but wish they performed better in cold climates since there's isn't enough room for snow chains unless the fender is removed...

Thanks for making an amazing rig, Bill. I think of you every time I ride. BTW, are you still making rotors? I'd like to purchase one soon.

Last tire change was in 20 degree weather in Wyoming. This time it will be in a hurricane since I depart for my trip Tuesday.

Thanks again for your reply. It's great to hear from you and Ralph. Ride safe everyone!
Patti
. Big Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: