An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Day .. Bad Day .. Oh Bollocks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Good Day .. Bad Day .. Oh Bollocks! Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I had a Good Day Very Happy / Bad Day Crying or Very sad on Friday .. and it has been suggested that some of you sidecar freaky peeps might be interested in the story Confused

All done in my normal daft English tone .. so please feel free to 'make the apropriate grunts, groans and other noises' as you go Cool

First .. My apologies to all the girls for the lorry driver type bad language .. I'm mad and being of limited mental stability .. swearing is the best way for me to express my feelings sometimes. We never did big words at my school ;o(

After all these years (Over 5 now) looking after my beautiful special HP sidecar rig like she was a new born puppy .. the Spanish Dancer got damaged today! I was out on my first check-out wrm up ride for almost a year .. and 'doing really well' Surprised) .. it was a nice dry, sunny, no wind and just about perfect or a litle 100 miles potter ;o)

Part One of the ride was to deliver a 45 foot length of heavy trucking chain (1/4" thick links) to the Artist's Forge just over the mountain in Xavia. I've had the chain here in Denia since our arrival from the UK in 2005 .. but never put it to any use. No point dragging it over to Mallorca .. we are moving to live there next month .. so I found it a good home on this side of the water. The Artist makes some really spectacular metal sculptures, all beautifuly hand crafted from steel .. metal that is sometimes over 2" think .. twisted and turned into quite fantastic works of art .. and worth thousands .. commissioned and sold all over Europe! I was sure he could make something interesting using the chain links .. and he was indeed well pleased to have it .. job done Surprised)

I left The Forge in Xavia and headed north inland on the (almost) straight road up towards the town of Gata De Gorges (The Valley of The Cats in my Best Brummy accent Surprised). Cruising along easy at around 50 mph .. no traffic .. feeling good .. gradually getting back into being out on the outfit Surprised) Before long I have an Audi car coming up fast behind me .. he pulls out to overtake (Spanish drivers don't like being second in any line of more than one car Surprised) As he pulls alongside me I see the phone camera flash .. he wants a picture of the rig .. lots of people want a picture of the rig .. even the highway police .. I don't normally charge them Surprised) but this plonker is driving at 65 mph or more at the same time. As he takes a second shot and loses control of the car .. zig zagging about .. hitting his brakes instead of accelorating .. crossing into my lane .. he hits the sidecar mudguard with his back wheel and forces me to run off the road. The impact noise was horrific!

You could probably hear me yelling from your house .. more bad language I'm afraid .. sorry. Fortunately .. by the grace of my god Neptune .. I went off-roading into flat gravel and there where no walls, lamp posts, parked vehicles, trees, people or anything else, for me to hit. I kept control .. pulling back onto the tarmac .. trying to get his number as I did so .. 01 ..09.. 8 .. W**. For sure he knew what he'd done and he took off like a greyhound out of the starting box. I instinctively took off after him .. as you do ;o). Honking the horn and waving my funny Port Side arm. He was one of those 'Hit and Run' plonkers .. driving like a madman .. eventually we both joined a short queue of cars at the next junction island .. but he would not stop and turned off right .. waving his bloody fancy phone at me .. I rode straight on..

Of course .. I had by then already decided to let him go .. I'm not quite so daft these days Surprised) I could have passed him ... the Dancer can fly ;o) and if he had pulled over I'd have hit him with one of my crutches (I'm still on them) and then asked the questions .. or maybe I'd have hit him with both crutches, scrubbed the questions and got myself done for GBH (greavus bodily harm) Surprised(

I stopped in Gata, got off and had a look .. amazingly (I was expecting to find much worse) it was 'cosmetic only' damage to the posh paintwork on the sidecar mudguard. His tyre marks and scratches have spoiled my outfit .. but as my better half Rainbow Annie said .. it could have so easily been far, far worse. I'm really am still alive (again) I just felt myself.

I guess much of the black tyre damage will T-Cut and Polish out .. the deep scratches might need some paint. I'm Ok now I've cooled down .. but not really a Happy Bunny!

I include a photo .. damage really is worse in real life than it looks here .. but of course to me any damage to my baby is sad Surprised( I could stamp my foot .. if I didn't have this bad leg.

Stay Safe People (put your fancy camera in the boot andlook where you are going Surprised)

Trev (The Polar Bear in Spain)

The photo shows the paintwork damage .. The Spanish Dancer's sidecar is on the left (wrong) side .. UK Registation specification ;o)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ralph

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad That kind of crap is why a lot of us here carry guns.
Glad you were ok.
Best Wishes Smile
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There Ralph ... hows the car wash job going ? I'll bet your hands are like a babies bum Big Grin

Yes .. a gun might have been very handy at the time .. I do know a bit about guns .. fifteen years Royal Navy Special Services Combat Diver, etc. Twisted Evil

The old (well out of date) Lanchester Amphibius Sub Machine Gun was still our main tool back in the 50s 60s and early 70s .. but a nice little Magnum was a good back-up .. you could throw it at them .. if you hit a patch of Red Mist Evil or Very Mad

Onwards and Upwars Men ... Stay Safe Y'all

Trev The Polar Bear in Spain
Ralph

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile well said Smile
docmike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been much worse, I guess cell phone idiot drivers are everywhere.
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes .. I guess I was quite lucky on the day.

What makes me 'boil over with anger' even more is the fact that .. although I am now officialy about 75% deaf I also have a cell phone Confused

I would not hear it if it ever did 'ring' or anyone talking to me on it .. other than Rainbow Annie and her ultra posh Oxford English accent of course Very Happy She is so posh .. she takes her wet suit off to have a piddle!

Anyway .. to give you a good idea of my phone activity and the running costs .. text's only .. my last quarter year bill was 38 UK Pence Shocked Call that 63 Cents in your USD funny money. I sent the bill back! Crying or Very sad

I can also remember when the whole world ran perfectly well on a gadget called a Biro Pen Cool Why does EVERYONE have to LIVE on their mobile these days?

Safe as Always Guys Wink Trev.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: