An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Progress report

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cudgel



Joined: 12 May 2009
Posts: 44
Location: Arcadia, Fl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Progress report Reply with quote

My real reason for posting is to see if anyone is awake and still interested in sidecars. Not much action around here so I'm just gonna talk a little about the only sidecar I've driven. Mine.
Since introducing myself in 2009 while building my rig I've learned a lot about this thing and have watched others here show their stuff. A real collection of cool rigs and a nice bunch of people.
After the first month or so of fiddling with handling on my Blackbird powered machine I haven't touched the chassis settings and have logged maybe 15,000 miles without a problem. Replaced the back tire early this year. The other two will probably go at least another year. My driving is almost all local. The longest trips I need to take are only about 180 miles. It spins the rear tire pretty easily and although fun, is expensive.
The aluminum bodywork has evolved to the point where I only have a small area between rider and handlebars to finish.
When I was new here I talked about tire pressure and was told my ideas of proper pressure were too high for a sidecar but I insisted my reasons were valid. Over time I have come around to your way of thinking and have been running 22-24lbs with no trouble and have developed a taste for crow. Thank you very much.
This rig handles better than I expected and is easy to drift any time you want. It goes straighter the faster you go and is very comfortable at 100mph although I don't do that often. It would be fun to have a huge airport runway to see what top speed is but no access around here. It's geared for 150 but not worth it to find out.
My rig rides very stiff as it was designed for sharp handling but is not bad with a passenger. I have had thoughts of building something with softer springs and about half the horsepower for back road/dirt road Sunday driving and sight seeing but probably won't unless I sell this one.
I might put up some current pictures if I can learn how to do it.
Thanks for listening. Now tell us about yours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
docmike



Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 630
Location: Eastern NC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much new to report here.

About the only new thing is I installed a USB port in the trunk so I can charge my cell phone. I did that thinking I would be leaving yesterday to go to Atlanta for a class, which got canceled thanks to the government shut down.

Did have a brief moment of excitement this morning. Got a little way down the road (about a block for you city folk) went to slow down for the railroad tracks and had no front brakes. Turns out in all my "adjusting" over the weekend the throttle housing was hitting the front brake handle about the time it started making pressure, so went home, got out the allen wrench adjusted and headed back to work.

Mike
_________________
Mike Currin
93 BMW K1100RS / EML Speed 2000
89 Honda GB 500 (6,700 miles, all original except tires)
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
A JOURNEYMAN



Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 24
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Bill B on the phone yesterday and he made a statement that I found to be true, " these sidecars are a tinkerers dream". We change and modify constantly, well I do anyway, can't leave it alone!
Just turned 50000 last week on my current rig, November is 7 years for this rig. I love to ride it and would be happy to have more time available to ride. Next week planning to ride to Lafayette ,LA for a rally. This is only my 2nd long ride of the year, unfortunately.
Ride safe----ATGATT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cudgel



Joined: 12 May 2009
Posts: 44
Location: Arcadia, Fl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Always nice to hear others racking up the miles and I'll bet doing a lot of smiling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zentime



Joined: 22 Jan 2005
Posts: 823
Location: Massachusetts USA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Progress report Reply with quote

cudgel wrote:
My real reason for posting is to see if anyone is awake and still interested in sidecars.

45+ years of interest here with no letup in sight Laughing

Quote:
I've learned a lot about this thing and have watched others here show their stuff. A real collection of cool rigs and a nice bunch of people.

Include yourself on all counts! Smile

Quote:
When I was new here I talked about tire pressure and was told my ideas of proper pressure were too high for a sidecar but I insisted my reasons were valid. Over time I have come around to your way of thinking and have been running 22-24lbs with no trouble and have developed a taste for crow. Thank you very much.

Laughing some times we just have to figure out things for ourselves. After all, isn't independent thinking what brought us all here Question

Quote:
This rig handles better than I expected and is easy to drift any time you want. It goes straighter the faster you go and is very comfortable at 100mph although I don't do that often. It would be fun to have a huge airport runway to see what top speed is but no access around here. It's geared for 150 but not worth it to find out.

It is amazing how well these things feel at speed but I always think about how much better these HP rigs feel to me in normal everyday riding as opposed to some of the early conventional sidecars I had.
Quote:

I might put up some current pictures if I can learn how to do it.

You just need to upload the pictures somewhere like Dropbox, Google or Flickr. Once you do that you can past a link in your post here, highlight it and click on the Img button when you're writing a post here and it will show up in your finished post.

It's great to see your post and stimulating some conversation. Forums only work if people contribute. It can't just be the same few people all the time. After awhile it feels like your talking to yourself. So lets go lurkers, speak up! Laughing
It's been a crazy busy year for me. Between work, home projects and some riding. My wife and I managed a trip up to Roger and Brenda's http://www.theyellowsidecarbnb.com/bed-breakfast/ Just an awesome time. While we were there, we also made a trip over to Newfoundland. Been working on setting up my garage a little better for my projects so I don't have to run back and forth to work all the time. I picked up a used Bridgeport and lathe that I'm in the process of hooking up. This winter is looking to be very busy. We're going to be putting together a ZX14 and a C14 for friends. So all in all a lot going on here. Got to go rake some leaves now. Sad
A JOURNEYMAN wrote:
I spoke to Bill B on the phone yesterday and he made a statement that I found to be true, " these sidecars are a tinkerers dream". We change and modify constantly, well I do anyway, can't leave it alone!
Just turned 50000 last week on my current rig, November is 7 years for this rig. I love to ride it and would be happy to have more time available to ride. Next week planning to ride to Lafayette ,LA for a rally. This is only my 2nd long ride of the year, unfortunately.
Ride safe----ATGATT

Good talking with you the other day Dennis. Great to see you're still tinkering and riding! Big Grin

docmike wrote:
Not much new to report here.

About the only new thing is I installed a USB port in the trunk so I can charge my cell phone. I did that thinking I would be leaving yesterday to go to Atlanta for a class, which got canceled thanks to the government shut down.

Did have a brief moment of excitement this morning. Got a little way down the road (about a block for you city folk) went to slow down for the railroad tracks and had no front brakes. Turns out in all my "adjusting" over the weekend the throttle housing was hitting the front brake handle about the time it started making pressure, so went home, got out the allen wrench adjusted and headed back to work.

Mike

city folk eh! Laughing

Quote:
Turns out in all my "adjusting" over the weekend the throttle housing was hitting the front brake handle

rookie Laughing
_________________
CBR1100XX/EZS
1973 MotoGuzzi V7sport

will August ever come............
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
David



Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 104
Location: Chelsea Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To cudgel--Dang! Been waiting for pictures for years.

To Mike--Good to see you are back riding!

To Dennis--Oh man! You guys in the south with nice weather!

To Bill & Bill -The minds that never stop!!

By the way, Ralph & Jay, still waiting for pictures of the build of the C14.

Since I sold the rig, it's amazing how much work I am getting done around the house. Not going to last much longer though. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JayBoy



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 234
Location: Lexington, KY

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!

Dave, the GX-C14 Racer project is not finished but is roadworthy. Custom frame by Ralph, sidecar suspension by Bill McSheehey, and a Penske racing shock. Waiting for interior, paint, and lights. Work and Bird Sesaon delayed progress for the last few months. Sad it's been a while since posting a picture, we'll see if this works.


[img]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jhall/media/3552b1df8ed5570fe18a1f977b52b883.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2[/img]

[img][/img]

Ps what,s your next project?
_________________
Corret me if I'm wrong, everyone else does!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JayBoy



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 234
Location: Lexington, KY

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]
_________________
Corret me if I'm wrong, everyone else does!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
David



Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 104
Location: Chelsea Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Really looks good! Always liked that body style.

Good to see youre keeping Ralphie busy! Smile

If you are looking for any custom lighting, try Custom Dynamics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group