An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground Clearance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Ground Clearance Reply with quote

Wondering how much ground clearance everyone is running. Do you feel 4" is too low?

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 4 inches is too low, as long as you don't hit anything. Big Grin

The spoiler is the lowest part on my sidecar, about 5 inches. Ran over a tire and had to do some major repairs to it. Crying or Very sad

But everything is good now. Smile
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Suspension travel Reply with quote

How much suspension travel do you have? Four inches of clearance would be a very bad idea if you have five inches of travel....
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
>>Four inches of clearance would be a very bad idea if you have five inches of travel....<<

Obviously Big Grin

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
zentime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Clearance Reply with quote

swaybar2002 wrote:
Wondering how much ground clearance everyone is running. Do you feel 4" is too low?

I have 4" of ground clearance now. In my case it's the minimum I'd want to have. When I first mounted the swaybar I had a little less than 3" and the swaybar bushing mount would hit on larger bumps etc.

will August ever come............
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point of time, without having the front end together to measure the final, unweighted ground clearance, I'm anticipating having 4" from the lowest hangy-bit point. More i think would be ideal, but with whats being worked with, 4" is the best i can hope for .. there won't be any ISOK field events or ill maintained roads travelled at any rate.
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should mount titanium plates on the lowest part of the rig.

Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swaybar2002 wrote:

I vote for steel, with magnesium runners.. if were gonna ground, might as well give others a spark-show Smile
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnesium would spark good too but it can burn..LOL
I 'll follow with an extinguisher...or at least a camera Laughing

zentime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swaybar2002 wrote:

That remind me of a time.... that would be a bad idea...............ti scraping on the ground would cause sparks that burn. When we machine the stuff, we have to watch for fires

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Spark show Reply with quote

I had a discussion about this with a dealer friend once - he was going to make peg feelers for sport bikes that would spark, and did some research into the best material to make the biggest, most spectacular sparks. His answer? Depleted uranium. Needless to say, he went with a less impressive material.....
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone remembers 'The Little Red Wagon' wheel stander exhibition machine I think he had magnesium strips on his tailgate to make all those sparks. If you ever saw him do a run at night it was pretty spectacular.
Some of the Formual I cars had used titanium so they could see when the car bottomed out in the daylight.
Some old guys used to put taps (anyone remember taps?) on the heel of their boots so they could drag then at night and make sparks.
Have seen titanium edges on Harley floor boards to make a show too.

Kinda neat I GUESS.
Claude
zentime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swaybar2002 wrote:
If anyone remembers 'The Little Red Wagon' wheel stander exhibition machine I think he had magnesium strips on his tailgate to make all those sparks. If you ever saw him do a run at night it was pretty spectacular.
Some of the Formual I cars had used titanium so they could see when the car bottomed out in the daylight.
Some old guys used to put taps (anyone remember taps?) on the heel of their boots so they could drag then at night and make sparks.
Have seen titanium edges on Harley floor boards to make a show too.

Kinda neat I GUESS.
Claude

yah, but how's your project coming along Razz

swaybar2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
>>yah, but how's your project coming along <<

Yesterday I mocked the front swingarm into place with the bushing fitted etc. (ended up using bronze bushings with a 1 1/4" shaft..old school but I guess thats the way I am) Can switch to roller earing later if desired. Backed away fromm th eurethane due to an old school mental block.
The lower subframe member is tacked into place on the sidecar frame and bent to go back to the center stand mount on the left side. Old right side subframe has been cut off in the front to be attached to new subframe. Ball joints(tie rod ends , ES150R) should be here in a couple of days. Have tubing ready for them all tapped out etc..Rear wheel adaptor is half made(it is a two part unit) and I picked up the 6" dia aluminum to make the outer half today. (This is not a big priority as I HAVE A 7 " CENTERLINE WHEEL THAT hARRY BUILT ON THE REAR NOW WITH A TIRE MOUNTED)
New 'fork tubes' are being turned down to fit the BMW trees at the machine shop from raw stock to fabricate the steering linkage mount to. Spud to go inside of front swingarm as a locater for the caster adjustment plates should be done tomorrow. Plates are done. there will also be a half inch center bolt in thsi assembly going from the end of the swingarm into the tapped and threaded locator/pivot spud welded in the other half of the swingarm.
Found out that two of the three used wheels I had purchased off of ebay were bent Mad so am on the lookout for one wheel now. (6 1/2"WIDE 4x100mm (4") bolt circle with, I think 5 7/8, backspace needed) Off of a Mazda Protege but others will fit.
Going to take dodge spindle off of sidecar to get ball joint location and all that assembly mocked up(true center hub)...Can't get the ones off the other dodge right now due to snow. BMW Fuel tank is being enlarged ..no big deal if this isn't done.
Suspension parts are ready to go on. Decided to try a torsion bar on the fronT too....LOL. Master cylinders wil be mounted as soon as the upper strut for the sidecar is in place. Note this subframe and sidecar are all one piece.
Feels good to finally have most of the parts in one place and see some progress.
Stil have not decided to do the steering with the long vertical link or the push and pull type. I have three tie rod ends on hand for the long link type..or whatever it is called.
Need to get some pics maybe this sunday. Have to work tomorrow and saturday Crying or Very sad
Should be ready(even if not pretty) for maggie valley. Dunno if it will work but it's a start.
Piece a cake.. Laughing
Claude ... input welcome

Last edited by swaybar2002 on Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill,
Are your sure about the Titanium burning?
I can remember maching magnesium and it burning, I thought titanium did but wasn't sure.
I am seriously considering building some sort of anti scraper thing for the front right of sidecar. Don't want to keep replacing spoiler. Which one do you think is less combustible?
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: