An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheels question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until Paul mentioned it I never thought of a K bike as having a cush drive.
Anyhow I got to looking on the net and found this statement :
"".....the early Ks the engine output shaft was rivetted to a cush drive housing with 6 rivets (I'm told BMW later rectified this by
using a 12 rivet set up).<
So I guess it does have one of sorts. All I knew was that there were no rubber things in the wheel area like on a spoket driven machine.
Never met a man I couldn't learn from,
Claude
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Cushy BMWs Reply with quote

The one BMW K driveshaft I was shown wasn't a solid steel tube. Picture two tubes, one with a 30mm ID, and the other with a 20mm OD. Slide one inside the other. Now fill the gap with something like silicone seal - so it's a solid connection, but has some give to it. It's very compact, there's no assembly required, and since it's basically sealed from the elements it should last much longer than a typical cush drive.

From Claude's description they may have done this differently on a different generation of K bike. I guess there have been several generations of BMW K bike by now.... and since I've owned three so far they tend to blend together!
SatanicMechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Zen, it's neat to see how your gear has evolved. You machined all that stuff, didn't you? I still haven't totally decided what I want to do...If money were no object, I'd buy a year or two old IOM TT sidecar and make it street legal Wink Next down on the list money-wise would be Cheyenne's favorite, the blue 'busa with a RDS sidecar..., then the Bandit scenario we discussed, and then what I have with me continually bodging on it in an effort to approach the performance of a properly engineered setup.... Confused
I sent Doug Miller a note with a couple of sidecar racing videos (in repayment for the video of you guys) to see if Rhonda and I could weasel a ride in his rig since we live in fairly close proximity, but I haven't heard back from him yet. I figured if he gave us each a ride around the block, it might impress Rhonda, and hell, I just wanna ride... Razz
zentime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatanicMechanic wrote:
Thanks for the links Zen, it's neat to see how your gear has evolved. You machined all that stuff, didn't you? I still haven't totally decided what I want to do...If money were no object, I'd buy a year or two old IOM TT sidecar and make it street legal Wink Next down on the list money-wise would be Cheyenne's favorite, the blue 'busa with a RDS sidecar..., then the Bandit scenario we discussed, and then what I have with me continually bodging on it in an effort to approach the performance of a properly engineered setup.... Confused
I sent Doug Miller a note with a couple of sidecar racing videos (in repayment for the video of you guys) to see if Rhonda and I could weasel a ride in his rig since we live in fairly close proximity, but I haven't heard back from him yet. I figured if he gave us each a ride around the block, it might impress Rhonda, and hell, I just wanna ride... Razz

Very Happy No doubt in my mind Doug would be more than willing to give you guys a ride. Hang in there, he's a pretty busy guy. If you don't hear from him, let me know and we'll get on his case. He just got a T-Rex and is a bit distracted with that. Are you going to Daytona?
yes I did machine all that stuff.
zen

will August ever come............
SatanicMechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you going to Daytona?

Naw, too many unfinished projects here. We just got back from south Florida weekend before last, so it'll probably be a year or so before we go again. We last went in '00, and Rhonda got one of the Kerker silencers off of Nicky Hayden's RC51 after the race. Have you ever seen scorched carbon fiber?? Shocked That joker got hot.... Rhonda's a huge Nicky stalk..er, I mean fan Wink Do you guys follow MotoGP?
We last took Cheyenne to Daytona when she was about 3, she rode in Rhonda's brother's Corvette, and we rode the CB1000. I want to take her back in A sidecar (I'm not gonna say "the" sidecar in the hope that I'll get a new one!) since she's old enough to remember it now....
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatden rules....on almost and type of track paved or dirt. An amazing rider for sure.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
zentime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swaybar2002 wrote:
Hayden rules....on almost and type of track paved or dirt. An amazing rider for sure.

hell......he's from Kentucky, of course he fast!

Quote:
Rhonda got one of the Kerker silencers off of Nicky Hayden's RC51 after the race.

sounds like you've got competition. Laughing

Quote:
Do you guys follow MotoGP?

just what I pick up in Cycle World. I saw Hayden and Maladin dual it out 3 years ago at Dyatona. Crazy Then saw Hayden go at it in the short track. Very impresive. I don't have what it takes to ride a Motorcycle that fast. Snail

will August ever come............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: