An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Track Width

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swaybar2002

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Track Width Reply with quote

Certainly a wider track width (centerline of bike tire to centerline of sidecar tire) creates a more stable rig. What track widths are you running? And what wheelbase?
Is there maybe a rule of thumb ratio between track width and wheelbae here?
My presnt track width is 60" on a K100 (CAN'T REMEMBER THE WHEELBASE OF THE BIKE Embarassed )

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

I.S.O.K Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO III ..
First full weekend in August!! Thursday through Sunday!!
Weikert, Pa ..more details coming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

59" Wheel base, 48" track.
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
Sidecarmaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Track Width Reply with quote

In a story in a Dutch bikemagazine I found the following facts. I hope the conversion to inches and lb is done right.
1 inch = 25.4 mm
1 lb (UK) = 0.4536 kg. Can't find a "USA or Canada lb" (Btw is that called pound and is with or without a "s" if it is more then one?) Question

GTS1000-SideBike MegaComete:
track width: 1345 mm 529.5''
wheelbae: 1540 mm 606.3''
Caster frontwheel (trail) adjustable between 0-40 mm 0-1.575''
Caster sidecarwheel (trail) adjustable (sorry no numbers)
Lead sidecarwheel 445 mm 175.2''
Camber sidecar and front wheel adjustable
Toe-in sidecar wheel adjustable
left steering effect 5 degrees
right steering effect 10 degrees but the steering effect is adjustable
Compleet turn left: 9500 mm 3740''
Compleet turn right: 6400 mm 2520''
Weight ready to take off: 445 kg 981 lb
Max weight: 750 kg 1653 lb
wheels: 14 inch
No steering damper
Swaybar mounted between sidecar wheel and rear wheel swingarm
bruce_in_pa18015

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Track Width Reply with quote

sidecarmaniac,

Would the information you listed for your GTS1000-SideBike Mega Comete, also be the same for a 1993 GTS and a 1998 SideBike Mega Comete?

I noticed that in the picture looking down into the sidecar, you have seat belts. Were they a factory option, or did you install them yourself?

If they were a factory option, about how much in US dollers did the kit cost?

Did you have to modify the seat in any way for the belts?

Bruce
Sidecarmaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Track Width Reply with quote

bruce_in_pa18015 wrote:
sidecarmaniac,
Would the information you listed for your GTS1000-SideBike Mega Comete, also be the same for a 1993 GTS and a 1998 SideBike Mega Comete?
It's the info that was told in a test report in 1994. But one of the dealers uses still the same technical numbers today. When I've to replace something I alway's measures distances from the part to some fixed point. I also try to count the turns from or to a maximum adjustment point. Both, GTS and MegaComete are not produced anymore.
http://www.advangilsmotors.nl/b/index9.html (Dutch language, choose the SideBike button)
Quote:
I noticed that in the picture looking down into the sidecar, you have seat belts. Were they a factory option, or did you install them yourself?
If they were a factory option, about how much in US dollers did the kit cost? Did you have to modify the seat in any way for the belts?
Bruce
I've done it by myself. Bought universal sets from the carshop. Not automatic adjustable ones because the drum/spring units are to big. I did use metal plates behind the mountingpoints wide enough to prevent breaking out of the polyester in case of an emergency. Used also nuts that don't come off. There was no need to modify the seat. I placed the belts for my sons. For an average adult the position of these belts is to low now. But soon, because the boys keep growing, I've to move the upper mounting points a bit upwards.
By our law a helmet is needed for sidecar passengers, the belts are not needed. Imho for kids the belts are more important.
bruce_in_pa18015

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Thank you for posting the specifications on the GTS / Mega Comete and for the information on your seat belt installation.

Bruce

Bruce
docmike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the tape measure out last week end and measured the track on my rig. I measured from outside of tire to out side of tire, so subtract probaly 6 or 7 inches for tire width. Track is 61 inches, out side to out side (or 55 more or less centerline to centerline.)

Also measured the toe in, I'd never measured it before and ifgured if its working don't screw with it, anyhow toe in is 3 inches, guess that explains why sidecar tires wear so fast.
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 inches, Holly Swear
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
legalr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Track width Reply with quote

Using a Vermont tapemeasure in a snow covered cold barn I came up with 55" track width from centerline of rear motorcycle tire to centerline of sidecar tire. Now that could change if I measure under warmer circumstances. Question
BMW R1150R/EZS Summit
2004 BMW K1200GT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JayBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FJR/RDS Track width 60" OD (probably 51-52 inches center line) and Wheelbase 65.25 centerline.

That looks like 5 inches longer then the GTS.
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measured center to center treadline track, 54" dead on. Centerline wheelbase at this time, 56.5", projected centerline wheelbase once front end has been replaced, 60.5".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: