An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New HP sidecar concept model from Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: New HP sidecar concept model from Australia Reply with quote

An Australian sidecar enthusiast is working on a new HP sidecar design. He sent me these links to the solid models of it. Very impressive work. Worship Worship

He's having technical difficulty registering for the forum but should be here soon to explain it all. Big Grin

http://s346.photobucket.com/user/pdwalsh59/slideshow/

http://vid346.photobucket.com/albums/p417/pdwalsh59/framemovy2_zpsd3k36vlt.mp4

will August ever come............
pdwalsh59

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bill, It appears my MAC browser will not let me log on. I am on my son's windows PC at the moment. Will post some information shortly.

I am approaching my retirement and am looking for a project, but something different. I have always been fascinated by racing sidecars and the engineering that goes into them. I am looking for something for the street that has that "wow" factor - in saying that I don't think I see a full kneeler! Something that has a low but well supported seat for the rider. I am looking for something that can offer comfortable cruising for rider and passenger, but something that can be used as a Wedding photo prop, Groom/party arrival, maybe even tourist rides along our spectacular Seacliff Bridge - something that looks different. http://www.grandpacificdrive.com.au/

Cheers, for now!
pdwalsh59

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me state from the outset I have no experience with sidecars – motorbikes were my passion – and especially none with HP sidecars. I am fascinated by the engineering that goes into racing outfits and so thought this project would be an interesting challenge. Australia has very strict design rules for individually constructed vehicles, so, even at this early stage I have had comments that it will be difficult to get street registered, oh well, keep plugging away is my motto.

Note that the swing arms are placed across the frame, but, the arms are 700mm long - 6.5 degrees of arc results in almost 80mm of vertical displacement. This means that for that upwards deflection from equilibrium ride height the frame will move about 4.5mm sideways – little under 0.18”. The wheel base shown is 2m, 78 and 3/4 “. Length of wishbone lessens the tendency of the rear wheel and SC wheel to “trailer” steer because of that movement. In saying that though there seems to me no reason why forward facing arms could not be used instead of the, “across the frame” A-arms. It is just that A-arms can be smaller tubing and package very well.

Cheers Paul
pdwalsh59

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me state from the outset I have no experience with sidecars – motorbikes were my passion – and especially none with HP sidecars. I am fascinated by the engineering that goes into racing outfits and so thought this project would be an interesting challenge. Australia has very strict design rules for individually constructed vehicles, so, even at this early stage I have had comments that it will be difficult to get street registered, oh well, keep plugging away is my motto.

Note that the swing arms are placed across the frame, but, the arms are 700mm long - 6.5 degrees of arc results in almost 80mm of vertical displacement. This means that for that upwards deflection from equilibrium ride height the frame will move about 4.5mm sideways – little under 0.18”. The wheel base shown is 2m, 78 and 3/4 “. Length of wishbone lessens the tendency of the rear wheel and SC wheel to “trailer” steer because of that movement. In saying that though there seems to me no reason why forward facing arms could not be used instead of the, “across the frame” A-arms. It is just that A-arms can be smaller tubing and package very well.

Cheers Paul
pdwalsh59

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hub bearing assembly is an NTN HUB232-8. It will need a fabricated upright to carry it. The choice was motivated by flange offset of 41mm. This allows packaging all within an ET55 rim. The rim I have chosen to model (poorly) is from a 2007 Honda Accord and is a 6.5j x 15 ET55 with 5x 144.3 PCD - this mated to a 205/65R15 tyre.

Currently the modeled Honda rim allows about 30 + 30 degrees lock to lock. I expect once I get better measurements of the rim this will increase.

Unfortunately the rim would require a rebore to fit the Hub Bearing assembly - Centre Bore of Rim 64.1mm with wheel mount diameter of the Hub (Dw) 66mm.

The lower ball joint (spherical bearing) is a COM12T which has a 3/4” Bore. It is mounted in the upright, not the bottom wishbone. The reason for this is to allow the disc to move very close to the upright – packaging. Also it allows the A-arm pivot point to attach higher in the frame – giving greater ground clearance at front. The COM12T is very large for the application - a review of COG will probably show I can go down in size but if it packages well maybe the bigger the better?
pdwalsh59

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see in this image http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p417/pdwalsh59/rake%20and%20trail_zpsvcfevwwv.png

I currently have designed in almost 50mm of trail - 6.5 degrees of caster and 10 mm of caster offset.

First question is that too much? Any recommendations?

Regards
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: