An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New rig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
High Octane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: New rig Reply with quote

I just spent a few days with Jay and the fellas in Kentucky getting used to my new rig. Here are a few comments I made on ADVRider

Road for 1/2 day with the TR Gang in Kentucky today. When I broke the tire loose in 2nd gear on dry pavement I knew this is the bike for me! I need to get used to the sidecar brake but after 1/2 day of riding I'm very impressed. It's set up with about the max trail right now and it's very stable, not twitchy at all. After I get more aquatinted with the rig I think I'll want to decrease the trail for a bit easier steering, but it is really pretty good as it is. SWMBO even liked riding in the chair. Woody's turn tomorrow.

[ATTACH=full]759320[/ATTACH]

I told them to all stand by a pretty bike as I took the pic. They all moved away from the DS bikes for some reason!

Ok I'll work on loading pics later.
Ralph

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
High Octane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to meet you and the rest of the Lexington crew, Ralph. I have to get a photo hosting account before I can post pics! But meanwhile here is another post I made on adv without the pics:

Woody approves. Road the rig thru the twisties in Danial Boone National forest yesterday. It is a totally different animal from my other rigs. I was pretty much able to keep up to a potato chip truck. So I'm feeling good about that. Hey those guys are professionals!
Here a pic of Woody and the rig on a ferry crossing the Kentucky river. I learned it in a movie, it's a great way to ditch the police.

Then back to Jays garage for a great fish fry, little Kentucky bourbon, and some great stories of dogs, hunting and fishing and of course motorbikes with some great fellas from he area.
Jay gave me some more instructions on how to drive the new rig. He says to keep the Rs above 5k and never use the brakes! Sounds like good advice.
Heading out to day to hunt down that potatoe chip truck and give him the what for!

Yeah. Finally sunk in to my head. Ya gotta drive it so the engine is used for both speeding up and slowing down! Lots easier on the arms.
But if I run it like that I'm gonna have to do something about that 2 brothers exhaust pipe. I don't know how it's done in Kentucky but it ain't gonna be worth a damn as it is for a poaching rig back home.
Ralph

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Jay may still have the stock mufflers. I am glad you are happy. There is a learning curve Smile
JayBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a pleasure having you in town. I was reminded how fun it is to ride with other hpers. We should plan a gathering/reunion at the event in upstate NY this summer. Posted in events.

If anyone's interested, here's the link to High Octane's thread on advrider.com.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/hp-sidecar.1198553/
JayBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the stock muffler. It weighs 36 lbs! Here's a thread on how to quite the Two Brothers.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/4593-attn-two-brothers-exhaust.html

Or let's get a Gathering up for the USCA Rally in Corning Ny Question Question

Or get better ear plugs. Very Happy
High Octane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for a get together. What else is retirement for?
I'll look into the repack. Hang onto the stock muffler unti we can meet up again.
David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To High Octane

Congratulations on your new rig!!

For your exhaust, go to "Two Brothers" website, go to Concourse Exhaust, go to Accessories and replacement parts. Look for exhaust tips. This is a baffle reducing the outlet size. Repacking won't work. Get the quietest, you will be happy. It will also eliminate most of your popping and backfiring. I added a baffle to my carbon fiber Graves exhaust, love it.
High Octane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Will do.
Ralph

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As best as I can remember I cut about 3” off of muffler. You will have to shorten the baffle a bit.
Measure twice and cut once Smile
High Octane

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
To High Octane

Congratulations on your new rig!!

For your exhaust, go to "Two Brothers" website, go to Concourse Exhaust, go to Accessories and replacement parts. Look for exhaust tips. This is a baffle reducing the outlet size. Repacking won't work. Get the quietest, you will be happy. It will also eliminate most of your popping and backfiring. I added a baffle to my carbon fiber Graves exhaust, love it.

Works great. About perfect now. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: