An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BMW 16" tire research

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davebig

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: BMW 16" tire research Reply with quote

Ambrose Bierce
bruce_in_pa18015

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The research must be funded by the USA Government and is top secret. :>)

Bruce
davebig

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruce_in_pa18015 wrote:
The research must be funded by the USA Government and is top secret. :>)

Here's what I clumsily didn't manage to post
I've managed to put more miles than either of the 2 previous owners and 1.5 sets set of tires Laughing the Yokohama S-Drive in 175/55 or 50 /16 are sport tires and are fun but expire soon maybe 6500 miles in the pusher and sidecar positions. UTQG rating of 180 or 300

Onward and forward the K1200gt/EZS looses lots of tire room to the inner fender panel that protects the shock, 185/55/16 is too big would need to cut some fender panel away but they are available with a UTQG rating of 700+ perhaps 65k on an auto.

There is a 195/45/16 Conti's ProContact with a UTQG of 500 plus supposedly a 60k auto tire hurrah it fit, lots of 195/50/16 durable tires next season I may try some of them.

I like the way to goes with the 195's and, I had some preload cranked into swaybar and took some of that out and of course my drivings improved but it finally feels like I thought it should. I'm pleased ! If I got 10 k miles out of the pusher,I'd probably join some organized religion and rejoice !

Tire size calculator here :
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

Ambrose Bierce
Ralph

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be a smart ass,just saying if you have to worry about the mileage on your tires and or gas mileage may be your not having as much fun as you should be. Fun ain't cheap Smile
davebig

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass,just saying if you have to worry about the mileage on your tires and or gas mileage may be your not having as much fun as you should be. Fun ain't cheap Smile

I surely wouldn't argue that with you, and they are still cheaper than motorcycle tires but I'm an old man and justify my ownership by considering it more a sporty tourer.
It's heavy and wide EZS Summit and there are a couple spots it's no faster than my Adv 1150gs rig.
But cruising on state 2 lanes I do find myself just flying ! Big Grin

Ambrose Bierce
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Continental you list isn't a great tyre, at least not on a BMW automobile. Sure, they last long; but they slide far too easily and aren't that great in the rain.

Basically the UTQG number is not a good rating to go by. The higher the number, supposedly the longer wear - but they do that by making them of very hard, very non-sticky rubber. It's no good having long-lasting tyres if you end up sliding off the road into a tree.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is available in a 195/45 16 size, and is an incredibly good tyre, especially in the wet. They lasted about 25K-30K miles of extreme abuse on my car, so mileage shouldn't be an issue. Only downside was that they were very noisy - but that's not a concern on a sidecar. Michelin also makes several more-sticky versions of the Pilot, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're after.

Warning: there is no real standard on tyre sizes (other than the rim dimensions). A 195/45 from one maker can be a very different size from a 195/45 from someone else. If at all possible, measure an actual tyre mounted on the same width rim as you have before buying.
davebig

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul
Your exactly right , I agree entirely. When I got it there was a set of Yokohama S-Drives UTQG of 180 they went away almost as I watched went to another set S-Drives rated 300 got maybe 6500 out of them without rotating both 175/50 or 55/16 and basically that's the only easy to buy tire in that size.
I might be able to get a 195/50/16 in the tubs wheel well but would probably have to trim some inner fender panel out that keeps stuff off the shock.But there's lots of variety in that size.

A harder tire was what I was after, I might try the MIchelins next but the harder Conti's feel pretty good better than I had expected. The Conti's go either direction will be easy to rotate between chair and pusher.Onward.DB

An elaborate tire and wheel size calculator :https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Ambrose Bierce
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought: have you checked the toe-in on your rig?

Normally the sidecar tyre will last a good long time; yours is wearing very quickly. Excessive toe-in could be one reason why.
davebig

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: toe in Reply with quote

Yes I have and it's in line with what the builders suggested 1.25", I'm told that wide track and wide tire sidecars need allot of toe to help keep them tracking, a buddy has a modern EML double wide EML told him 1".
I'm going to see how it goes with this set of tires before I change anything, I'm familiar with more conventional sidecars I've got a 1150gs with one of Claude Stanleys sidecars , I run 175/65/15 in the pusher and sidecar positions, I got 16k on the last pusher.

I'm a little surprised I'm the 3rd owner and I've ridden it further than either previous owner and no one has been interested in sorting it out till me. No one even got it to a BMW dealer where they might have got the rear main seal and a clutch plate reasonably, 11 yrs old and 12.6 k miles WTF.
These things aren't for everyone and don't have a huge amount in common with adv sidecars but for covering distance quickly its way faster.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9vlu10nEQ9Y/VgiIIPFPz9I/AAAAAAAAEHk/U4Q2f8wFaCQ/w640-h480-no/P1010021.JPG

Ambrose Bierce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: