An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Went for a ride (or two)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Pictures / Photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Went for a ride (or two) Reply with quote

Had to go visit my friendly local Moto Guzzi dealer to get some parts so my Guzzi could pass inspection and I could start riding it. My closest dealer is a little over 100 miles away, but rode through the Green Mtns in Vermont to get there. A nice ride.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread (Summit Point 2015) I recently was on a tour along the Silk Road, traveling from Istanbul Turkey to Xian China. Even though I was riding on 2 wheels myself, there was a sidecar in the group, so I will take the liberty of posting a few pictures from that trip here.

Everywhere we went, we all seemed to draw attention from the locals, but it was the sidecar in the group that really drew crowds. Kids particularly seemed to like it.

45 years ago, I was in the US Coast Guard and stationed in Turkey at a LORAN transmitting station. (LORAN was a navigation/ positioning system used long before GPS. It is now defunct.) Before departing Istanbul, I took the opportunity to visit the site where the CG station used to be, about 65 miles west of Istanbul.
Standing on the beach where CG station used to be

standing by the remains of the base of the transmitting tower with a couple of police that helped us find it

My bike by St Sophia's Church/Mosque/Museum in Istanbul

Outside a museum in Tehran - these women had just put a red flower in the lion's mouth

I had to get in the picture, too

On to Bukhara, Uzbekistan, just in time for the opening parade for their annual Silk and Spices Festival with dancers of all ages

and Samarkand, Uzbekistan. Both Bukhara and Samarkand were important stopping points along the Silk Road. Both are still very lively, vibrant cities.

Into the Pamir Mountains of Tajikistan - this is the main highway through the mountains (Hwy M41), over 14,000 ft above sea level

Finally made it into China and tried some alternative means of transportation

then got back on the bike and rode a bit along the remains of the Great Wall of China

And we ended up in Xian, China, the home of the Terra Cotta Warriors

And then I came home so I could ride my own sidecar (see above).
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
Doug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Wow what a trip! Reply with quote

Man Dar! Looks like you had an amazing trip. Great pictures, would love to see more.
Dar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wow what a trip! Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
Man Dar! Looks like you had an amazing trip. Great pictures, would love to see more.

Yes, it WAS an amazing trip. I've been home for four weeks and I'm still trying to recover from two months of sensory overload.
As I mentioned in the Summit Point 2015 thread, you can read and see a lot more stories and pictures at:
www.globeriders.com
and then clicking on the LiveJournal tab at the left, then going to The Latest Live Journal, Silk Road 22015.

for some reason that I don't understand, when I try to paste in the whole address, as Bill did in the Summit Pt thread, it seems to cut off half of the address you put in and doesn't get you to the GlobeRiders website at all. Maybe something to do with the exclamation point that GlobeRiders uses in the middle of the name Live!Journal, but I don't really know. But going to the GlobeRiders main webpage and then proceeding as I describe above should get you there.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
Dar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, if you're really interested, you can sign up to go on this trip with GlobeRiders yourself. Or any of the several other trips that they do. (If they decide you and your bike meet their qualifications - read their FAQ page.)
But be careful, several of the people on my trip had already been on a couple of their trips and planning on doing more in the future - it seems to be somewhat addicting.
Tell them I sent you.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
JayBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats Awesome!
Blast54

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an awesome trip... will have to read trip report.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Pictures / Photos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: