An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

beginner help please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cansniper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: beginner help please! Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am brand new to sidecars, and trying to learn all I can. I currently have an 08 hayabusa and am looking at the possibility of putting a sidecar on it...(Hannigan Sprint is being considered.) I am looking for some advice, tips, warnings, and any and all education I can get on the subject. I have a 5 year old daughter who wants to come with us when we travel with the bike so it will be for her benefit. My only issues are that I am looking for something sporty looking to match the bike, I want to be able to install or remove the car easily when it is not being used, and I don't want to modify the suspension or wheels on the bike..(IF I don't have to). So help me out guys, what do you think?
Thanks in advance!
zentime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: beginner help please! Reply with quote

cansniper wrote:
Hi All,
I am brand new to sidecars, and trying to learn all I can. I currently have an 08 hayabusa and am looking at the possibility of putting a sidecar on it...(Hannigan Sprint is being considered.) I am looking for some advice, tips, warnings, and any and all education I can get on the subject. I have a 5 year old daughter who wants to come with us when we travel with the bike so it will be for her benefit. My only issues are that I am looking for something sporty looking to match the bike, I want to be able to install or remove the car easily when it is not being used, and I don't want to modify the suspension or wheels on the bike..(IF I don't have to). So help me out guys, what do you think?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!. I'm assuming since you own a Hyabusa, you're not an old geezer like some of the people on this forum. Laughing

Since you don't want to modify things, the best advice I can give you is to get in touch with Hannigan Motorsports in Murray KT. They've done exactly what you're looking to do. The have jigs to build a sprint to fit your bike.

bill

will August ever come............
cansniper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Bill. I didn't realise they would have specific jigs for my bike. I figured because it was so new I might haver to do the fab work myself. I will give them a call. And no I'm not an old geeser yet..just 35 but I might as well get started now...lol.
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cansniper,
I own a Hannigan Sprint.
If you plan on having three people, I do not recommend any one on the back of the bike.
With the g forces, it's sometimes tough to hang on.
With that in mind, you may want a wider sidecar to be able to hold two people.
Hannigan also sells a Bandito and a New HPS sidecar that may be a better choice.
Just my two cents.
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
robber98

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: 'Busa with sidecar Reply with quote

I bought a 2001 'busa with a Hannigan sidecar that, from my understanding, Hannigan used for their show bike. I've had it about a year and it is one of my favorite bikes to ride, I have ride 2 up on the bike with a passenger in the sidecar very often with no issues. It is a blast to ride and very stable. I'd recommend it if you are interested in this setup.
Ralph

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
SIDEWISE

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: beginner help please! Reply with quote

cansniper wrote:
Hi All,
I want to be able to install or remove the car easily when it is not being used, and I don't want to modify the suspension or wheels on the bike..(IF I don't have to). So help me out guys, what do you think?
Thanks in advance!

Ain't possible. Sidecars are a commitment, aside from some small low performance outfits or ancient Harley Davidson technology you're not going to be able to switch back and forth so easily. Once you get it on and aligned you'll want to leave it that way, realigning and brake bleeding every other disconnect even with quick disconnect connectors will drive you to insanity. On and off easily myth is perpetuated by dealers looking to represent their product as having dual capacity. Generally the heavier passenger would go in the sidear so this almost begs for a doublewide or 1 1/2 sidecar with a wife and five year old passengers. Once you've gone to an outfit with that much width you'll have to make modifications unless you're built like Hercules or don't mind going real slow. Certainly not easily done with a Hyabusa as the tug, better off thinking in terms of a second bike for solo or two-up riding.

I'll shut up now.
Ralph

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: