An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maggie Valley 2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Maggie Valley 2013 Reply with quote

Only 4 months until the end of June.
Are there any plans yet for a Gathering this year?

Question Question Question
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
David

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Maggie Valley 2013 Reply with quote

Wondering the same thing! Is there going to be a gathering at Maggie Valley this year? If not, I am thinking about going to the United Sidecar Association gathering which is in the Ozarks.

Does anyone have any thoughts at all? Sad Trying to make up a schedule!

Question Question Question
zentime

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in posting about this. Maggie Vally can always happen regardless, if enough people are able work out the scheduled for it. It shouldn't be dependent on 1 or 2 people being able to go. We usually do it the 3rd week in June. Unfortunately, the third week in June doesn't work for people who's kids would still be in school. The last week in June works for some but others like Margie and I, it doesn't. We can't do it the last week in June. This could change in time but for this year and probably next, that's the situation.

Another option has come up for at least some of us to get together the last weekend in June at the SRA races at Summit Point West Virginia. This event is normally in September but has been rescheduled to the last weekend in June. The plan right now is that Bill, Ron and I will load our 3 sidecars on one trailer and the 3 of us will drive down to Summit Point together in one truck, just for the weekend like we've done in the past. From my last conversation with Ralph, I understand that He, Jay and Steve are going drive up from Lexington KY to meet us. I haven't posted anything until now because I've been trying confirm the date at Summit Point and gauge the interest on this change. So that's the situation as best I know right now. Hopefully all the people that have made Summit Point before plus anyone else that's interest that could make it, can come and join in on the fun and support the folks from the SRA.
It's not Maggie Vally but it sure is a lot of fun. We stay at a motel about 12 miles from the track and most of the riding is just back and forth to the track and maybe going to a restaurant. So if you plan on driving your rig to the track, plan an interesting ride for yourself. Big Grin
Bill

will August ever come............
docmike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our plans for this summer are all undecided right now, thanks to congress I'm looking at a furlough and 20% cut in pay starting mid April. If that happens chances are we won't be going anywhere.

Don't know if I could get Jody to go back to Maggie Valley anyhow.

We were planning a trip to the Ironhorse campground as soon as school was out.
http://www.ironhorsenc.com/
but that's in question as of now.

I would like to make the West Virginia trip, but who knows.

To quote Mark Twain "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Dar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Who wants to go to Maggie Valley? Reply with quote

Is anybody besides me interested in meeting up in Maggie Valley for the last week in June (even if those New Englanders can't make it?)

What I'm thinking is meeting up the weekend of June 22-23, do the usual riding around in the Smokies for a few days, and then toward the end of the week head north to meet up with the Bills and Ron at Summit Point for the races on the weekend. That would give us a chance to let them know how much fun they missed.

The ride from Maggie Valley to Winchester Va is 442 miles, about 7 hours, if you hop on the Interstate and just drive. Or, you could follow the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Skyline Drive the whole way for a total of 586 miles and 14.5 hours, or two comfortable days of riding. Or... well, there are lots of nice roads you take to get there in two days. (I guess the Blue Ridge route wouldn't be available to those of you who like to carry your rigs on trailers, rather than actually ride them to go someplace.)

If anybody is interested in Maggie Valley, please post here or get in touch with me via PM on the forum or e-mail.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
SIDEWISE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Summit Raceway Reply with quote

I had planned on going to Summit and NJ Motorsports to watch the SRA, so this would work out great for me. Wife and I would ride the rig down from NJ and would sure enjoy a meet up with other like minded and some casual riding. Be sure to post motel particulars.

Ed
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Mike- Hope everything works out! Enjoyed your piece on your sidecar rig.

Dar said
Quote:
(I guess the Blue Ridge route wouldn't be available to those of you who like to carry your rigs on trailers, rather than actually ride them to go someplace.)

Ma, help me up! Another low blow without my cup on! Big Grin

Okay guys. Count me in for Virginia. Be good to see all of you. Not sure about Maggie Valley yet.
Dar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - Yes, the pay cut really sucks, as does the uncertainty of this whole budget thing, but try to keep a positive attitude - my dictionary says that a furlough is a "vacation or leave of absence"

David - please don't feel like I'm picking on just you. I was referring to almost the whole gang. Does anybody actually ride to Maggie Valley besides Pa Bruce and me, and once or twice our friend from St Louis?

Ed - as for motel arrangements, most of the guys stay at the Applecover Inn in Maggie Valley, for myself, I have always camped with my tent next door at the Hillbilly Campground.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
SIDEWISE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Summit Point Reply with quote

Thanx Dar, I was already aware of the motel arrangements for Maggie Valley, I was looking for the motel arrangement for Summit Point location.
zentime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Summit Point Reply with quote

SIDEWISE wrote:
Thanx Dar, I was already aware of the motel arrangements for Maggie Valley, I was looking for the motel arrangement for Summit Point location.

Thought I'd jump in here and post the link to where we have stayed in the past and intend on staying this year. They have a huge parking lot for our trailers Laughing

http://www.econolodge.com/hotel-winchester-virginia-VA226?promo=gglocal

link to a previous trip to SP.

http://www.hpsidecars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=888

Bill

will August ever come............
SIDEWISE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Summit Point 2013 Reply with quote

Thanks Zentime I was hoping you'd see my request. Econolodge seems a good choice, we've stayed in the area before actually in Woodstock VA, a little further south at the northern end of Skyline Drive.

I enjoyed the pix of 2011 event and video of the parade lap you posted. Nancy and I will be there for sure!

Think they'll agree to that parade lap again?

Ed
Ralph

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dar as you well know me thinks there is something wrong with you anyway Smile That being said some people have to work at the car wash and can't run all over the world riding around for weeks at a time.
Just Saying Laughing
Ralph

Dar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph wrote:
Dar as you well know me thinks there is something wrong with you anyway Smile That being said some people have to work at the car wash and can't run all over the world riding around for weeks at a time.
Just Saying Laughing
Ralph

Well, yes, I've been told that before, and not just by you, Ralph. As long as it's not my doctor telling me that, I don't pay much attention. Big Grin Big Grin

Are you saying that you're too busy at the car wash to come to Maggie Valley this year? Sad Sad
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
Dar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if nobody else plans to show up in Maggie Valley this year,I guess I'll join the club and not go, too.

My plans have evolved to visiting some other friends in Virginia and West Virginia during the week before the Summit Point races, and doing some riding in between. No car wash to worry about or fast riders to try and keep up with - which I can't anyways - so I'll just be taking my time and enjoying the ride. IF I make it as far south as the Smokies, I probably would be at the MC campground on 276 near Cruso, rather than in Maggie Valley. (Haven't stayed there since the year before I got the sidecar.)

And by Friday evening, I plan to be meeting up with the gang at Summit Point .
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
Ralph

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is good Be Safe Big Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: