An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medium Performance Sidecar BMW R80RT / EML Tour T sold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docmike

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Medium Performance Sidecar BMW R80RT / EML Tour T sold Reply with quote

1983 R80RT, previous owner installed R100 jugs and carbs. EML leading link front end. Includes soft top, tonneau cover, and lowers for fairing.

All brakes tied to rear brake pedal using VW master cylinder with proportioning valves in lines to rear and side.

15 inch car tirs on all three wheels.

Corbin seat

Dent in gas tank where I dropped it while working on brake plumbing.

See more at

http://public.fotki.com/michaelcurrin/rallies/r80rt-tour-t/

$8500

mcur123@embarqmail.com
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
windy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since getting this rig I've been unable to get the rear and sidecar brakes to work correctly(actually a bike shop) I'm at a loss,so I'm thinking about selling the rig.
docmike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent
67 Triumph 650 chopper
docmike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

my email is broken, this is a little long for a forum reply but here goes

Rich,

Didn't realize that was you on the forum, thought maybe it had been sold again.

The master cylinder on there was from an air cooled bug, I think they are all alike.

As afar as the sidcar caliper, I'm not sure about the one on your rig, but on my Speed 2000 it matched up to a Ducati rear caliper. I just carried the caliper to the local Honda/Suzuki/ Kawasaki/ Yamaha shop and the parts guy went through a stack of catalogs until we found it. (He's a fellow BMW rider)

Having said all that, I used the VW master cylinder when I had all the brakes tied to the rear pedal, it may be to much for just the rear and sidecar. I've been doing a lot of studying the last couple months on the required ratios between master cylinder and caliper areas. On my speed 2000 I think the EML supplied master cylinder is too big, so I'm changing it out with one from a K100, which is slightly larger than the K1100 original, but not nearly as large as the EML one. (I was out of work for a few weeks for hip replacement, got bored and took the sawsall to the sidecar frame, among other things, the doctor sent me back to work so I would rest) It should be back together soon will let you know how changing the master cylinder to the smaller one worked out.

If that works maybe you should look at going to a stock BMW master cylinder. Lots of people seem to hook their sidecar brakes up to their existing brake systems without problems. One guy here I talked to has his sidecar brake hooked into the stock master cylinder on his Goldwing with a quick connect and claims it works great.

Mike
67 Triumph 650 chopper
windy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike , I tried to reply to the other e-mail,no luck. The airhead EMLs used there own frames,so a oem mastercyliner won't work I've been told.Wes,the tech that is working on the rig is going to replace the sidecar brake caliper(Grimeca) with a Brembo unit,as grimeca's nla.The one on the hack is pitted badly. I'm at a loss being mechanically declined. I understand the theroy,but I'm not very hands on any more. Rich
windy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes and Tim got the brakes sorted out,Tim had to make a new mount for the Brembo brake caliper it looks great and works well. While doing the service many oil leaks were found and fixed including pushrod seals. Some other mods were made by Tim to facilatate easier future service(hinged rear sidecarbody mounts) tip up sidecar body. They've done great work,but there's still cleanup and repainting work to be done and I'm about out of funds to do them. I'm going to put the outfit up for sale as I can not do that on my own and can no longer afford to pay to have it done.
ScotJesica

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all the brakes tied to the rear pedal, it may be to much for just the rear and sidecar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: