An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

European Trip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zentime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flint wrote:
Hi

http://www.keup.lu/index.php?module=cms&page=hotel

this hotel is really nearest to the EGT, but i was never there Wink

Thanks, well look at staying there.

Bill

will August ever come............
zentime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flint wrote:
Hi

http://www.keup.lu/index.php?module=cms&page=hotel

this hotel is really nearest to the EGT, but i was never there Wink

Hi Flint,

Keup was full so we booked here

http://www.rittersprung.be/

Looks like it's about 5 miles away from the Rally.

You have a PM

Bill

Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Not Long to Go Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Polar Bear here .. calling those who are coming over to Europe for the annual Sidecar Rally in Luxembourg .. in a couple of weeks time.

Your fellow American buddy Dar and I have been putting down a Plan-A to meet up at the rally, along with his buddy Dominik from Germany.

Is anyone else meeting up there, should we be getting our on site contact details sorted (mobile phone numbers for Texting)

I don't do phones, I'm as ''deaf as a totem pole'' according to the guy in the white coat ;o( but I can do one finger texting ... that's if I'm awake when the phone vibrates.

Talk to me people .. not long to go now.

Stay Safe Wink Trev (The Polar Bear on The Costa Blanca Spain)
Dar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Polar Bear says, we have been in contact and have things worked out so that we can get in touch in Luxemburg. I also have been in touch with Flint and Zentime and have plans more or less in place to make contact with them also. I think we all will be there by Friday afternoon or evening, so let's try to at least make contact by Friday evening and set up plans to meet in person. Zen and Polar Bear are actually staying at hotels nearby, I plan to be camping at the rally site, not sure about Flint.

Is anybody else from this Forum planning to go? Any of our French friends maybe? If you want to meet up with the 4 of us that I have mentioned, please get in touch and give one of us, at least, phone or e-mail contact information.

I will be leaving home Thursday this week to fly over, and will be riding around Europe for a couple of weeks before meeting up with the rest of the gang at the sidecar rally (EGT).
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
zentime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Not Long to Go Reply with quote

Polar Bear wrote:
Hi Guys,

Polar Bear here .. calling those who are coming over to Europe for the annual Sidecar Rally in Luxembourg .. in a couple of weeks time.

Your fellow American buddy Dar and I have been putting down a Plan-A to meet up at the rally, along with his buddy Dominik from Germany.

Is anyone else meeting up there, should we be getting our on site contact details sorted (mobile phone numbers for Texting)

I don't do phones, I'm as ''deaf as a totem pole'' according to the guy in the white coat ;o( but I can do one finger texting ... that's if I'm awake when the phone vibrates.

Talk to me people .. not long to go now.

Stay Safe Wink Trev (The Polar Bear on The Costa Blanca Spain)

Looking forward to getting together in Luxembourg! Big Grin The ship with our sidecar rig is off the cost of Plymouth England as of today. The rest of our plans are mostly done. Our flight is Aug 16th from Boston to Brussels. Looking forward to this adventure! Big Grin Big Grin

See you there!
Bill

Flint

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGT was great !! Margie and Bill are very ok Worship Motorcycle Happy
Ralph, many thanks for specially gift.
...or are you just happy to see me?
David, are you back home ?

Moto Guzzi Stelvio/Swing
or BMW R 1150 GS/Ural
Dar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Home again Reply with quote

I just made it home last night from my 3 week European trip, including meeting up with several of our forum members at the Luxemburg sidecar rally.
In fact, before we (my German friend Dom and I) even got to the rally, we stopped for gas at a station across the street from where the rally was taking place and were greeted by the Polar Bear waving and shouting at us from his hotel room next to the gas station.

Then we went across the street into the rally site, saw Bill and Margie's rig parked near the information/eating/drinking tent and finally found them when they wandered back into the tent. Flint showed up from Austria the next day (Saturday) and we all had a great time looking at all sorts of sidecar rigs, talking, and just hanging out in the middle of 1000 SIDECARS Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

IT WAS GREAT Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
zentime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Home again Reply with quote

Dar wrote:
I just made it home last night from my 3 week European trip, including meeting up with several of our forum members at the Luxemburg sidecar rally.
In fact, before we (my German friend Dom and I) even got to the rally, we stopped for gas at a station across the street from where the rally was taking place and were greeted by the Polar Bear waving and shouting at us from his hotel room next to the gas station.

Then we went across the street into the rally site, saw Bill and Margie's rig parked near the information/eating/drinking tent and finally found them when they wandered back into the tent. Flint showed up from Austria the next day (Saturday) and we all had a great time looking at all sorts of sidecar rigs, talking, and just hanging out in the middle of 1000 SIDECARS Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

IT WAS GREAT Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Yes it was!!! We're in Sallanches France tonight, just west of Chamnoix and Mount Blank. Today was another amazing day of riding. The French Alps are really really really tall and are covered with snow and glaciers. Thanks for all the help you and Dom gave us. It's been a blast so far. We're working our way back to the hotel we have reserved a room at, at the Brussels airport. We'll stay there Thursday night and then Friday drive to Zeebrugge to drop the bike off for shipment back to the US and Fly home on Saturday.

Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Oh Yes Indeed .. the Sidecar Rally really was a special event to attend, I had a ball Big Grin Thank you all for helping to make my trip a success.

I have never seen so many sidecar outfits in one location .. but it was strange that they all had the chair on the wrong side Confused

Amazing how 'we' all met up amongst all the other people on that patch of thick green grass. Margie and Bill, Dave and Dom and John and Pat from the UK .. nice to put some faces on a few names Cool

However I seem to have missed Flint (or did I?) old age problems I guess.

I was kind of a little bit disapointed with the very poor turn out of Brit Bikers .. I think we could count them on one hand .. just another sign of the state of the nation in these tough financial times.

One of the most moving things for me was to shake hands with the Japanese couple who had ridden their rig all the way .. via Mongolia. That really is a ride-out. I felt quite humble to meet them .. lots of bowing and smiling. The lady was a good 4 feet short standing up .. a very tiny lady .. but one tough cookie for sure in my book! All they have to do now is grit their teeth and ride home Razz

After my more or less perfect ride North from the Costa Blanca up to Luxembourg in dry sunny weather .. in contrast my return journey was a bit of a challenge. I had monsoon rains and strong winds 'on the nose' for about 1.365 miles so that was not exactly my idea of fun.

I was more than pleased to get back here to base camp, real coffee and a long hot bath. The cat gave me a strange sideways look .. but I think Rainbow Annie was pleased to have me back .. all in one lump.

So .. again my thanks to you all .. it was a brilliant thing to do and I am pleased to have met you all ... made my year Very Happy .

Stay Safe Wink Trev (The Polar Bear, Spain)
zentime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we're back home. Can't really explain what an experience it was. I think I may have over used the the word amazing but it was. over 1000 sidecars in one place is a sight to behold. Here are links to the pictures we took at the rally and museum.

enjoy

https://plus.google.com/photos/112336370580377112065/albums/5786241386653228657

https://plus.google.com/photos/112336370580377112065/albums/5786255639204745617

our view from the bike, recommend viewing them as a quick slideshow

https://plus.google.com/photos/112336370580377112065/albums/5787268496010331233

Last edited by zentime on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, amazing is the word to describe a gathering of 1000 sidecars. Never seen the likes of it before, and not likely to see it again unless we go back over there again. My hopes aren't too high for seeing the likes of that on this side of the Atlantic anytime in the near future Sad Sad

And it was great meeting the Polar Bear and Flint, and also a few couples from England (even if they had their sidecars on the wrong side of the bike).

Glad to hear that everybody made it back home safe and sound...well, almost... Two days after we left Luxemburg, my buddy Dom had an unfortunate meeting with the pavement in Switzerland (more of a risk for those that ride on only two wheels). He's not in too bad shape - a torn ligament in his foot, no broken bones - but he's walking a bit slower and sort of funny for a while. (Scared the hell out of his cats when he got home and they saw him hopping around on his one good foot.) His bike, on the other hand (a 15 year old VFR) would cost more to fix than it's worth, so... he's selling it as scrap to somebody who has the means to go to Switzerland and pick it up. Sad Sad Not too many people in Germany own pickup trucks, neither Dom nor any of his friends have the means to bring it home for him.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Oh BUgga Reply with quote

Sad Yes .. as they say down under in Oz .. Oh Bugga!

What a sad thing to happen .. I am very sorry to hear that Dom dropped his VFR .. and so close to crossing the line after such a superb trip .. bloody bad luck mate. Get well soon .. and stop frightening the cats!

As often happens over here .. bike recovery costs more that they are worth .. but that does not make it any easier to leave it in a roadside hedge and hobble away. I hope you guys managed to salvage some of the camping kit and Dom's personal bits and bobs.

If I had a truck I'd be back up there like a shot to collect the bike for you .. but I don't .. so I can't offer much in the way of help. If it really has to be sold as scrap .. I guess the European eBay site might be a place to start .. or maybe the various VFR Owners Clubs?

I was pleased to meet you guys .. what a real mix of characters and personalities .. matter of fact Dom .. I think I like you Question (Private joke)

The bones will mend mate .. and you are still young and strong .. I'm sure you will bounce back in better shape than ever .. all you need to do then is decide what Globetrotting Iron Horse to ride next Razz .. you can hang a very nice little third wheel and box on most things these days Laughing

All the best Buddy .. grit your gums and get on with it .. like I have to Confused

Thanks for the update post Dave (I think) .. Stay Safer(er) now y'all.

Trev (the Polar Bear in Spain)
Flint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David; tell Dom he will call me on tel., maybe i can help him and his VFR, im not so far away from Switzerland, you got my number

Moto Guzzi Stelvio/Swing
or BMW R 1150 GS/Ural
Dar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flint wrote:
David; tell Dom he will call me on tel., maybe i can help him and his VFR, im not so far away from Switzerland, you got my number

Flint,
Thanks of the offer of help, but the bike is now gone. He did get paid something for it (not sure exactly how much), so he has something into the fund for his next bike, once he decides what it should be.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
Dominik74

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,

thank you for all the good whishes and offers for help.
I'm recovering from my injury quite well.
And last Friday I solde the remainings of my bike to a guy who picked it up himself. Just enought cash to buy me a new helmet.
But better than driving 5h to Switzerland and back myself with my sore foot.

However, up to that point, it was a nice vacation and meeting all of you in Luxemburg was certainly a highlight!

Take care,
Dom

+++++++++++++++++
Ducati Monster 1000 S i.e.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: