An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EML Wheel replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmroz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: EML Wheel replacement Reply with quote

Hello All,

I was involved in an accident and ruined my front wheel. Two repair shops have now said that a repair would be almost impossible, and I was wondering if someone might be able to point me towards any information regarding used or replacement parts.

I have a '78 EML built around a BMW R100s, and the information on the wheel reads: 300 DX 15 EML TW 3268.

I've had some people suggest using other makes of wheel that would basically require fabrication of a new front end around it, which is just as unfeasible at this point. It's important that the same rotors, brakes and tire be used in the same fork.

It's taken almost a month for these shops to finally give me the bad news, and as this is my only transportation, the sooner that a replacement can be found, the better.

Thank you for any help.
zentime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're at the point of considering using a different wheel, take a look at the wheel I used in building this

http://hpsidecars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=869

It's an American Racing Torq Thrust wheel. It's 4.5" wide and available here

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-1055465/

hope that helps

bill

will August ever come............
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'78 EML.... are those the 8-spoke wheels, that are used with tube-type tyres? e.g. the 125x15 Citroën car tyres/tubes?

In which case, you're not going to find much as a replacement. All modern wheels will be built for tubeless tyres, and will be significantly wider - so they won't fit in your forks.

If I remember, the brake discs attached to the wheels directly which you won't find on a car wheel either. And, the EML wheel was symmetrical right/left, car wheels are not.

I think you're stuck with either (a) finding a used replacement somewhere, or (b) finding a non-EML front wheel for use with leading link forks. Someone like American Racing could build you a one-off custom replacement, but the cost would be pretty high.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: