An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi all from Chicago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Hi all from Chicago Reply with quote

I thought I had a high performance sidecar but, after looking at some photos I think it's more vintage. I ride a 1976 Moto Guzzi/EML Tour T rig. My first sidecar was a Harley FLH with a factory chair I bought in 84. I sold that and bought a 76 Guzzi 850t3 with a new Velorex 562 in 86. I added a Unit fork and then transplanted a Guzzi 1000 LeMans drive train into it. It was a fun little rig. By chance a friend found an EML/Guzzi convert rig for sale so I spent the winter on 95 putting my current rig together. Basicly it's the 76 frame with the 86 1000 LeMans engine and trans. I've added some performance mods and I think it's pretty sweet. Now after 15 seasons it's looking a little long in the tooth so I'd like to do some updates.

I ride a 2000 Triumph Sprint ST also and am restoring my second Guzzi V7 Sport. I ride in the dirt with my son as well, on my Suzuki DRZ400e. I also have a Yamaha XS650 that my son and I are doing a cafe job on.

When not wotking on bikes, I brew beer!

For the past 28 years I've owned an auto repair business in Chicago's southwest suburbs.

I'd like to talk to other early EML owners about handling mods they've done to there rigs. Specifily a sway bar.
Gazza

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Joe,

Your rig looks great. Motorcycle Happy
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
docmike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

We have an R80RT/EML Tour T, I refer to it as a medium performance sidecar. I like the looks of the cut down windscreen on yours, we usually leave ours off.

A while back saw a Guzzi / Tour T with a Brookland screen always thought it was great looking rig. Thought about doing that on ours, just never got around to it.

for some sway bar ideas look here

http://hpsidecars.com/Projects.htm

Welcome

Mike
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
JoeW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine put a windscreen like that on his EML Tour T. I don't have a picture but he removed the glass, cut the frame in half and had a longer piece of glass cut for it. It looks great!
zentime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet looking rig there! Welcome to the forum Big Grin

Nice to have another Guzzi Guy on the forum Big Grin I have ea 73 V7Sport I bought brand new. It's still original (except for the mufflers) but haven't used it in at least 10 years. Getting it ready to ride again is in my near future. Wouldn't happen to have a nice set of original v7Sport mufflers laying around would you? Laughing I have a new set of Selentium replacements with the rolled rear edge but........sure wish I had a pair of the original ones. It's pretty much original except for some switch gear.
Bill

will August ever come............
JoeW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my 4th V7 Sport. Traded a Norton for one in college then went to BMW. I picked one up from the estate of an old friend in the 90s and restored it. Sold it, bought 2 sold one for nearly what I had in both and am restoring the one I kept.

Those mufflers are rarer than hen's teeth!
A JOURNEYMAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pictures of your rig at a rockers get together a couple of years ago in Chicago. thought it was cool then and still do.
will you be in Milwaukee for Rockerbox this year? I'm going up Friday and then on to Ride for Kids in Middleton Sunday.
A JOURNEYMAN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: rockerbox 2011 Reply with quote

I am glad we were able to hang out together at Rockerbox.
for your info --the incident was resolved OK --

got a trophy --Best European--only because your bike wasn't entered Rolling Eyes
odd because I consider it a North American original thanks ---Bill,Bill and Dave Big Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: