An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Car Tyres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagafan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Car Tyres Reply with quote

I thought I had solved the problem of tyres by running a 6" bike wheel fore and aft with 190x40x17 car tyres fitted. But I read in this forum that bead seats are different. I have seen a trike that used a ZX9R bike to push it along and that seemed ok? can you machine the bead seat on the bike wheel to suit?

Can someone shed some light on this topic.
Gazza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this topic comes up on the 'Britchopper' forum, but they are fitting bike tyres to car wheels, what i understand is, like you say the beads are different, whether there is enough material in a bike wheel to machine would be my concern, and that a car 17 inch tyre can be totally different in diameter to a bike 17 inch tyre,
maybe someone more informed might post a better reply
cudgel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is DON'T DO IT! It can be fatal. Car tires on car rims, bike tires on bike rims, no matter what anyone says and no matter how many Gold Wingers and others are doing it.
zentime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what Gazza and cudgel said 1000 times over regardless that people do it.

I don't have the exact #'s in front of me but besides the rim profiles being completely different, bead seat diameters are also different on car and motorcycle wheels. In the case of 17", the motorcycle rim diameter is significantly smaller than a car rim. So a car tire slips easily on to a motorcycle rim but it's wrong because the rim can move around on the bead seat. Basically the tire has to be over inflated to secure it to the rim but there is always the possibility of catastrophic failure.

will August ever come............
Dar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zentime wrote:
what Gazza and cudgel said 1000 times over regardless that people do it.

I don't have the exact #'s in front of me but besides the rim profiles being completely different, bead seat diameters are also different on car and motorcycle wheels. In the case of 17", the motorcycle rim diameter is significantly smaller than a car rim. So a car tire slips easily on to a motorcycle rim but it's wrong because the rim can move around on the bead seat. Basically the tire has to be over inflated to secure it to the rim but there is always the possibility of catastrophic failure.

Thanks for posting in English this time, Zen. I couldn't figure out what you were trying to say when you were posting in Azerbaijani Laughing Laughing Laughing
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
zentime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from these specs, here are the diameter differences between car rims and motorcycle rims. The chart also shows the difference in profile for the standard car rim and motorcycle rim.

Wheel size 15" ________ 16"_________ 17"_________ 18"

car rim dia 14.968"______15.968"______17.189"______18.189"

mc rim dia 15.08"______15.978"______17.08"______18.08"

will August ever come............
arbalest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: car tires on motorcycle wheels Reply with quote

The current wisdom is don't do it. That said, Kosman Specialties has been machining the bead off motorcycle wheels and putting an automotive bead on, for years, for the drag racing crowd. They can also widen the wheel and/or change the offset.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: