An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my front end design
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Pictures / Photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: my front end design Reply with quote

for some reason pics uploaded in reverse order, so firstly some pics of subframe in progress

hub, disc and carrier assemled

hub carrier

hub from vauxhall van
arbalest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: front end design Reply with quote

Gazza,

Why did you decide to use a design with a kingpin inclination angle, as opposed to having your ball joints in the same vertical plane? What are you using for a wheel? It looks like you will need a fair amount of offset to get to zero scrub radius.

Mike lydon
docmike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Gazza

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: front end design Reply with quote

arbalest wrote:
Gazza,

Why did you decide to use a design with a kingpin inclination angle, as opposed to having your ball joints in the same vertical plane? What are you using for a wheel? It looks like you will need a fair amount of offset to get to zero scrub radius.

Mike lydon

if i had ball joints in same vertical plane,they would have been one above and one below the disc, i had made a mock up off this type and felt that i could not make it strong enough, i am using a wheel the same as one fitted to sidecar, 15 inch with a 195 tyre, the amount of offset was worked out by doing a scale drawing and there is some machining to do i need to create a 60 x 8mm hole, so that the hub mounts against the face of carrier, there is 60mm offset over 300mm centres
Gazza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, no more rallies this year so bike has been attacked, front forks removed and started to fit CHS, ride height and top swinging arm to sort out, but knew this was coming, looks ok steering arm has loads of clearence doesn't hit the shock, might get to post some pics later in week
Gazza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

few more pics
steering arm connected, calipers widened but not functional as yet, and calipers mounted

SidecarSanders

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Sweeeet! Reply with quote

Wow,
I'm envious of you talents and sitting here in 4 foot snow banks wishing you were my neighbor.
Where you at now in the process?

Jeff Sanders

'07 GS Adv
'76 R90/6
'95 R1100R/Armec
Gazza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweeeet! Reply with quote

SidecarSanders wrote:
Wow, Where you at now in the process?

i have made little progress due to being so cold in garage and xmas, brakes are plumbed in, and made a different steering arangement between the bottom yoke and steering arm, really just the mudguard to do and job sorted, will crack on in new year
arbalest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: widened calipers Reply with quote

Gazza,

What did you use for "o" rings to seal the brake fluid ports? I have not been successful sourcing a material that will stand uo to brake fluid.

Thanks,

Mike Lydon
Gazza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: widened calipers Reply with quote

arbalest wrote:
Gazza,

What did you use for "o" rings to seal the brake fluid ports? I have not been successful sourcing a material that will stand uo to brake fluid.

Thanks,

Mike Lydon

a friend used to own a bike shop, he had a tin full of o'rings off brake calipers, used some of these, not sure what they are from, sorry for being vague
Gazza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

progress, just finishing touches to do now

zentime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! you sure have made a lot of progress. Big Grin

It may be an optical illusion but in the second to last picture it looks like you have quite a large caster angle. Meaning the upper ball joint seems to be quite a bit behind the lower ball joint? Just for reference I made up this sketch to show the effect 1 degree of caster angle has on trail. Dimensions are in inches.

will August ever come............
Gazza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zentime wrote:
Wow! you sure have made a lot of progress. Big Grin

It may be an optical illusion but in the second to last picture it looks like you have quite a large caster angle. Meaning the upper ball joint seems to be quite a bit behind the lower ball joint? Just for reference I made up this sketch to show the effect 1 degree of caster angle has on trail. Dimensions are in inches.

ok,cheers for this, i will shorten the rose joints on lower arm and see if it helps Very Happy
arbalest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: caster/trail Reply with quote

How much trail and what caster angle would you recommend? Cudgel said his rig, with the Miata front suspension, needed to be adjusted beyond the Miata maximum of 8.5 deg. to get rid of constant feeling the front end was hunting.
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: caster/trail Reply with quote

arbalest wrote:
How much trail and what caster angle would you recommend? Cudgel said his rig, with the Miata front suspension, needed to be adjusted beyond the Miata maximum of 8.5 deg. to get rid of constant feeling the front end was hunting.

The caster angle you want is dependent on the trail you want because of the difference in the od of the tire you're using. I'm comfortable with around 1 1/2" of trail. 1" would be too quick for me. More than 2" would make for heaver steering than I like. For the 185/55 15 tires I like that translates into 7 to 10 degrees of caster. I can't speak for the miata spindle because of the offset ball joint configuration and never having used that configuration.

Any pictures yet of your frontend?

will August ever come............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Pictures / Photos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: