An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howdy from Washington State

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ngthomas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Howdy from Washington State Reply with quote

Howdy,

My name is Nelson and I live in Kennewick, Washington, USA. I have been a sidecarist since 1980 and have owned 5 outfits over the years. The only rig I have right now is the one my wife and I took our honeymoon on many years (decades?) ago. I knew I had a keeper when she loved every minute of the trip and was sad it came to an end after 2000 miles on a Yamaha XS650D/Velorex 562 rig.

The outfit has been in storage for a number of years, but my wife, Debbie, recently asked me to get it out of storage and back on the road. My plan is to make it right this time. I will add a big fin big bore kit to punch it up to 750cc, and an overdrive 5th gear with the idea of using final gearing to drop 5th back to stock with 1st through 4th lower.

I am going to use car wheels and tires and machine new hubs to fit up to bike. I ordered a chrome '65 VW Beetle wheel and a 135R15 tire which I will use to fabricate the hubs. The front end will be converted to a leading link with adjustable trail and I plan to have some sort of toe-in adjustment which can either be adjusted on the fly or possible even linked to the bike's steering.

Hence my interest in this forum. While the XS650 (even punched up to 750) may not lend itself to "high performance" in the strictest sense, this bike has sentimental value to my wife (and truth be known, to me also), so it is my project Smile

My favorite outfit was a Honda 900 Custom (with a Motorvation Spyder chair) with duel range transmission giving me adequate power and 10 speeds to choose from. If I were to select a bike for this project the 900 Custom would be it, but unfortunately that machine was sold several years back.

Today I am bringing the XS650D out of storage and putting it in my little single car garage/shop where it will be the main occupant for the next year or so. I am really looking forward to reading all the posts and getting good advise from you guys (and perhaps even contributing something of value).

Regards,

Nelson
Gazza

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate and welcome to the forum, very interesting project you have there, good luck mate
docmike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Nelson

Good luck with the project and post some pictures as you go along.

Mike
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
ngthomas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Pictures Reply with quote

Howdy Mike,

I will try to be diligent in taking pictures as I go. I have in fact already been taking pictures of the bike (the Velorex is still in storage) to show the "before" condition.

As I complete design work on parts such as the hubs, front end and triple trees etc I will try to post the CAD files also.

This weekend I am building a stand to hold the bike frame at the correct 'wheels down' height so I can start disassembling and sorting through what I need to do.

It has been too long since I have had a motorcycle project to work on so I am relly getting pumped over this Smile

Regards,

Nelson
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Nelson, sorry a bit late with the welcome, hope you enjoy it on here.
Looking forward to hear your progress on your poject.

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: