An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

width effects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: width effects Reply with quote

Okay here the idea,

If I move the sidecar 6" closer to the bike, would it effect the handling or balance ?

Keith
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

Hummmm ... a very interesting question mate.

Off the top of my head I would say 'Yes' .. the rig will not feel the same.

However ... I guess a few us us would need to ask you .. Why and then How would you move the chair Confused

It seems that your Merlin Body and Central Section have an 'all in one' look to them. (but I think they might be two joined up parts really?)

Also .. are we talking about moving Just the bodywork .. or the Sidecar Wheel as well .. any narrowing of the Rigs 'track' width will definately make some differences .. but these may not be All les desireable?

Tell us a bit more about your thinking here Our Kid .. it's a bit diffcult to see where you are coming from .. or going to with this Confused .

Of course .. it might be that you just need to drop a cog, Slow Down a bit and take the Left Handers about 6" wider Laughing Or find a wider gate?

Looking Forward to more on this one!!

Stay Safe Wink Trev
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Trev,

Your jumpnig too far ahead.
The sidecar is joined like most other sidecars to the bike on front & rear brackets.
I've no problems with any of the handling or anything else.

It's simple I've a large garage at the back of the garden and a 6 foot wide drive, the sidecar is 6 foot 6 inches.
I want the sidecar in the garage over winter, I've been waiting over 12 months for my neighbour to take down the dividing fence.

Keith
bitontheside

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your handling would not be the same, not as stable. Plus you would probably need new fitting and almost certainly a new joiner fairing. Move the house or accidentally knock the fence down! It'll be cheaper! My outfit is 6 foot 10 inch wide!
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Harrrrrr ... I see.

OK .. this problem is no big deal .. Cool

Strong Rope, Fence Posts, Tow Ball, Bottom Gear and bloke next door out for the day ... job done! Rolling Eyes

Seriously ..If it's His fence (we might need to explain that to the American Members?) it might be an idea to offer to help him ... physically and financially if you have not done so already and agree that the whole job needs to be 100% 'Made Good' once the fence is gone.

I'm really glad you are not going to cut your rig up! Laughing

Trev
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so easy
I actually get on with him, problem is he's a builder so all his stuff like planks, ladders, cement mixed are at the other side of the fence.
As you'll know builder's say one time and mean another for doing things, if knew somewhere he could store his gear, it'd be sorted by the end of the week.

If I'd have thought it out before hand I should have seen if Merlin could have narrowed the rig before they built it.

Keith
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitontheside wrote:
Your handling would not be the same, not as stable.

Is that really true? A narrower outfit would have less "sidecar effect" - so getting the rig to go where you want would be easier. So, better corner entry/exit speed. Better top speed, too, from a smaller outfit.

But to get the rig down the drive you'd need to cut 10 inches or so out of it - that's a lot. Is there that much clearance between the sidecar and bike right now?
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big difference between the body and chassis.

Keith
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

As I've seen Keith & Anne's Merlin Outfit up close, I think I can confidently say he has little or no chance ever of cutting anything out of it, even if he wanted to do so Confused .

I hope they will not mind me telling you that their Merlin / Tiumph outfit is a Very Special Rig. It has built in whelchair storage and a fold away electric crain that lifts Anne in and out of the sidecar, as well as the Fancy Go Faster Paint job, Indeed these two are rather Special People Very Happy .

Now that we all know about Bob the Builder next door .. I'm not sure what to sugest next .. funny bugers them builders. I'm sure Keith will find a way to 'resolve this situation' .. before we all turn up and give Bob a good kicking!
Laughing Twisted Evil

Onwards people .. ever onwards Wink Trev
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier to build a new garage.
Probable cheaper too.
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Bob,
The answer to that is very long and complicated the resons why we can not put a portable garage at the front.
So lets just say Council building regulations for putting buildings at the front of your property inflexble, breaking them could result in a fine & the garage torn down.

If I didn't secure it to the ground no problems (not permanent) problem there in this day and age it would be a gamble, whether it would still be there in the morning.
Either stolen or blown away.

Well at least I've found that one option (width) is a no go.

Keith
storch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: rigwidth Reply with quote

My garagedoor has a width of 6 feet and the(long0 approach to it is
restricted to about 6'6".So my sidecar rigs can only be 5'10" wide,including handlebars,mrrors etc.I built a sidecar for an FJ 1100,
cocentrating weight low and out:a relatively heavy frame and suspension
and a lightweight aramid honeycomb body.Battery and tools far right and low.The rig was not very prone to lift sidecar.-I am just attaching an
old Motorvation Formula to a K 1100.It is much harder to limit width.I actually had to narrow the sidecar body by about 4 inches.
Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: