An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bandit/Bandito Rear Wheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Brownie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Bandit/Bandito Rear Wheel Reply with quote

I got the tire off,sprockets and chain today. My first of several questions is the sprocket adapter does not seem to be central to the wheel? If I loosen the lug nuts will the rubber cush drive re-center it self? Then what is the torque on the lug nuts, the sprocket and is the axle the same as suzuki? Before I took it apart the chain had a tight spot then real loose as I spun the rear tire. I thought it was a bad chain Missing o-rings loose rollers lots of noise? should I look at any thing else? I also do not know what to run for air pressure in the tires? It had 14 psi when I got it put 30 in seems a little hard on the bumps. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated Thanks Darryl
2001 R1150 GS
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bandit/Bandito Rear Wheel Reply with quote

Quote:

the sprocket adapter does not seem to be central to the wheel? If I loosen the lug nuts will the rubber cush drive re-center it self?

The sprocket adapter was designed to be centered by the rear wheel hub not the bolts so I don't understand how it could not be centered. Maybe you could post a picture?

Quote:
is the axle the same as suzuki?

yes

Quote:
I also do not know what to run for air pressure in the tires? It had 14 psi when I got it put 30 in seems a little hard on the bumps. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated Thanks Darry

Most of us run in the 20lb all around range. 30 is too high. You won't get the best grip at that pressure and it WILL ride hard. Dar has more miles and experience with the Bandit HPS than anyone Hopfully he'll weigh in on what he uses for tire pressure. Unlike some of us, his has never been on a trailer!Laughing

Dar?

will August ever come............
Old Brownie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bandit/Bandito Rear Wheel Reply with quote

Quote:
The sprocket adapter was designed to be centered by the rear wheel hub not the bolts so I don't understand how it could not be centered. Maybe you could post a picture?

I went back out last night and took it apart to clean, that is when i realized that it could not be off center. The rim had a lot chain grease on it and some was pushed to one side of the adapter which made it look off center.

I still don't know what to torque the lug/bolts that hold the sprocket adapter to the custom hub?

Thanks Darryl
2001 R1150 GS
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bandit/Bandito Rear Wheel Reply with quote

Old Brownie wrote:
Quote:

I went back out last night and took it apart to clean, that is when i realized that it could not be off center. The rim had a lot chain grease on it and some was pushed to one side of the adapter which made it look off center.

I still don't know what to torque the lug/bolts that hold the sprocket adapter to the custom hub?

Thanks Darryl

My best guess is about 75 foot pounds. I rarely use a torque wrench so I don't know the exact # it would have been tighten to. The bolts are a 1/2-20 grade 8. According to this chart, in theory you could tighten them to 126 foot pounds but I'm sure that's if you were screwing it into steel. In this case it's aluminum so you would never go that tight in the rear hub.

http://www.raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

Hope that helps.

How about joining us next weekend at Summit Point WV to watch sidecar racing Question

Bill

will August ever come............
Dar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bandit/Bandito Rear Wheel Reply with quote

zentime wrote:

Most of us run in the 20lb all around range. 30 is too high. You won't get the best grip at that pressure and it WILL ride hard. Dar has more miles and experience with the Bandit HPS than anyone Hopfully he'll weigh in on what he uses for tire pressure. Unlike some of us, his has never been on a trailer!Laughing

Dar?

Since my "expertise" (??) Laughing Laughing has been called upon, I guess I'll have to respond:

When I picked up the Bandito from Dave Hannigan, he told me to use about 23-24 psi in all the tires, so I've tried to keep it right about there. Have not really experimented with higher or lower pressures to know if this is really the optimum, but it seems to be working OK for the riding I do: mainly commuting and touring (about 32k miles since I got the rig 5 years ago). Well, 8-10 psi in the rear tire due to a nail puncture DOES feel really bad. Not really much "high performance" riding though except for the few days at Maggie Valley in June. When riding in the twisties around MV, I'm usually at the back of the pack, slowest of the riders there, but I can't really say that it's because of lack of confidence in traction, it's just that those guys (all of 'em) go a lot faster than I'm comfortable keeping up with.

(These comments are based on the experiences of an untrained non-professional on the open road. Do not try this on your own. Past results are no guarantee of future performance. Disclaimer, disclaimer,etc, etc.)
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
Old Brownie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every thing is all back together and working fine! I took the bike out Saturday night for a test run. The new chain and sprockets were nice and quiet. I put 24 lbs in the tires and it rode better!! Emily has plans for next weekend so Summit Point WV is out Thanks for the invite! Let me know about any future rides. Thanks for all your help Darryl Very Happy
2001 R1150 GS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: