An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oiling system mods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cudgel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Oiling system mods Reply with quote

I've not seen a discussion of mods to the tug's oiling system on the three pages I see in this section. Has no one here had problems running a wet sump bike hard through turns in an upright position. Bikes lean so oil stays where it belongs. On an HPS it seems trouble might arise with enough lateral G's. Anyone?
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I used to have an issue with that on the FJ1200 I had. Turning aggressively in one direction the oil light would come on briefly but not in the other. I never did find out exactly why that was but I always assumed it had something to do with the location of the oil pickup tube or the shape of the casting in the sump. Maybe Roger or Ralph would know?

I've never had the oil light come on with my XX or the Kawasaki. Have you had this problem with your XX? Anybody else?

will August ever come............
cudgel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've not had a problem but this question always lurks. If these engines are used in race cars I suppose some mods are done but don't know for sure. I believe the XX engine is, or was, used in the U.K. in car racing. Anyone know the details?
On the cbrxx.org forum is a guy (Stan) who builds XX quads and had short engine life before modifying the oiling on that motor. Of course a quad off road does things other vehicles don't.
FJ motors are used in Legends cars aren't they? Know what prep is done on those?
Does anyone know if F1 sidecars do this?
arbalest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: your rig Reply with quote

Cudgel,

How is your rig running? Did you have to do any fine tuning to the front suspension geometry other than the increase in caster?

Mike Lydon
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zentime wrote:
Good question. I used to have an issue with that on the FJ1200 I had. Turning aggressively in one direction the oil light would come on briefly but not in the other.

The oil light comes on occasionally on a *solo* FJ1100/FJ1200 also - at least, it did if you rode, shall we say, "aggressively". I think that the Yamaha light is just more sensitive than most. (It was an oil *level* light, not an oil pressure light - so it came on well before the engine was in any danger).

On a sidecar on the street, I doubt you go through enough corners to cause any damage. If you took your rig onto a car oval track - constant repeated left hand corners - you might run into trouble, but few people do that.

The drag race guys have solutions for this - more complicated, repositioned oil pickups, and deeper oil sumps. They probably have kits for most of the HPS motors - e.g. http://www.muzzys.com/ZX14/ZX14_Oil_Pan/index.html
cudgel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rig is running fine although still under construction (bodywork in aluminum). Have made no changes to steering or suspension. It has VERY tight suspension, racecar style. Not real comfortable but my longest ride has been only 180 miles round trip. If I had long travel in front it might bump steer but don't know for sure. I have nothing to compare it to, I just ride it and grin. I'm the adjustable part of this rig. Only been about 100mph so far but it gets more stable with more speed. Wouldn't be afraid of 120 at all, although the expense of the fine and jail keeps me slowed down.
zentime

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
I think that the Yamaha light is just more sensitive than most. (It was an oil *level* light, not an oil pressure light - so it came on well before the engine was in any danger).

Yeah, I forgot about that. I was talking with Roger and he said the same thing. I guess if you really had a problem in that area you could go the Muzzy route. I wonder if any of the F1 sidecar guys here have to do anything about it. That would be the extreem case for sidecars.

cudgel, any pictures of the bodywork?

cudgel

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can put them on the xx forum but can't upload to this one. Want to bring them here?
zentime

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cudgel wrote:
I can put them on the xx forum but can't upload to this one. Want to bring them here?

Just sent you an email on how to post them

cudgel

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures in photo section. Thanks, Zen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: