An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laverda sidecar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Laverda sidecar Reply with quote

Pretty cool handbuilt Laverda sidecar:

Full story and more pics at http://breganzane.com/blog/snfl.php
Hooky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, what a work of art, this is one talented and patient guy. Worship

Hooky.
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I like it but I'm not sure I'd buy it.
I would like to see the front wheel more encased, like the racing sidecars. Likewise the sidecar is really more like a car especially the modern version which uses a car door.

But 9 out of 10 for style,
10 out of 10 for machnical skills

Keith
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's going more for the car look. I like the way that both bike wheels are exposed and identical - no sign at all of any chain. The Laverda is one of the very few bikes you could do that on (the chain drive is on the right side of the bike).

And the three exhaust cans is a nice touch!
Dar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
... I like the way that both bike wheels are exposed and identical - no sign at all of any chain. The Laverda is one of the very few bikes you could do that on (the chain drive is on the right side of the bike).

Of course, that wouldn't apply where Sidecarkeith or Hooky come from - you'd have to use a bike with the chain that you're trying to hide on the left side of the bike.

But for the right side mounted sidecars, if you're trying to hide the drivetrain, there are plenty of right side driveshaft bikes that pull sidecars around. (well, I guess there isn't a chain there to hide anyway Big Grin )

But what's the appeal of hiding what makes it work? Might as well get a scooter or a Pacific Coast. (Or even a ZX14 or Connie, for that matter. Or any of a slew of other bikes where all you can see is plastic covering up the works.)

I can appreciate the time and effort and workmanship that went into building this creation, but ...WHY? Personally, it doesn't do a thing for me. At the risk of sounding like a typical (2 wheel) biker talking about sidecars in general, I have to say "What a waste of a perfectly good Laverda."

But, on the other hand, I also realize that if everybody in the world shared my esthetic sensibilities, I would probably get pretty bored looking at the same stuff all the time.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: