An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I met a Polar Bear today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: I met a Polar Bear today Reply with quote

Yes our very own member Polar Bear.

He'd just picked up his new outfit and was about 20 miles away having a plush comfy seat made, and as it happens it was by a friend of mine.
So I popped over and found not only him and his rig but a couple of old BMW's sitting there too.
Polar Bear and Anne.

new wheels and suspension

The BMW's

There yu go so many sidecar and it's not a rally Laughing

Keith
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty cool! thanks for posting the pictures. Big Grin

You're quite distinguished looking Poke Smile

will August ever come............
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Being in the middle of moving the muffler on my new C14 project from the right side to the left side and looking at these fine sidecars on the "wrong" side, that lefties mostly don't have that problem when you have only one muffler...........

where the hell is everybody Question Question T.G.I.F.

will August ever come............
Hooky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking outfit Polar Bear's got himself, Cool thanks for the photos Keith. You guys sure have large rego plates over there.
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we had the front plates taken off, because the law says we may injure someone if we hit them head on.
The law now states the plates on the back have to be that size legally.

I suppose having grown up with that size plate it's never bothered me, but your right they are big. Big Grin

Keith
Dar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidecarkeith wrote:
Since we had the front plates taken off, because the law says we may injure someone if we hit them head on.

is this the type of front plate you are refering to that you don't have any longer?

Well I understand how the law is thinking on that one...it is certainly much more humane to just smush somebody with the whole front of the bike, than to also slice them open with that dangerous upright plate on the front fender. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Yes, it is a nice looking rig, Polar Bear. What does it say across the front of the sidecar? "Spanish something" I can't quite make out the second word from the picture.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dar
Quite correct thats the thing we had on the front until the late 70's, mind you I always thought a little castration was better than being flattened Laughing

Polar Bear is still making his way back to Spain, (so all you adventurers who think Spain to England can be done in two weeks take note), anyway it says "Spannish Dancer".

Why he chose that you'll have to ask him when he gets back on the forum.

Keith
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know front plates aren't required any more, but can you fit one if you want to? Or are they illegal?

They probably look silly on a Fireblade, but look very nice on a classic old bike - it would be a shame to have to remove one that had been on your bike for 30+ years.
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry been checking it out, so I give you the right info.

If like the bike you posted is a vintage/classic and is restored back too it's original standard, then you can have a front number plate.
If it was a black & white one you can have black & white also.
So anything up to 1973 can put plates on that was on the original.
Anything else as too have yellow & black plates on only at the rear.

Keith
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: The Spanish Dancer Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Trev the Polar Bear here .. Im still in the UK .. I have done my tour of Holland, Scotland and England and I'm booked onto the ferry from Plymouyh to Santander (Northern Spain) this afternoon, sailing at 1600.

It has been a long tourn, I've covered quite a few merry miles and visited a lot of old friends. The weather girl has been on my side most of the time, only had one really wet day.

Meeting up with Keith and Anne was a real delight .. it makes you feel quite humble to see such strenghth of mind and physical determinatuion to 'live it every day'. The built in crain on their outfit is used to lift Anne out of the sidecar and into her wheelchairn and they have the 'routine' worked out to a fine art.

I have been staying with an old Diving Buddy of mine (and his lovely lady) in Brixham for the past week or so .. basically so that we could all attend the giant Annual Bike Festival in Paignton. Three days of Bikes, Bikes and more Bikes .. along a mile and a half of the towns sea front.

On the Sunday they had over 30.000 people looking over more than 5.000 Bikes lined up for inspection, all kinds of everything on two or three wheels. I am delighted to report that the Spanish Dancer won the public vote for the 'Best Bike' award in the Three Wheels class .. Certificate. Small Trophy Shield and a very nice cheque for £250 (about $500) ..
A really big hit for Modern HP Sidecars I think!

After a long night at sea the ferry will dock in Santander and I'll just have the final 'single hop' to do .. over the mountains and then straight down the middle of Spain for about 565 miles and I will be back home in Denia on the Mediterannian coast .. should arrive in thr early hours of Tuesday.

Many Thanks for the very nice comments about the new rig guys .. I'm looking forward to more more European Adventures and Ride-Outs with it.

Catch you all at the lights, Stay Safe Wink Trev The Polar Bear
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev
Hope you got back safely, take a siesta, you deseve it.
Glad to here you won 1st prize.
It maybe worth us going down there, well being a Yorkshireman I'll go anywhere for a prize especially when money is included Laughing

It was great to see you too, maybe we can meet up again.
It's a pity you didn't have time to go to our local biker cafe, which by the way was the opposite way to Manchester.

Keith
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Hello Again Keith,

Now back in Sunny Spain .. after an extra week rolling around in Devon.

After a good (calm seas) overnight ferry crossing from Plymouth to Santander, I rolled down the plank at 1300 and set off south with about 200 other Bikers .. it's the holiday season here again. Me being on the only Sidecar Rig I soon left them all behind Wink in the Northern Mountains and by the time I reached the flat central area around Logrono it was just me and the Buzzards.

I rode through a few light rain showers .. they type that don't feel quite so light at 80mph .. and did rolling pit stops for fuel and calls of nature.
The secret of long haul rides is to keep going .. make just short stops and eat no big meals!

Annie heard me from about a mile away and within seconds I slid to a holt outside our gate .. the trip was reading 575.2 Miles and it was 2359.
So the run had taken me a total of 11 hours all in .. average speed 52.29 mph.

The Dancer bowls along really nicely at high speeds on the straight bits ... but take a bit more 'physical input' on the twisty bits. It's not really very happy on rough tracks or pot-holed roads .. but we manage.

All in a good trip covering much of Holland, bits of Scotland and most of England .. I have no idea about the total cost .. but it's only money.

Feels good to be home .. nothing like sleeping in your own bed .. well .. not at my age Rolling Eyes

I have a few 'happy snaps' in the camera ... I really must work out this photo posting thing.

Catch you at the Lights .. Stay Safe. Trev. The Polar Bear
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

575.2 miles and you've gone t bed, must have been the last .2 that took it out of you Laughing Laughing
I didn't realise European touring was so popular, no wonder most insurance companies do the European cover as standard.

Well lets see what the locals think of you new purchase.

If you have trouble with the picture downloading, just e-mail me and I'll get them up on the forum for you.

Blad you arrived safely,

Keith Cool
Hooky

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Polar Bear, sounds like a successful maiden voyage on the "Spanish Dancer", congratulations on your trophy win along the way Wink . What size is your front tyre?, looks wide, well it looks great, nice outfit Polar Bear.
Hooky.
Polar Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hooky and G'day Sport, Hello There to Everyone Smile

Thanks for the nice remarks about the Spanish Dancer rig guys .. it was a long time in the making .. but I am well pleased with the results so far.

All three Wheels and Tyres are the same size as per my order .. EZS own brand 15" Alloys made in their workshop with 195/45 Toyo Tyres.

I am aware that having so much rubber on the deck requires a little extra care in the wet .. the rig will easily lift off and float like a boat. The steering can also feel very 'iratic' on rough tracks or bad surface roads.

I just wanted it like this .. it looks really good and I can ride it well enough, even with my duff left arm Smile .

The Honda Brakes have been 'Crafted' back on to fit the Bike Wheels and Dutch Dave at EZS even managed to fit the Honda ABS system back on so that it operates on all three wheels.

The motor is a Fuel Injection straight in-line four .. so it is very quick and
ultra 'responsive' to any right hand throttle action. It really does need a nice 'roll it on roll it off' kind of thinking Shocked .

Stay Safe Wink Trev The Polar Bear
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: