An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got an offer I couldn't refuse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Got an offer I couldn't refuse Reply with quote

It was a sad day today I lost a long love of my garage today.
A nice man came along I took my 1962 Triton away Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

But he did give me some cash and this young beauty.

Keith Big Grin
zentime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not fair WHAAAAA WHAAAAA WHAAAAA WHAAAAA I don't much care for boats and planes but I think I would have rowed a canoe or flown across the pond to pick up that beauty!! Bet there's a story behind that!

Hold on, get it back!! I'm on my way over to pick it up. I should be in your area in about a month. Laughing

will August ever come............
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well here some pic's and a quick tale of the Triton.
I owned the Triton since 1980 some 29 years but it's only done around 2,000 miles since I rebuilt it.
It as a Thunderbird gearbox and bottom end dated around 1961, and a Thuxton racing clutch. Whilst the top end is a 9 stud Bonnie with racing pistons and stronger valve springs.
The Frame is a 1964 slimline Featherbed.
Even though the top end speed as gone and to be fair it would never achieve the speeds of the modern bikes, the handling is still as good as any modern bike.
As many bikers have found out once I caught them on the country lanes
I simply dare not leave it outside a shop so everyday use got less and less, I only went on it on our classic bike club ride outs and shows.
The Bonnie T140E is only 1980 with 2,240 genuine miles on so I'll be able to use it everyday.
It appears it's original owner bought 2 identical bikes and stored them in plastic vac bags in a wharehouse. He died 2007 and the wharehouse sold them to my friend, who then got it going and swapped me for the Triton.

Yes that's the wife objecting to the bike being in the living room, well it looked cold outside
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely gorgeous Big Grin Thanks for the details.

I used to have a 61 TR6. I remember when the white 63 Boneville came out I thought it was one of the most beautiful bikes of the time. Still a great looking bike today. I have a stack of old British bike magazines that I used to drool over all the time. Good stuff back then Smile

You don't haven to have any other gems like that in your garage???

will August ever come............
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link for a newspaper that lives in the past, I get it every month.
You can it it online and I believe the deliver to the States, or you can go on the online subscription and read it in your lunch break.

http://www.oldbikemart.co.uk/

Well I get the Steelers Digest delivered comes about 3 weeks late.

At the moment I have about half a dozen boxes of various sizes with a Royal Enfield 350cc in, but it's short of tank, seat, frame and wheels.
That a friend gave me when he emptied his loft.

Keith
Hooky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,
just been looking at the photos of your old Triton,I have never been a real fan of old Brittish bikes but that is a great looking motorcycle. I would clear a spot for that in my shed any day, must have been a sad day for you Crying or Very sad . The replacement is nice looking just the same Wink .

Hooky.
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooky
Yes it was sad but alas old age and creeky joints don't bring the best out of a cafe racer, it really was getting hard to ride it any distance.
(My older Brother had one amd I bought this to remind me of the times I had with him), now was the time to get on with the future.
I can remember the past without keeping myself in it, if that makes sense. Confused
At least with the new one I can ride it, even if I have trouble kick starting it.
What no electric start Laughing

I just got back from a 50 mile ride round the lanes and we got to know each other.
I can understand why women loved old British bikes, the vibration that goes through your legs at 60mph is amazing Laughing

Keith Cool
Hooky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,
I agree an upright sitting position is more comfortable, I have a friend bought a new Ducati 1000 Sport (I think) , a cafe racer type bike and he's ended up buying a different top triple clamp and a conventional type handlebar instead of the clip-ons which is much more comfortable but it's lost a bit of it's cafe racer look.
Sounds like your Bonnieville is similar to my Buell (the vibration), I call it character and I love it.
Do you know what your annual rainfall is there, ours is about 29", you don't have to go far south (40 miles) of here to be almost double, thats down the Otways near The Great Ocean Road.
Hooky. Thinking
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainfall !
All I know is it was terrable last year never seemed to stop, I think summer was cancelled in 08.
We live on top of a hill so water runs away but just a few miles away the place was flooded with about 4 foot of water.
Anywhere near rivers or low land was deadly for floods all over the country.
I'm hoping this year will be better and so far we seem to be doing well.

You may have chatter but I've got vibrations, lovely ones coming from the engine beat.
It doesn't effect the handling in any way or spoil the enjoyment of the ride.
Sorry it's I should have explained it's a local thing.
In my youth pre sexual encounters, it was a standing joke that had some foundings.
Girls used to pick guys with Triumphs over other makes of bike, my elders used to say it was the vibrations.
Which alas went over my head.

Since this is a family sight I'll go no further with what they were talking about.

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: