An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Wheel Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hcbilini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Rear Wheel Question Reply with quote

Hello All,
I am new to this forum but not to sidecars. My next rig will be a HPS ( currently I'm saving my pennies to buy one...)

I have a question concerning the rear wheel that you all run with autmotive tires on it. I have looked hi and low in US to find a shop that sells them - but cannot come up with anything on the web.

Where do you guys source them in the USA? Does anybody on this forum have contacts in the US that sells them?

THank you in advance.

Hank
Dar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hank,
Welcome to the forum.
I don't know about the wheels on the European rigs, but the Hannigan HPS rigs actually use car wheels; Honda Civic wheels on my 1st generation Suzuki Bandito, I think Mini Cooper wheels on some of the newer iterations. BUT, the missing piece you would need to find or get made is the hub to bolt the wheel, sprocket, cush drive, etc, to. They are designed and machined specifically to fit each of the bikes that Hannigan has turned into HPS's. I don't know about the possibility of getting that piece by itself, IF you happen to have one of the bikes that Hannigan has had them made for, but maybe Dave Hannigan could help you out. There's a link to his website on the Forum Links page.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
docmike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank,

Welcome,

It depends on what bike you have, there are a few people around that will make adapters to mount car wheels on BMW's and Gold Wings and probably some others.

I got the one for my BMW K1100RS from C Stanley motorworks.

Seems like Bill had someone, I forget who, weld a car rim onto a Honda Blackbird hub, so there's stuff out there, it just takes some digging.

Mike
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hank,
Kosman Specialties has been modifying motorcycle wheels to except car tires for over 30 years.
For drag bikes.
Cuts the beads off of the motorcycle wheel and welds on beads from an automotive wheel.
Top notch job too.
http://www.kosman.net/

Here is a picture of my rear wheel.
http://www.yankee-engineering.com/WebAlbums/1999BlackbirdFabrication/images/P3040017.html
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
hcbilini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,
Thanks for the updates........

If my understanding is correct, most of the rear wheel rims the hps guys on this forum run is custom made? By custom made I mean, taking an automotive rim and welding additional aluminum and custom machining to fit the bike. If that's the case, then that would be some serious $$$$...

Bandit Bill imported his rim from Charnwood in the UK for his Suzuki. His website says it needed no mods and fit perfectly. In Europe these auto rims seems to be on every rig. I assumed that if it was available in Europe- that we can get them here in the US.

I did call the Hannigan folks last week and the sales guy advised they do not sell individual rims and they will only sell the complete HPS kit. And their response is what prompted me to join your group and see what your recommendations are......

And the Kosman mod might just be ticket as a low cost solution for my future project.

Thanks

Hank
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hcbilini wrote:
Hello All,
Thanks for the updates........

If my understanding is correct, most of the rear wheel rims the hps guys on this forum run is custom made? By custom made I mean, taking an automotive rim and welding additional aluminum and custom machining to fit the bike. If that's the case, then that would be some serious $$$$...

Bandit Bill imported his rim from Charnwood in the UK for his Suzuki. His website says it needed no mods and fit perfectly. In Europe these auto rims seems to be on every rig. I assumed that if it was available in Europe- that we can get them here in the US.

I did call the Hannigan folks last week and the sales guy advised they do not sell individual rims and they will only sell the complete HPS kit. And their response is what prompted me to join your group and see what your recommendations are......

And the Kosman mod might just be ticket as a low cost solution for my future project.

Thanks

Hank

Hi Hank:

Well, thats sort of accurate, and inaccurate all at the same time - the front rim assembly that i got from Charnwood (I believe they are EZS parts and Charnwood is a reseller) was designed specifically with the Suzuki Hayabusa in mind as a complete front end - the Bandit braking components are somewhat different but share the same rotor bolt pattern between the two of them. The front wheel and fender was all that i could afford of the total front end. It needed a total front end 'mod' built up around it, to fit it at all Laughing

I've had experience with two rear rims. The first was a Harry Tarzian adapted suzuki hub/centerline composite welded rim assembly. Unfortunately the GSXR600 bearing seats in the hub were not up to the task of my Bandit's ~130 rwhp, increased rear wheel weight rotational stresses, or my squidly abuse. I've got presently a Hannigan style rear wheel setup, put together by a machinist from whom i was able to pull a really big favor from.

Whichever way you go about it with automotive adaptations, it isn't cheap.

If i was to go about it all over again, i think i'd be looking at the smart car components for adapting.. lighter weight being one of the benefits of this for the components. A lot of European rigs utilize parts from these now.
hcbilini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks for your follw up....yes indeed it was the front wheel that was from Charnwood from your website.

Hank
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hcbilini wrote:
Hello All,
for my future project.
Hank

mind sharing what your future project is Question
Smile

will August ever come............
hcbilini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
My next project will be based on a Hayabusa or Bandit 1200 tug with LL forks, auto tires/rims pulling a Hannigan chair with a custom made sway bar. (banditbill I am not copying you Argue)

Unfortunately, that's the best I can afford right now. The CHS steering looks sweet and I'm sure handles like a champ, but maybe the next project.......
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hcbilini wrote:
Hello,
My next project will be based on a Hayabusa or Bandit 1200 tug with LL forks, auto tires/rims pulling a Hannigan chair with a custom made sway bar. (banditbill I am not copying you Argue)

Unfortunately, that's the best I can afford right now. The CHS steering looks sweet and I'm sure handles like a champ, but maybe the next project.......

Copy away! I dare you to reproduce it! Laughing
moses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: hi all Reply with quote

after 18 months of inactivity caused by moving house i started on my hps again and have fitted rear wheel which is 195x 15 x65 stock ford xr3i wheel, all the hub components are machined and fitted etc and it looks a treat, i increased standard shaft size from 20mm hollow shaft to 25mm solid(over engineering)
i have utilised the standard ford vented disc and my next job is to fit the caliper assembly which im using a 4 pot triumph job i have lay about, how this will work with standard master cylinder is yet to be found out.
next on the list is a new reinforced cradle to take chs front end i will get my camera out and start putting some pictures on here.
thanks for lots of inspiration guys
anthony
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry can not really, wrong rig wrong country, help except wish you the best building the new outfit.
Oh and welcome back to the insane world of sidecars Very Happy

Keith
moses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: hi again Reply with quote

if anyones interested look at my photos on www.myspace.com/mosesgould
i will start machining calipers brackets in two weeks hopefully, and im also blessed with a motor racing team being on my factory estate which is good for scrounging parts to try and ideas etc.
i have already started machining the front end shafts,sidecar wheel shafts and have borrowed loads of ideas off this site so if you see something similar to your own rig please dont take offense.
im planning on running exhaust sytem out to a race can exiting behind sidecar wheel,swaybar is a definate and chs hopefully.
if you see anything you dont like i dont mind being pulled up about it so any comments welcome. i know the rigs on the wrong side but the way i ride you never know what side of the road your on.
anthony
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moses nice outfit and British racing green, that was my second choice of colour.
Maybe a couple of white racing stripes will make it go faster Very Happy

You got rid of that T140, bet you hand to count your fingers incase you lost any when they snatch your hand off.

Keith
moses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

yes but i had not much choice really at the time with 3 growing kids all wanting foreign holidays with the school, my hobbies always come after the kids?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: