An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DJ Sport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docmike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: DJ Sport Reply with quote

I really like the looks of the DJ Sport rig in the top picture.

Not sure I like how far forward the front wheel has been moved, seems a lot of the European rigs are like that. Is it for high speed stability or just an accident of the front end fabrication?

Also, I've wondered about the tradeoffs between the push / pull steering set up and the tiller bar as used on the Hannigan rigs. The push pull is much more cluttered looking, but would it reduce steering lock as much as a tiller? Using a tiller with the front wheel out that far would probably really reduce steering lock. Question

Also, do you really need two push / pull bars?

I know I should be thinking these thoughts,,,,,it goes against step two of my twelve step program. Step one is admitting I have a perfectly good sidecar rig and I need to leave it alone.
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they do it because it is easier and probably has universal components that fit other motorcycles.
It is not easy getting everything between the motorcycle and the front wheel while keeping the stock appearance on the wheel base.
The push / pull steering, it is easier to get more steering by changing the attachment points of the arms.
The tiller or steering arm that is found on the Hannigan HPS is again more difficult, fitting behind the wheel.
Getting enough steering, this depends on the steering locks of the motorcycle, Hannigan has addressed this issue on the ZX14 / Concours.
The Hannigan Rigs with HPS, the Bandito, the BMW and now the ZX14/ Concours were designed specifically for each bike and would not fit anything else.
I have driven all of them, and if memory serves, the BMW had the longest wheel base, and to me was more of a long distance machine.
Not that you couldn't ride any of them long distance (Dar sure can.).
The BMW felt almost Limo like.
But not sure if that was because of the motorcycle of because of the wheel base.

That's just my opinion, not sure why it is actually done that way.
Question
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
Ralph

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the front end stuff does not look as good as the front end you guys make. The top of that front end looks like something I use to make with my erecter set. It may work great but it looks like crap. I would 10 to 1 want one of you alls set ups. But That is a great looking body.

But what the hell do I know
Smile

Last edited by Ralph on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Dar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the DJ sport is a very nice looking rig. Not sure if I would put the bike it's mated to in the same category, but a lot of bikes do look like that these days. Maybe I'm just getting old. No, it's not just that, because I do like that other new trend in styling - I think it's called the "retro" look. Big Grin Big Grin

bmcsheehy wrote:
I think they do it because it is easier and probably has universal components that fit other motorcycles. .....The Hannigan Rigs with HPS, the Bandito, the BMW and now the ZX14/ Concours were designed specifically for each bike and would not fit anything else.

Now there's an idea for the next step in the evolution of American HPS - some more readily available parts that could be a little more easily adapted to a variety of machines, rather than only what somebody else decides will be this years HPS of the year. Some of us with more "exotic" (weird?) taste in machinery, zero skills to build it ourselves, and too cheap to go to Europe looking for it could appreciate that. Not that I don't like my Bandito, but I've got this Moto Guzzi...
bmcsheehy wrote:

I have driven all of them, and if memory serves, the BMW had the longest wheel base, and to me was more of a long distance machine.
Not that you couldn't ride any of them long distance (Dar sure can.).
The BMW felt almost Limo like.
But not sure if that was because of the motorcycle of because of the wheel base.

I would suspect that if you rode the above mentioned machines as unmodified two wheelers, you would probably come to the same conclusion - the BMW feels like a limo, capable of comfortable long distances. Maybe the Connie too, I have not ridden one of them myself. The biggest factors for long distance comfort are a comfortable seat, and ergonomics that fit you - a seat-handlebar-footpeg relationship that still feels right after a couple of 500 mile days. And an inch of callus on the butt helps too. Laughing Laughing Certainly a rig that's properly set up, a suspension that doesn't beat you up too much, steering that's light enough to not be too much work without being too twitchy, good and predictable handling, all contribute too.

So saith (one of) the resident long distance expert(s).
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
zentime

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have an idea on the DJ what that vertical bar is between the sidecar and bike Question
You can see the top of it at about the middle of the seat.

will August ever come............
Ralph

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to adjust the ride height of the car me thinks Very Happy

or ejection lever. Laughing

or Emergency brake. Surprised

or something to strap your self to. Confused
les marluches

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zentime wrote:
Anyone have an idea on the DJ what that vertical bar is between the sidecar and bike Question
You can see the top of it at about the middle of the seat.

the pilot must be handicapped and it is to fix its wheel chair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: