An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

maybe a dumb question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moike the Squid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zentime wrote:

I have a few other questions. I’m curious about steering effort and straight line stability on your F1 rig? When ever I see video of the F1 rigs, they often seem to be set up pretty “loose”. Meaning they always look to be a bit squirrelly to me. I’m wondering how yours is set up and what your preference is and Sara's preference?

Ours is adjustable. Since we have a 'traditional' leading link front suspension CSR engineered the front upright with two possible settings depending on what you prefer.

Currently it's set steep, and it seems to be happy there. The traditional leading link long chassis is very stable at high speeds and very easy to drift with lots of control. The trade off is that steering effort is higher compared to a hub-center bike, and of course you're turning the tire up on edge every time you turn the bars as opposed to hub center which keeps the tire in a flat plane regardless of steering input.

Our bike you can literally run down the front straight WFO hands-off and it won't wiggle. It's very user-friendly for a F1 chassis, that's just the way Jean-Guy builds them, fast and easy to drive.

You get into a bike like a traditional double-a-arm push rod suspension hub center steering LCR and you're looking at something that is amazingly twitchy in a straight line and will change lines in a corner with so much as an eyebrow raise. It requires a very delicate and quick hand on the bars, but with enough practice it's a weapon with the right driver/passenger.

Becker makes a nice chassis now, his 2008 tube chassis is looking very good these days, and I wouldn't mind upgrading to one next season.

zentime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Thanks for getting back to me on that. Most of what you said makes perfect sense to me. My preference is for a more stable setting even if it means a little heaver steering. I'd rather have it under steer than over steer. But then again I'm old and don't have the quick reflexes you young guys have!

although you said...........
Quote:
You get into a bike like a traditional double-a-arm push rod suspension hub center steering LCR and you're looking at something that is amazingly twitchy in a straight line and will change lines in a corner with so much as an eyebrow raise. It requires a very delicate and quick hand on the bars, but with enough practice it's a weapon with the right driver/passenger.

It doesn't make sense to me that it should be twitchy just because its CHS. CHS or LL it still should be a matter of how much or how little trail it has. The Bandit and BMW CHS we built have adjustable trail and can be adjusted from twitchy to stable steering. The ZX14 CHS we're building can also be adjusted to liking as well. Is the trail adjustable on the LCR?

will August ever come............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: