An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: skype Reply with quote

Ever heard of it ? Question

Anyone got it ? Question

Fancy a chat ? Cool
Keith
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use it but know several people that do. Tips/hints:

- beware the installer. Skype itself is not spyware/malware - but it is usually packaged along with things like Kazaa. Download it directly from skype themselves, and pay very special attention to what you are installing during the process (don't just blindly hit "yes" to everything).

- when you dial out there is no caller ID - you show up as either "unknown" with no number, or sometimes "unknown" with the number 012345678. I normally never answer the phone when there is no caller ID - and as a result I never answer when my brother-in-law calls.

- sound quality varies from below-par to absolutely unintelligible. Connections between the UK and the USA seem to be the worst. If you normally call people while gargling underwater in a tunnel, of course, you may not notice this Confused
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul
I'll be carefull here, since I seen where you are based Big Grin

I've used skype for a few months now to talk to fellow Steelers supporters around the USA.
We talk through the computer not the phone and it's very clear, guy in Tampa sounds like he's next door.

See if you keep your unbeaten record after sunday Laughing
Keith
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skype definately varies - sometimes it's as clear as can be. I use Vonage - similar technology - and it has better odds of success, but does have it's bad days too. Your internet router is probably the main thing that can make a call go bad.

American football I have next to zero interest in. It's a major pain living in this area, since there is no coverage of real sporting events, only whatever Boston team happens to be winning at the moment. Personally I'll be cheering on Manchester's pride tonight, and skipping the game tomorrow.
arbalest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: guarantee Reply with quote

Keith, how's it feel this morning?

Mike Lydon
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
No problems we just done a Patriots games, don't show all your hand in season game wait till play offs.
We finally got a coach who understands this philosophy, Patriots have done it to us for years. Let us beat them in season then show a different team in play offs, wait and see.

Keith
arbalest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Pats Reply with quote

Keith,

Good luck with that. Hope it works out for you. After Smith's shoot from the lip remarks, I expected a much more physical game. It looked like the Pats showed you one team in the first half, so that just when you think you might have them figured out, you don't. It was a fun game to watch. I really expected more game from them than we got.

Mike Lydon
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Smith is a clown, he young and not in control.
He's caused numerous needless penalties which have have almost lost us games, figure he'll either get a slap soon or on the waver wire. Cool

Saying that if the Patriots get to the big one, well it'll be nice to see New England doing well from Old England Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Keith Very Happy
arbalest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Pats Reply with quote

Keith, is there much of a following of American football in England?

Mike Lydon
sidecarkeith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Dare I say it I think there's more interest in American Football than Sidecars in this country.
I would say there is a die hard following of a few thousand like myself that have been around for a long time.
Who like most things you like and are naive about we used to run around buying anything with the NFL logo on.
With the concept of satalite TV showing games live and almost live, we now have a younger breed that follow it too.
I think you'd find that these supporters are very knowledgeable not only about their teams but the game in general.

We tend to be spread out in little bunches and be independant when travelling to games, we used to try to time it so the Steelers had two home games. We came over with about 12/20 fellow fans about 3 or 4 times a year.
I'm afraid after 9/11 killed a lot of travelling for many, including ourself.

After a 9 hour flight followed by the 4 hours waiting going through customs, whilst they almost stripped every nut and bolt off my wifes wheel chair and went through her medications that did it for me.

The internet also opened up new avenues of information and meeting fellow supporter.

I usually listen to games live on Pittsburgh local radio with their bais commentary, via the internet Big Grin
This year I finally got round to watching the games off the internet although I'm not too happy with the NFL changing the times to suit the TV companies prime time slots. lucky I'm retired or those 4am starts could kill my work life, Big Grin

keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: