An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP sidecar in the North

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: HP sidecar in the North Reply with quote

Bandito and I are spending tonight at Toad River on the Alaska Highway in northern British Columbia. Should be in Alaska in another couple of days. Hope y'all at Maggie Valley are having better weather than us for the last couple of days.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather was almost perfect.
I had a blast, I'm sure everyone else did as well.
Have a safe trip and send some pics.
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
Dar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandito (Suzi, I call her) and I have been to the westernmost highway point in N.America, just outside of Homer, Alaska. Since one of the other bikes broke down in Alberta on the way up here, I've been carrying a passenger; it's handy to have that sidecar thing along. Suzi is working fine, no problems even on the gravel roads that we've been on. Gas mileage really sucks, though. But we're having lots of fun. Pictures will have to wait till I get home and figure out how I'm going to post them, but I do have a few.
Dar Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Dar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Home Again Reply with quote

Suzi and I made it home from Alaska safe and sound last Saturday (July 14), a little over 11K miles in 4 weeks for the trip. Picked up the repaired other bike on the way home, so finished the trip solo, as I had started it. But as I mentioned in my last post, it certainly was handy to have the sidecar. Got home to a dead hard drive on my computer, which is the cause for the delay in this message.

The Bandit was really comfortable for the miles we put on in the 4 weeks (with the new Corbin seat), but riding with that third wheel off to the side does seem to beat you up a bit more than riding on 2 wheels, especially on the less than smooth roads that we encountered.

Have not yet calculated the gas mileage for the trip (converting all those liters of gas in Canada to gallons), but think it will work out to somewhere close to 30 mpg, which isn't too bad I guess, but a lot less than the BMW's I was traveling with. And I was certainly the one calling for the most frequent gas stops. And when traveling with a group, more frequent stops translates to a LOT more wasted time at each stop.

All in all, I would have to declare that the Bandito makes an excellent sport-touring rig. (Not that we really did any sporting riding on this trip; when we tried some of the "twisties" recommended by Alaskan riders, we all were pretty bored and disappointed with the experience.)

The two people that rode as passengers in the Bandito (swapping turns on the other 2 wheeler) both found it to be an excellent place to nap while traveling, and the windscreen and tonneau cover kept them pretty well protected when it was raining.
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for the report. It's great to hear the trip went so well and the Bandito prevailed. 30mpg actually sounds pretty good. Do you have any pictures you can post?

Later in the summer we should be be getting together with Larry and his rig. Maybe you could join in and tell us all about your trip. We'll let you know when we expect to be in Vermont.

Last edited by zentime on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
bmcsheehy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas.
2011 Concourse / California Friendship III.
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
1936 Ford Fordoor Humpback
www.Yankee-Engineering.com
Dar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have lots of pictures, but am still waiting for a new computer at home before I can even look at them myself, other than on the small screen on the camera. And then figure out where I can post them somewhere so I can link to them. (any suggestions? some of the users here use the Fotki site - how's that one?) A lot of the pictures should end up on my friend's website (the guy who ended up riding in the sidecar for a good portion of the trip), but that will probably be a few months away.

Keep me posted about any future rides, although if we wait till Christmas, I'm going to have to make it an afternoon ride- I think I should at least stay home with the wife for Christmas morning. (Besides, that's the day Santa brings me such nice presents as new Corbin seats for my bikes Big Grin )
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the pictures I just put up I used the free version of Photobucket. seems to work just fine.

Quote:
although if we wait till Christmas, I'm going to have to make it an afternoon ride- I think I should at least stay home with the wife for Christmas morning.

dam, you are hard core! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

it'll be before Christmas or you'll be riding by yourself! Smile
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of sites like Photobucket, etc. If you post content there, they can do anything they want with it themselves. From their user agreement:

you hereby grant to Photobucket a nonexclusive, royalty-free, transferable, worldwide license to use, copy, modify, prepare derivative works from, distribute, publicly display and publicly perform and process your User Content, or any part of it

Most free-upload sites are the same.
Dar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted a few pictures in the Pictures/Photos section of the forum.
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: