An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie needs info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klr650hack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: newbie needs info Reply with quote

Hello all. I love motorcycling, and now I am stationed in Kodiak Alaska. I am needing advice or plans for building a sidecar/sidehack for the snow -- as much as studded tires help, and extra tire would help more. I cannot afford a new car (E-4), and am hunting for plans and knowledge. I have come to realize that I have a lot to learn, and don't want to comprise safety. I need a simple, safe rig.

So where do I go from here? Is anyone willing to assist?
docmike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, can't help you there, maybe some of our more Northenly members could help.

Also try here http://www.sidecar.com/ if you haven't already.

Good Luck

Mike
zentime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also look in these forums for what you're looking for.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/NE3WheelersClub/

I think there is someone on SCT that has a KLR650 with a hack. I also saw one at the Northeast 3 Wheelers event a couple of weeks ago but don't know who it belonged to.
zentime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

docmike wrote:
snow? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mike

warm enough down there in the south! Laughing Laughing
Dar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want a rig to drive in snow, maybe some off-road riding (I don't remember a lot of roads on Kodiak Island from when I visited the Coast Guard base there many years ago) maybe what you need is something along the lines of the 2WD Ural. Doesn't fit in with the "high performance" aspect of this forum, but could still be a lot of fun. On my recent visit to Alaska with my rig, I didn't see, but heard about a couple of Urals, I think around the Anchorage area. And the high performance aspects of my Bandito were totally wasted on the roads in Alaska, anyway.

Dar
2009 BMW R1200GS
1978 BMW R100RS
docmike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
warm enough down there in the south!

warm and toasty Cool
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EML, among others, makes off-road sidecars that could be attached to a BMW GS. Much, MUCH better solution than a Ural - much more reliable, parts are available, and they'll be able to keep up with traffic (a 2WD Ural tops out at maybe 50 MPH).

Check out the EML E2000 on their web site.
Dar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
EML, among others, makes off-road sidecars that could be attached to a BMW GS. Much, MUCH better solution than a Ural -

Very true.

My only point in mentioning the Ural option (Yes, I realize it's way out of place on the HP sidecar forum) is that for someone who can't afford a car, a GS with EML sidehack is probably out of reach too. The 2WD option would certainly help driving in the snow, a stated goal for this project and 50 mph is probably fast enough for driving around Kodiak Island. Low tech, low performance, but it might fit the situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: