An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hannigan LT sc (Open Concept or Wrap windshield)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tourdog 7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Hannigan LT sc (Open Concept or Wrap windshield) Reply with quote

I have a mid-april date for adding the LT sc to my 99 K1200LTi at Murray. The standard windshield is the "full wrap" and the "Open concept" has the soft roadster like 1/4 windows. Those of you who have either one is the contents of the car more "available" to a thief than the full wrap? If you stow the HT does that provide enough ventilation with the full wrap around w/s to not get too much static from the "minister-of-finance" and/or "she would must be obeyed"? This model comes with vent slots and a 3 speed fan but I don't know how anemic these might be.
And, lastly, which one looks better IYAO?

Any opinions will be much appreciated as is this site. I lurk here alot.

Carl

K1200LTi
K1100LT w/ ECC
zentime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and always good to see people un lurk! We need more contributions and less lurking. Attention Big Grin
Don't have an answer for you but you best pay attention to the "minister-of-finance". Our advice is free but you don't have to live with us. Laughing
I don't know of anyone on the forum that has the LT sc. I think Bandit Bill is the only one here with a full size Hannigan sidecar. He may have some input. I think a would be thief could get at your stuff in either case. I'd get the one that looks best to you guys and the one the "minister" likes best. Smile Lots of air is nice in the summer.
Tourdog 7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zentime,
Thanks for the reply. Great avatar there. I've told my MOF/ SWMBO 'd when I get all checked out in the sc thing that we'll start each trip making circles like your avatar shows and when we return, almost the same............... but, just right turns to unwind! Shocked She seemed Shocked Laughing

Carl

K1200LTi
K1100LT w/ECC
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zentime wrote:
Welcome and always good to see people un lurk! We need more contributions and less lurking. Attention Big Grin
Don't have an answer for you but you best pay attention to the "minister-of-finance". Our advice is free but you don't have to live with us. Laughing
I don't know of anyone on the forum that has the LT sc. I think Bandit Bill is the only one here with a full size Hannigan sidecar. He may have some input. I think a would be thief could get at your stuff in either case. I'd get the one that looks best to you guys and the one the "minister" likes best. Smile Lots of air is nice in the summer.

Mine is not really directly applicable to his question - it's a production orphan.

As far as full wrap/enclosed goes, with mine, with the full wrap-around, full coverage windshield, and top 'hatch', it is weather elements tight, and relatively theft-proof. Hannigan equipped the original Comet series of sidecar with lock sets to keep the hatches closed against intrusion - of course if they want something in there bad enough, they are just going to give your $500+ bubble windshield a smack to break it and get what they want anyway - Out of sight is a better course of action than stowing things of value inside the sidecar IMHO.

As far as comfort goes for a passenger, I really can't comment on that either - My sidecar seat is setup such that only the very top of the passenger's head is in the windstream .. it's low enough that the passenger can be inside with the top hatch on in inclement weather. My passenger does sit lower than in the newer fully enclosed Hannigan models - you'll see that the current hatches are dished for helmet clearance when on.. my model is not. When the hatch is off and stowed in the LT, more of the passenger's head is exposed to the slipstream than on mine.

'Slim' will give you an idea of how deep he sits inside my sidecar.. he's 6'4" and anatomically proportioned correctly Smile

It really depends on your climate - if it's hot and humid, the enclosed Hannigan is a good secondary EZ Bake oven.. on the other hand, with an open top, you better have your tonneau cover at the ready in case the rain comes fast.. SHMBO will not be happy if her arse gets damp with a wet seat.. I do have a molded in vent setup in mine, but no built in fan except for the velocity of top speed Smile I haven't entertained a passenger in my sidecar very much at all though, so i can't report on the ventings effectiveness, and 'Slim' ain't been saying..

All that said, the full coverage sidecar windshield/hatch has been a plus for me, as mine sat outside without benefit of shelter for three years when not in use .. i wouldn't have wanted to have done that with an open-top. Fortunately, i've bought a townhouse with a garage, so that'll be changing just in time for the new season.

An open top has it's advantages and disadvantages, as does a fully enclosed top.. If i had the money, i'd go for an open top - mine was an older, used Hannigan that pretty much fell into my lap without me looking for it, and so i didn't really have the choice to make at the time.

I'd go LT full wrap, if what you want to do is longer distance touring. I'd go open top if you plan on shorter distance sport/sport-touring.
Tourdog 7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zentime , Bandit Bill,

Thanks for the replies! It appears the "Open Concept" hatch is openable by someone and the "Full wrap w/s" is an obviously the more secure of the two but of course the bubble w/s could be broken like any car w/s. Carrying a longish fly rod/ hunting bow and/ or shotgun will require fabricating some sort of lockable "longbox" for the sidecar it would seem. One idea (not all bad!) is to buy new fishing rods (more sections), a "take-down" bow and shotgun! Ouch! My MOF probably wouldn't approve! I don't know what the longish dimension is diagonally in the trunk but that could be an option too. I use my motorcycles as transport from the motorhome and will do the same with the sc rig. I used to pull a car behing the M/H but the sc rig should really be nice. Thanks again for the replies. BanditBill, I bet you get some startled looks at stop lights! Shocked

Carl

K1200LTi
K1100LT w/ ecc
Bandit Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourdog 7 wrote:
Zentime , Bandit Bill,

Thanks for the replies! It appears the "Open Concept" hatch is openable by someone and the "Full wrap w/s" is an obviously the more secure of the two but of course the bubble w/s could be broken like any car w/s. Carrying a longish fly rod/ hunting bow and/ or shotgun will require fabricating some sort of lockable "longbox" for the sidecar it would seem. One idea (not all bad!) is to buy new fishing rods (more sections), a "take-down" bow and shotgun! Ouch! My MOF probably wouldn't approve! I don't know what the longish dimension is diagonally in the trunk but that could be an option too. I use my motorcycles as transport from the motorhome and will do the same with the sc rig. I used to pull a car behing the M/H but the sc rig should really be nice. Thanks again for the replies. BanditBill, I bet you get some startled looks at stop lights! Shocked

Carl

K1200LTi
K1100LT w/ ecc

Carl:

I don't know how the new Hannigans are constructed inside, whether they have a bulkhead behind the seat (some didn't, some did on the Hannigan Comet - the precursor to the LT model i think - mine doesn't.) but by reclining the seat back i could get 10 foot lengths of lumber into the sidecar through the rear hatch, and close it down fine.. check the new version of the Hannigan LT.. it might be a non-issue.

Umm, yes, 'slim' does elicit some looks, and at least one near heart-attack once when i was house-hunting and a prospective neighbor happened to glance over and see 'slim' grinning over in her direction.. i heard her shriek over my revving motor and earplugs Big Grin
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are planning on carrying a shotgun (or any sort of gun) on a bike, check your local and state laws. In California, a gun must be carried in a LOCKED compartment - like the trunk of a car - and not accessible to the driver. I don't think the trunk on a touring bike qualifies.

So, most sidecars wouldn't qualify (not locked), but the sidecar trunk might. I don't think a locked box placed inside the sidecar would count, unless it was permenantly attached.

(A friend in California is a competitive target shooter, but cannot travel to the range on any of his motorcycles - he's forced to take his car).
Tourdog 7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditBill,
Well, if I had the 10' 2x4 haul ability I'd just park my F-150! I expect having the sc will enable some "creative" hauling situations! It is great to see a sense of humor........ "Slim" is definitely a class act!

Paul,
I know what you mean about hauling sporting weapons. In an SUV with the cased shotgun(s) in the rear area of the vehicle (not a trunk) the LEOs/ Game Wardens look but have never said anything. I would think it would be the same for a sc. But, it should probably be looked into further or better, simply, broken-down/ cased and locked in the sc trunk. I don't know if a set of 28" barrels will fit inside a K12LT Hannigan sc trunk?

I know this rig is no HPS but you fellas are a wealth of knowledge, thanks!
Anything you can think of if you can remember back when just starting out in sc please type it out! And, yes I am studying Mr. Kendall's book.

Carl

K1200LTi
K1100LT w/ecc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: