An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: chs Reply with quote

hi everyone just a quick question iv just started to build a chs for my triumph 900 and would like to know if trail is a consideration with these setups or can the front wheel be placed where you like.
also ill add some piccies if you can tell where is the best place is??
im also adding a swaybar and changing the complete sidecar wheel swingarm setup and adding car wheels all round.
hopefully ill keep my daughters happy on next rideout next year faster dad faster (dont tell your mom)
hill billy engineering in england
zentime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: chs Reply with quote

moses wrote:
hi everyone just a quick question iv just started to build a chs for my triumph 900 and would like to know if trail is a consideration with these setups or can the front wheel be placed where you like.
also ill add some piccies if you can tell where is the best place is??
im also adding a swaybar and changing the complete sidecar wheel swingarm setup and adding car wheels all round.
hopefully ill keep my daughters happy on next rideout next year faster dad faster (dont tell your mom)
hill billy engineering in england

yes, trail is a consideration. The amount of trail/caster with CHS will effect straight line stability and steering effort as it does with any front-end. Be it a sidecar outfit or a car, the principal is the same.

Here's a link that I just found you might find interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle

A British hillbilly, there is such a thing Question Question

Just what we need around here is more hillbillies Laughing Laughing

I'm LMAO just thinking what it would be like sittin round the campfire listening to a British and Kentucky hillbilly talking sidecars Laughing Laughing
moses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

no im not a hill billy just an absolute sidecar maniac etc and have found this site one of the most informative there is give me a bike and ill teach it a lesson with a birmingham spanner(big hammer) i thought thats what hill billy engineering meant in america we call it bodging just joking?????anyway thanks for your help i think some of the videos of you guys are great and would never of thought in a million years of some of the mods you'v done im really inspired on this refit.
anthony
moses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: i forgot to ask Reply with quote

yes i know the difference between trail and castor but when i say trail i mean in relation to where the front wheel would of originally started off ie wheelbase???is it ok to move the front wheel forward of its original position to give more room etc for linkage suspension etc most other things i have got my head around sorry to be a pain.
anthony
zentime

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: i forgot to ask Reply with quote

moses wrote:
yes i know the difference between trail and castor but when i say trail i mean in relation to where the front wheel would of originally started off ie wheelbase???is it ok to move the front wheel forward of its original position to give more room etc for linkage suspension etc most other things i have got my head around sorry to be a pain.
anthony

I guess what your asking, is it ok to lengthen the wheelbase. I'd have to say yes. Many of the European rigs are done that way.

btw, glad you found the site and find it helpful. Please post pictures of your project along the way Big Grin
Ralph

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing hehe Moses me thinks that was directed at me Very Happy

Bad Bill Smile
docmike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moses,

Don't worry about being a pain, they survived all my questions while I was doing my CHS upgrades.

On this forum we've got the Yankee engineers, Bill and Bill and the Hillbilly Engineers, Ralph and Jay

I'm probably closer, gepgraphically at least, to the Hillbilly types except that its flat as a fritter around here.

And for some usefull information, I hope, My rig grew a couple inches in wheelbase with the CHS upgrades and it doesn't seem to be a problem and it has adjustable caster. Look for the K11 upgrades thread.

Mike
67 Triumph 650 chopper
92 Suzuki GS500 (eldest son)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    An international forum for people interested in modern high performance road going sidecars. Forum Index -> HPSidecar Technical Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: